Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 5:44:10 AM EDT
i was wondering what are the current day M-16 specs in their infantry?

Barrel Length?

Rifle Twist?

A1 or A2?

Triggers? 2stage?

Crome Lined? SS?

Heavy? Fluted? Light?

dont know if im forgetting what else

THNX
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The M16A2 is current with most American forces.  The A2 designation refers to features like the windage knob on the rear site and the molded-in brass deflector not found on the M16A1.  A2's also have a heavier barrel than an A1.  Both A1's and A2's have chrome lined barrels.  The A2 weighs approximately 8.79 pounds loaded.
The much-maligned M4 carbine is also in service.  It has a 14-inch barrel, a detatchable carrying handle (sometimes referred to as an A3 feature) and weighs 6.63 pounds.
The M16A1 is still in service with Army Reserve and National Guard units.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i was wondering what are the current day M-16 specs in their infantry?

Then read them here
M16A2: www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Specifications/Mil-R-63997B%20m16a2milspec.pdf

M4: www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Specifications/Mil-C-70599A%20m4milspec.pdf

M4A1: www.mcdl.org/Manuals/Manuals/Specifications/Mil-C-71186%20m4a1milspec.pdf

Barrel Length?

For an M16A2 (or A1) its 20", for the M4 its 14.5" (add 1" when you add the flash supressor).

Front line rifle can be M16A2 or M4 depending on which unit you are in.

Rifle Twist?

1:7 for M16A2's and M4s

A1 or A2?

Front Line units are A2 or M4.  Only reserve components (i.e. Guard /Reserve) are likely to have the 1:12 twist A1 rifles.  Perhaps some active duty service support units may also still have their A1 rifles.

Triggers? 2stage?

Military triggers are single stage.  Only the Match guys use two stage triggers (probably because the M1s and M14s they used to shoot had two stage triggers).

Crome Lined? SS?

All military rifles are 4150 Chrome/Moly with a chrome lining.

With one exception:  The SPR (Special Purpose Rifle), a sniper type M16, uses a Stainless steel barrel for optimum accuraccy.

Heavy? Fluted? Light?

None of the above.  Standard A2 & M4 barrels are 'light' under the handguards and a 'medium weight' (.72") from the front sight to the threaded section of the muzzle.

A1 barrels are 'light' and are .60" under the handguards down to .57" near the muzzle.  The A2 & M4 are a few thousand's thicker under the handguards than the A1 IIRC.

BTW the SPR is fluted IIRC.

dont know if im forgetting what else

Stock?  Then again since they are A2 rifles they will have A2 stocks.  Even many of the A1 rifles now sport A2 stocks as its the only part in inventory for replacement.  M4s can have either the orginal CAR style telestock or the newer Colt version (most have the older version).

THNX
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thnx for the QUICK and DETAILED answers Muselix and Forest.

Im planning to buy a Military spec rifle..

Now if i can find some M995 AP ammo somewhere[:p}
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thnx for the QUICK and DETAILED answers Muselix and Forest.

You're quite welcome.

Im planning to buy a Military spec rifle..

To get EXACTLY to spec you'd have to find a pre-'86 M16A2 from Colt.  VERY expensive.

To get a close non-NFA M16A2 (semi-only) is much easier.  You can even get a fairly good facimiliy in post-ban form (using KKF's A2 muzzle brake or Faux FS).

Now if i can find some M995 AP ammo somewhere[:p}

I realize your joking - but M995 is VERY rare (special occasions only) and illegal for Civilians to own (IIRC it uses a tungston core which is not allowed for civilians).

If you want 'Mil-Spec' stick with M855.  Olympic makes a decent M855 clone for a decent price. (I still prefer M193 myself).
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Forest said: If you want 'Mil-Spec' stick with M855. Olympic makes a decent M855 clone for a decent price.

Go to the ammo forum and read the sticky on Olympic ammo.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeff,
I've done lots of chronoing on Olympic SS109 for the ammo forum.  I've never had any issues with the ammo.  It goes bang, ejects properly, is consistant enough to meet the spec, and its velocity meets the mil-spec.

Of course I'm firing it out of a Bushmaster with a chrome lined M16 sized chamber (i.e. Mil-Spec chamber).
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Forest, is it illegal to own, or illegal to sell?

I disremember, but have the ATF regs at home.

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Forest, is it illegal to own, or illegal to sell?

Ya got me I don't know off the top of my head, and I don't have the time right now to check the regs.

If I get some time I check up on it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, it's a bit confusing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like selling & importation are the illegal acts.  However there is not many other ways to get it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, but then there is a specific list of AP Ammo.

Plus, if it was manufactured before the ban...pre-ban ammo???  I dunno if that round was made before the ban???
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The M4 can also have a new enhanced stock with built in cheekpad and water tight compartments for spare batteries.  The originals are the most common, The Colts are standard replacements for those, and the enhanced is part of the newer SOPMOD's.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top