Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2009 6:02:14 PM EDT
I am going to be refinishing some older USGI 20 rd mags and I wanted to know if the metal follower on the older mags should be replaced with the newer USGI green followers and are they the same followers used in 30 rd mags.
TIA Ray
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO Those metal followers off of older 20 rnd mags are some of the best out there for 20 round mags.

Leave them alone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If they are straight mags then the green follower won't fit any ways.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They do make some green and black- current followers for the original type 20 round magazine. However they are identical to the alloy follower except for material.  I think Cpoducts make a magpul type follower for their straight 20 round stainless mags.  I do not know if it would fit in USGI type 20 round mag.  I see no advantage to changing followers in 20 round mags to newer plastic ones.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I would absolutely LEAVE those alloy followers ALONE. Definately extremely reliable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Green followers are not made for 20 rounders. Even some black ones are not.

They do make black plastic followers for 20 round USGI.... but they offer no advantage, they are just cheaper.

I wouldn't change them... I like the alloy personally, although I don't believe it has any real advantage over polymer... just nice to have the history.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Green followers are not made for 30 rounders. Even some black ones are not.

You did mean 20 rounders, correct?  

More specifically - straight 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Green followers are not made for 30 rounders. Even some black ones are not.

You did mean 20 rounders, correct?  

More specifically - straight 20 rounders.

yes... I will correct it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Alloy followers will remain, I actualy am happy with the finish on most of the mags I recieved and will probably just refinish some worn 30rd mags I have and leave the 20's alone.
Thanks for the info
Ray
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
In my opinion, it is just cosmetics anyway.... what is the aluminum going to do? Rust?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
So they don't make green 20 round followers?  OK......

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In the first post, he referenced 'original' USGI 20rd magazines, which only came with the alloy followers.  What you show are commercial plastic followers that came along MUCH later.

It's all about the details...  

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In my opinion, it is just cosmetics anyway.... what is the aluminum going to do? Rust?

I had traded some pistol mags for a bunch of used 20 rd mags. I posted this thread prior to recieving mags. I was given a very conservative description of there condition. After recieving them I was surprised to see they were in much better condition then I expected. I know the exterior condition (dents,cracked lips not included) is just cosmetic but for an hours work and $20 in materials....why not make them look like new???? My real question was upgrading to a gen3 type follwers. The answer I have concluded is alloy followers are  good to go!!!
When spring rolls around and I start to refinish some 30 rdrs I have I may do a couple of the 20's that are not as nice.
Again Gentleman thanks as always Ray
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the first post, he referenced 'original' USGI 20rd magazines, which only came with the alloy followers.  What you show are commercial plastic followers that came along MUCH later.

And he asked about green followers......  It's all about the details.........

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note the reference to 'USGI' green followers, which are only applicable to 'USGI' 30 Rd magazines - your green followers are the commercial plastic followers that I was referring too.  I didn't think I would have to point that DETAIL out to you.  

SMILE!  Just having a little fun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note the reference to 'USGI' green followers, which are only applicable to 'USGI' 30 Rd magazines - your green followers are the commercial plastic followers that I was referring too.  I didn't think I would have to point that DETAIL out to you.  

SMILE!  Just having a little fun.

Your just so helpful....

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top