Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2002 5:51:53 AM EDT
Does anyone use these (USA Magazines)on here?  I found some preban 30 rounders (NIW) at http://www.gunsandammoauctions.com/ that only needed a little bit of cleaning.  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Unreliable crap that are best avoided.

Check out the [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=17&id=26]Mag FAQ[/url].
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!  I should have asked here first. [>(]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't cry!  They can be made to work almost as well as any other mag.  The biggest problem is with the feed lips.  You may have to tweak them up or down to make them reliable.  Most of them won't engage the BHO but I've got alot of GI mags that don't do that either.  

I hate to amdmit this, but I used to mold the plastic followers and baseplates for USA.  Their molds were crap and should've been scrapped and remade.  But that's what they wanted so that's what I made.  So don't blame me! I offered to make new molds for them but that would've cost them money they didn't want to spend to keep customers.  Toward the end, before the company fell off the face of the earth, they actually started doing some mil-spec and o.e.m. stuff that was really nice.  Then along came the California laws and federal high cap ban and they just gave up.  I've still got all their molds sitting on my shelves and USA is nowhere to be found.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
However, Never consider tweeked mags for self defense.

You just learned an inexpensive lesson...USGI si,  USA NO!

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I was recently given a USA mag from a guy who said he used to own an AR years ago. This mag had been sitting loaded for years in his garage and he didn't need anymore. I took it to a shoot last weekend just to give it a try. Unbelievably the mag fed reliably and even dropped free afterwards. I decided to load it and try again. Every time I tried it after that first time the last two rounds would try to pop out of the mag. It would work for a range mag but definitely not what I would call reliable to say the least. The money saved by buying these mags definitely isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, have a couple of sanchez mags on the way from Steve. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They still exist:

[url]www.usa-magazines.com[/url]

-Troy
View Quote

No they don't.  Well, maybe in Cyberspace.  That website has been like that for months now if not years.  It's actually gotten smaller too.  Before, the links and order pages were still working and now they don't.  They still owe my company a shit load of money and they are nowhere to be found.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a USA 40 round mag that works perfectly, even when loaded with 42 rds.  It was purchased from Midway a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Crap at any cost
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They still exist:

[url]www.usa-magazines.com[/url]

-Troy
View Quote

At least the web page does.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
You are all wrong! USA mags are very useful and have a purpose. Shooting reliably is not it, but they work great for practicing malfunction clearing.

If you want to be very good at getting back in the fight fast when the forces of evil have thrown a monkey wrench in your well oiled action or tampered with your very reliable USGIs, then you need to practice malfunction clearing. The best and fastest way is to use USA mags.

Best because you never know exactly when they will cause a malfunction or what type. Just like the real "oh $hit" scenario.

Fastest because you don't have to set up each and every malfunction before you clear it, just keep shooting. More than likely one of the next few rounds will be a malfunction.

Empty a dozen or so USA mags in a session and you are sure to be able to get back in the fight fast the next time you see that double feed or that half closed bolt carrier. Even the dreaded stovepipe brass sticking out of your action can be speedily cleared with this type of practice. Even though FTE(failure to eject) malfunctions are usually not magazine related, the cure is very similar.

So don't think that just because they don't feed reliably that USA mags are of no use. People underestimate the importance of the skill of malfunction clearing. If ever you need to shoot for your life, you want a functioning weapon. If your weapon isn't, you want to be able to make it so FAST. Using USA mags(during practice) could save your life.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top