Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2010 8:28:36 PM EDT
Anyone have an SN-4S, if so, what are your impresssions?  I know US Optics are top notch, but I never hear much about the SN-4S.  The price seems reasonable compared to other 1-4x offerings.  I wonder how it stacks up to more expensive optics like the S&B Short Dot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
im interested also
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
im interested also

So I,m I...
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Jerry Miculek seems to like his SN-4 . . .

They are great scopes with a great company standing behind them.  Probably the biggest criticisms are the weight (20.8 ounces) and the lack of daylight usable illumination.  They are also FFP, so reticle selection is critical.  You're going to want a reticle that is still visible at 1x without illumination. I think their JNG reticles (MIL or MOA) are the best, but unfortunately they only offer them in their 1.5-6x version.  Hopefully that changes someday.

(MOA version)

(MIL version)

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran an SN-4S for a while, in the end I got rid of it.  Didn't like the DOE reticle, it was slow to pick up, and I wanted a bit more magnification.  I was moving towards a Short Dot when USO did a GB on Snipershide on a new reticle for the SN-4 1.5-6X designed by the C2 range, which is relatively near me and a place I frequently shoot at.  Those nice folks train several PD and Mil units on their range, including teams from Little Creek.  They took the feedback they got from those guys and designed the reticle, then got USO interested, so they did a limited run.  Now I run a that scope with the new C2 reticle in green illum, EREK
1/10 MIL elevation and the US#1 M40 Style 1/10 Mil windage knobs on my 18" build.  In one word, it is great, fast up close, and precise enough for me to get solid hits out to 300 yards, which is the farthest I can shoot around here.
Not looking to move to a Short Dot anytime soon .

8/25 ETA:  Details on the scope and the reticle are here:  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=126902&Number=1385908#Post1385908

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like all the cool reticles only come in their 1.5-6x model.

What's up with that!
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you checked out the Nightforce scopes?  Their 1-4Xs are lighter and they do have good glass with a nice assortment of reticles.  The USOs seem to be on the heavy side for what they are.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
USO scopes are heavy, no doubt, due to the rugged construction.  Example:  

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It sounds like all the cool reticles only come in their 1.5-6x model.

What's up with that!

You'll find that if you speak to the nice folks at USO they have other reticle options they may be able to provide you with the SN-4S.

USO has been real slow to update their website, a fact I've passed along to my local USO rep.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
check this out...just ordered one...and its already shipped!!!!

http://www.cpwsa.com/u_s__optics.htm

i am really looking forward to this!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That Lund reticle looks nice, he's been talking about it on Eno's boards for awhile.  Note that Lund made that reticle specifically for the 69 grain bullet at 2850 fps, since that's the load he uses in competition.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Looks like a winner––I may have to order one my self  

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That Lund reticle looks nice, he's been talking about it on Eno's boards for awhile.  Note that Lund made that reticle specifically for the 69 grain bullet at 2850 fps, since that's the load he uses in competition.

if im not mistaken that is the same bullet type, velocity as the prvi 69gr match that i shoot..or at least close enough
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I used a SN-4s with a circle cheveron reticle for most of my last deployment to Afghanistan.  It was banged around for about 8 months and went throught alot.  The scope works great...  That said it was heavier than most other optics.  The clarity it offers blows ACOG's and most other fighting optics out of the water.

CMS

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think it blows the ACOG out of the water, I had two SN4s over the years, always ended up selling it.  Still have my 4 4x32 ACOGs

When it comes to optics clarity I think they do.  I'll keep my ACOG over the SN-4s as well...but for a RECCE carbine the SN-4 is perfect.

CMS
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't think it blows the ACOG out of the water, I had two SN4s over the years, always ended up selling it.  Still have my 4 4x32 ACOGs
USO glass is superior to what Trijicon uses in ACOGS.  I honestly don't see how you can say otherwise with a straight face.  Now, if the question is which is the better combat optical sight, ACOG wins hands down, due to it's simplicity and ruggedness.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
USO scopes are heavy, no doubt, due to the rugged construction.  Example:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ewpwPTA6Q

Wow, that's impressive.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Followup question, who are some good online vendors for USOptics?

Quoted:
Have you checked out the Nightforce scopes?  Their 1-4Xs are lighter and they do have good glass with a nice assortment of reticles.  The USOs seem to be on the heavy side for what they are.

I've got a NXS 2.5-10x24, and I like it, so the 1-4x is an option.  I've never owned a USO scope, but I'd like to give them a try.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jerry Miculek seems to like his SN-4 . . .

They are great scopes with a great company standing behind them.  Probably the biggest criticisms are the weight (20.8 ounces) and the lack of daylight usable illumination.  They are also FFP, so reticle selection is critical.  You're going to want a reticle that is still visible at 1x without illumination. I think their JNG reticles (MIL or MOA) are the best, but unfortunately they only offer them in their 1.5-6x version.  Hopefully that changes someday.

(MOA version)
http://www.usoptics.com/get_image.php?uid=RET-084

(MIL version)
http://www.usoptics.com/get_image.php?uid=RET-101

Those reticles are available in the 1.8-10 version also.  I have the JNG-Mil in my 1.8-10 but the ring isn't as thick.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
USO glass is superior to what Trijicon uses in ACOGS.  I honestly don't see how you can say otherwise with a straight face.  Now, if the question is which is the better combat optical sight, ACOG wins hands down, due to it's simplicity and ruggedness.  

Go with the ACOG optics or Nightforce 1 /4 NXS –– I have owned a few differnet USO scopes over the years ( Got sucked into all the Hype ) with in weeks of owning them I sold them- I was not impressed with the Glass
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go with the ACOG optics or Nightforce 1 /4 NXS –– I have owned a few differnet USO scopes over the years ( Got sucked into all the Hype ) with in weeks of owning them I sold them- I was not impressed with the Glass

I've used ACOGs, Nightforce, Leupold, and USO.  USO has the best glass out of any of those IMO.  They get the raw glass from Schott while Nightforce, Leupold, and Trijicon get glass/finished lenses from Asia (Nightforce comes from Japan, hence the high quality.  Not sure on the others) so take that for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hype?  USO glass is all Schott glass, same source for Zeiss (who owns Schott), Swarovski, and Schmidt & Bender.  Their simply is no better glass out there then Schott.  If you had an issue with the glass, you should have contacted USO, there was something probably wrong with the scope, either tube contamination due to leaks or someone didn't follow the specific lens cleaning instructions USO provides and used a lens cleaning cloth and/or solution, which is a "no-no" with high end glass coatings.

I don't want to turn this into another pointless "my scope is better then your scope" argument, you're happy with your Nightforce, and that's really all that matters.  NF is a good scope, good glass, and I wouldn't try to knock it down.  I simply prefer my USO's for variable power scopes in any power range.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

got it the other day...the reticle is outstanding..the glass?...best ive seen..great scope!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

got it the other day...the reticle is outstanding..the glass?...best ive seen..great scope!!!
Looking forward to a full review after you run it for awhile.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top