Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:18:23 AM EDT
Late last night I was listening to some talk radio, and the host asked the guest:

"Does the US military still buy .223 ball ammo from China?"

This seems like an absurd idea. Does anyone know anything about this? The host seemed very confident that we did indeed buy miliary use ammo from China. I doubt it.

Look forard to any info people have!

-David.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
We have not, and do not, buy ammunition from China -- mainland or island.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about all that, But I do know the U.S. Mil purchased over 300 million rounds from
Taiwan. BTW- I am Taiwanese American and Taiwan is NOT China.

www.spacewar.com/2005/050106095659.qo2jdpbs.html

many more links available.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't know about all that, But I do know the U.S. Mil purchased over 300 million rounds from

Who said, in this thread "Taiwan was china"?
Although, the Chinese think Taiwan is china.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Prove it.  Show me a link to the contract in FedBizOpps or an official USG web site.

Your referenced internet article quotes "Tiawanese military sources" and "...planning to buy...".  I did not see the words "awarded a contract".  You might as well quote the National Enquirer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not saying nuthin... but unless I slipped a decimal point, that works out to about 21 cents a round.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prove it.  Show me a link to the contract in FedBizOpps or an official USG web site.

Your referenced internet article quotes "Tiawanese military sources" and "...planning to buy...".  I did not see the words "awarded a contract".  You might as well quote the National Enquirer.

If you notice the date on that article, it's Jan. 6 2005. Alot can happen in 6 months. At Ft. Campbell last month, I was involved in a "train-the-trainer" marksmanship program. Not all of our practice ammo was LC. Some of it just had a NATO cross and 04 for the headstamp. The lot # was something like PMJ14001-0021.I was thinking it was South Korean. Maybe it was Taiwanese.

ETA. - 10 days after the initial article, a US source denies the ammo purchase.  2 months after that, sources say were not buying the ammo but trading them 400 Harpoons for it. Then a couple months more after THAT, The talk is about Taiwans ammo shortages. Who knows.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Up until the Nixon Administration, the U.S. recognized Taiwan as China.  In other words, the big, mainland Communist Nation was not officially recognized.  This policy essentially dissed mainland China's fall to communism.

This is still my personal policy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you notice the date on that article, it's Jan. 6 2005. Alot can happen in 6 months. At Ft. Campbell last month, I was involved in a "train-the-trainer" marksmanship program. Not all of our practice ammo was LC. Some of it just had a NATO cross and 04 for the headstamp. The lot # was something like PMJ14001-0021.I was thinking it was South Korean. Maybe it was Taiwanese.

ETA. - 10 days after the initial article, a US source denies the ammo purchase.  2 months after that, sources say were not buying the ammo but trading them 400 Harpoons for it. Then a couple months more after THAT, The talk is about Taiwans ammo shortages. Who knows.

The USG awarded contracts to IMI and Olin-Winchester in December 2003 (FY04) for 70M 5.56mm cartridges each; these did not begin to deliver until well into 2004 and would continue well into 2005 (12-month funded delivery period).  Most of this I suspect was commercial pack ammo.  The USG also bought some off-the-shelf NATO-spec ammo from the British in 2004 that was excess to their needs.

You may have fired some of this ammo.

Last time on this subject - the USG has never bought Tiawanese ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top