Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 9:14:49 PM EDT
i have like 5 of them and im pretty sure they are metal not aluminum. should I keep them? they are 30rounders. I did read the FAQ WOW Troy good job on that but it said very little about 40 round reliability issues.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not heard one good thing about USA mags.  Oh wait, I've heard they work really well for FTF training.

Everybody I've talked to has pretty much the same opinions on the 40 rd mags.  "Like to jam".
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I only have a couple of USA mags but use them frequently to practice clearing misfeeds and jams.

They were perfect for teaching my wife how to clear the action, learn the forward assist etc.

USA mags definitely have a valuable role in that arena.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, if it works for you, consider it a gift from the AR gods, and use them at the range while keeping the USGI mags for social encounters.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The best thing to do with USA mags are to shingle a roof with them after you crush them under the tire of your truck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
you guys are all lying and misleading the  guy. Hey CAR97M4 man dont listen to what any of them say, USA mags are the highest quality mags money can buy that is why the SEALs, Delta force,marine force recon and all the other highly elite special elite forces use them. It is your lucky day too because I have some extras I will let you have at a good price [BD]

everyone else shhhhh this will be funny just watch[+]:D]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
They're not even good paperweights.

Realistically, they ARE useful to train people how to diagnose a magazine-related problem.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Well what really sucks is thye are brand new never been used still in there packaging. yehhe heyehehe I know for a fact Delta's force recon and Special forces do not use these mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Ill take all of them for $10.00. I'll pay shipping.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You could always crush them in a vise, get GI bodies (preferably teflon coated) and have good mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
THIS BASHING USA MAGS HAS TO STOP. THERE WAS AN OUT AND OUT LIE ABOUT THEM IN THIS POST. THEY DO MAKE GREAT PAPER WEIGHTS IF YOU FILL THEM WITH CONCRETE...... THEY ARE WONDERFUL PAPERWEIGHTS...... THATS ABOUT ALL THEY ARE GOOD FOR. USGI OR GO HOME
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Ummmm.. if you dont want to use them as paper weights, I have a charity going on for me where you can donate 1 to me. I'm only 19 and just bought my first ar-15 and gun and spent all my money, and had to borrow $400 from my parents, it was hard trying to tell them it was for a good cause. But it doesn't come with a magazine. (Feel bad for me yet?) I just found out this hobby isn't cheap. Don't even have money for ammo when I buy my Mags. Hopefully I can start a ammo charity, 1 bullet from every member.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#13]
You'll enjoy single feeding ammo to your rifle more than you will enjoy trying to clear jams caused by USA mags.  

Really.

They're that bad.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I was told that USA is pretty much all that's available for high cap 7.62x39 AR platforms. At Thunder Ranch there was a guy with a 7.62x39 AR who was using them. He basically told me that he bought about twenty USA's, shot them, tweaked the feed lips on a couple, picked out the 5 or 6 that finally worked and sold the rest at a fun show. I did not noticed him struggling with FTF.

Having told that quaint tale, I've got 75% USGI and 25% Thermolds. Wouldn't have a USA mag for 223.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#15]
The last two in my inventory I sold at the fun show as "Novelty Items" @ $5 for the pair...Still, I wish I would have saved them to destroy and convert using the Replacement mag bodies, but hopefully the guy that bought them from me had some spare concrete and some paper to hold down.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The USA 7.62X39 mags are the only ones currently available, as the original ones are rare. They work better than the mags made for the .223.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Saying that USA mags suck is putting it mildly! I bought 2, tried to use them once and then threw them away.

Only use USGI mags.

I don't have or know of anyone who has experience with the England stuff. I'd still stick with USGI.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ummmm.. if you dont want to use them as paper weights, I have a charity going on for me where you can donate 1 to me. I'm only 19 and just bought my first ar-15 and gun and spent all my money, and had to borrow $400 from my parents, it was hard trying to tell them it was for a good cause. But it doesn't come with a magazine. (Feel bad for me yet?) I just found out this hobby isn't cheap. Don't even have money for ammo when I buy my Mags. Hopefully I can start a ammo charity, 1 bullet from every member.
View Quote

Save yourself the trouble and just get some of the British 30 rounders for $12-15 each on the equipment exchange!

It amazes me that somewhow USA managed to stay in business long enough to crank out these mags by the thousands.  Of course, the fact that many of these high-cap USA mags are still in the original package  9 1/2 years after the 94 AWB should give you an idea of the reputation they have...
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Well there good for a gag though. I loaded on of them for just fun today. and set it down. About an hour later. It was self ejecting ammo out the top like a volcano. Im glad its centerfire and not rimfire. Id be shot already.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Why waste good concrete on USA mags.  Mail them to Bin Ladin as a gesture of friendship.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#21]
The two steel USA (brand) 30 round M16 magazines that somehow magically appeared in my magazine bag have worked flawlessly for years.  

The USA (brand) SIG P228 magazines, however, lived up to the USA Mag tradition of being a POS.

Rule of thumb remains to avoid USA (brand) magazines.  Heck, avoid all magazines but USGI.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
USA mags are junk!!! Espeically the alumium one. I bought a couple a few year back, the floorplate will back out during rapid fire and the black paint chipped just after a few insert into the mag well.  One word:Junk!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#23]
If anyone has any USA mags (or any other steel mags) that they want to let rid of, email me.

Seriously.  I have a project that I need them for, especially the 20-rounders. You can even keep the followers and springs if you want. All I need are the mag bodies and the floorplates.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
They are just junk.  Not one good thing about them. Sell them as fast as you can.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought 10 of them for a Mini-14 back in about '93 - yeah, I was stupid back then, and wasn't interested in an AR. Exactly 2 of them didn't jam, 8 did.  I parkerized the 2, and sold them with the gun. The other 8, I threw away - yes, that was a painful lesson, buying a Mini-14 plus $120 worth of sh*t mags...

Never again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
USA Mags SUCK!!!!!!!

Damn Slash I wished I would have known you needed them Mags I threw away (1) 20rd and (1) 30rd about two months ago when I was home in KY.
Brother in-law some how got them given to him so I used them or a little target practice when we ran out of paper.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Suck?

Yes. Specefically,"ass",in copious quantities.

As others have mentioned, good only for clearing drills,or as paperweights.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have a spare one around they'd part with for the cost of shipping? I need something to fill and use as a lower reciever vice block.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I had four of the steel USA magazines that I tweaked and rebuilt with Wolf springs and green followers. Still working fine at the range after 3 years. POS yes, but with some feed lip work and a few prays they can be made into range mag's. to save those USGI's
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top