Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2003 11:44:14 AM EDT
Hey all!

Saw recent reference to the USMC's SAM Rifle in an after-action report from Iraq ... said report indicated there were two versions, an "East Coast" and a "West Coast". One was basically an M-16A4 with an ACOG on it, while the other was said to be more modified and more accurate. The only specs I have been able to locate on the latter rifle were: free-floated stainless or chrome-lined match barrel, flat-top M-16A4 upper, M-16A1 trigger group, variable 3-9x optic and flip-up front & rear sights. IOW, it was pretty vague. Can anyone shed some light on this configuration, and any more detail on what components are used? Pics would be great, also.  

I'm interested in this as a unique (and maybe less expensive) alternative to the uber-fashionable SPRs everyone seems to be having built now...

Thanks!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There is an article about that in the june American Rifleman. In fact they cover all of our current issue weapons in that article it is really good. Lots of M-16 info.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I read a brief article about the M-16A4 in the [u]Marines[/u] magazine.  It appears to be a very sweet and very accurate rifle.  All of the pics I saw of it had a Trijicon ACOG mounted on top.  One of the units at Camp Lejueune have been battle testing it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is what I know about it - The SPR was a very sucessful project that was ordered by SOCOM and admired by the Corps. The fly in the ointment was that the USMC is not a member of SOCOM, so had no official access to the SPR.

As resourceful as the Marine Corps is, they developed their own version at weapons development at Quantico. I have only seen one example. They had named it SMR (special Marksman rifle) at that time. It was built on an A4 upper with a rebuilt A1 (YES) lower, a KAC RAS, used a 20" Kreiger SS barrel in 1/7 twist, had a gas block ans frt sight that I didn't identify. They were using a USO tac scope on it (the designation escapes me- SN4 or something?)with its own mount.

Judging from all of this, I'd figure that it won't be any less expensive than an SPR. Remember that there is still no definitive model of this SMR, just as that's also true about the SPR. Different handguards, barrels, sights, etc. are showing up all over on examples of these rifles.

Also, don't confuse the SMR with the M16A4, which to the best I can tell is a flattop version of the M16A2 with a choice of iron sights and optics. The A4 will become the USMC standard as the A2 gets phased out.

And please don't confuse any of the above with the DMR, which as you probably know is a product improved M14!

HTH
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
the specially built M-16 you describe was not fielded. it was discovered that a stock M-16A4 with an ACOG provided adequate accuracy. the M16A4/ACOG combo was fielded by the west coast as 1MARDIV's designated marksman rifle. 2MARDIV went with the original DMR concept and fielded a thoroughly massaged M-14 which ended up being a maintenance nightmare. rumor has it that east coast may scrap the M-14s and go with the accurized, custom barreled A1 based weapon. only time will tell.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top