Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 8:55:39 PM EDT
What is the purpose of the lines out to the left and right on this reticle?

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess would be a moving target such as a vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Windage
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Adjusting indirect fire.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No.

Those are Mil lines for adjusting indirect fire like mortars and arty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Adjusting indirect fire.

This
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Those are Mil lines for adjusting indirect fire like mortars and arty.

Correct.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Would they be used to estimate how far away the fire is? Based on a man sized target? How would you exactly use them?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]
They are used to adjust fire from initial impact of the first rd onto the target.  Simply put left to right adjustments only but from the looks of that reticle it's not meant to be used by an Arty Scout Observer or really anyone who has been trained to call for fire.  Does nothing for range estimates unless your into danger close fire missions.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would they be used to estimate how far away the fire is? Based on a man sized target? How would you exactly use them?

Not off a man sized target.

Say the enemy is at grid 123456, you are at grid 125488.  You call for fire.  The mortar men fire a single WP round which would make a good bit of fire and smoke.  You see that the Impact is to YOUR right of the target(which may be left and down from the mortar position).  You see thru your acog that the impact was 35 mils to YOUR right.  You tell the mortarmen this, and they do all the fancy math to figure out how much is 35 mills from the distance YOU are from the target, what adjustment that would be (elevation/windage) to move THEIR next shots onto target, etc.  Then they fire either another spotting round, or fire for effect.

Theres more to that of course, but I tried to simplify it.

That's why the tube strokers get all that pay and respect that us dumb grunts can only dream about.

Edit:
Here is a pic from the reticule pic thread:

I can't tell you how sick I am of ignorant people on this forum telling others that those lines are for leading running people.

So, I have decided that from now on, I am going to ask how much lead, and instructions on how to use it.

Edit:  Fixed typo
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say the enemy is at grid 123456, you are at grid 125488.  You call for fire.  The mortar men fire a single WP round which would make a good bit of fire and smoke.  You see that the Impact is to YOUR right of the target(which may be left and down from the mortar position).  You see thru your acog that the impact was 45 mils to YOUR right.  You tell the mortarmen this, and they do all the fancy math to figure out how much is 35 mills from the distance YOU are from the target, what adjustment that would be (elevation/windage) to move THEIR next shots onto target, etc.  Then they fire either another spotting round, or fire for effect.

That's why the tube strokers get all that pay and respect that us dumb grunts can only dream about.
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9326/bild009ok3.jpg

I can't tell you how sick I am of ignorant people on this forum telling others that those lines are for leading running people.

So, I have decided that from now on, I am going to ask how much lead, and instructions on how to use it.

Now that I have seen the real reticle, I have no doubt it can be used for adjustment of Artillery or Mortar fire.  The stated example is close to how it's used to adjust fire.  Tube strokers and gun bunnies are not the ones who determine deflection and gun data, that's all done by another group of guys who are talking to the FO.  I would imagine the scope would only be used when the binos are damaged or already in use by another member of the same 2 man team.  I wish they had this kind of stuff when I was an Artillery Scout Observer!

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Also used to direct attention to or fire on a position that is hard to see from a well established point.  Ie..."From that burning truck, 4 clicks right at the base of the brown bush, fire".
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say the enemy is at grid 123456, you are at grid 125488.  You call for fire.  The mortar men fire a single WP round which would make a good bit of fire and smoke.  You see that the Impact is to YOUR right of the target(which may be left and down from the mortar position).  You see thru your acog that the impact was 35 mils to YOUR right.  You tell the mortarmen this, and they do all the fancy math to figure out how much is 35 mills from the distance YOU are from the target, what adjustment that would be (elevation/windage) to move THEIR next shots onto target, etc.  Then they fire either another spotting round, or fire for effect.

Edit:

That basically says it all.

And aren't the lines for shooting into the wind while leading people that are running...
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

Great post, thanks...
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And aren't the lines for shooting into the wind while leading people that are running...

Oh, no no.  They are lead lines for shooting down insurgent jet fighters.  Use 1 hash mark for every hundred miles per hour the jet is going.  (Note hash mark widths are different on RCOA4 and RCOM4 models)
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought the leading hash marks were only on the Border Patrol models.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top