Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 2:41:03 PM EDT
Just got my Stagarms Model 4, fired the first round and the bolt got stuck shut. I managed to get the casing to eject, and thinking it was a mishap i tried again.. It happened again!! Now I can't get the bolt open no matter what, its stuck almost all the way forward and the thing with the teeth is lined up to where it should be... I just can't get this to open!

This is a brand new rifle and my Bushmaster M4 doesn't seem to have a problem ejecting Wolf 55gr FMJ ammo!! The Stag says its 5.56 but it shouldn't have a problem with .223...

Any help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Takes a bit of courage but..................

maybe someone else will offer a more subtle approach
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/Clearing20Jam.jpg

nope. that's the best way to do it if it's really stuck. now if it's really, really stuck ... stomping on the CH would be the next alternative. Ouch!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, if you have a collapsible stock, make sure it is all the way in before slamming the buttstock on the ground, otherwise, that will be the last time it collapses

Not that I speak from experience, but I saw someone do that at a range with his M4.  Slam, then uh-oh..

Edited to remove edit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

if it's really, really stuck ... stomping on the CH would be the next alternative. Ouch!

Been there, done that.  

Yes it worked without twisting the charging handle up. But use only as a last resort.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Any idea why it would do that especially since its new?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
No guys, I didn't have to slam my rifle around... I had to put a cleaning rod in the barrel and bounce it against the casing a few times to get the bolt to retract and the case then ejected... what the fuck is going on? Might call Stag tomorrow and see if I can just get a new upper...

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I got 2 posts going on because nobody answered the first for a while there... My bad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have seen wolf ammo get stuck in a few guns there was some problems with there 5.45X39 ammo too, the cases were not to spec. They isolated the problem with a lot #.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Do like the picture Redfisher posted asks. You'll know it's really stuck if you do that and the rim is ripped off the case.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/Clearing20Jam.jpg

That's gotten me out of quite a few jams.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Hold the rifle upright with the butt stock resting on a work bench.  Hit the charging handle down with a rubber mallet.  Just a quick hit and it'll extract.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hold the rifle upright with the butt stock resting on a work bench.  Hit the charging handle down with a rubber mallet.  Just a quick hit and it'll extract.

Well, I'm not about to take a rubber mallot to my gun... haha... i just took a cleaning rod and bounced it up and down in the barrel lightly and it moved the bolt down enuff to eject the brass... not sure what's going on but I'm sending the upper back to Stag.

I even took my Bushmaster bolt and put it in the Stag and it still had the problem so It's gotta be something in the Stag upper reciever.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
grit your teeth and do what is in the pic

edit i see you got it out with a cleaning rod nevermind then

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]

It's gotta be something in the Stag upper reciever

....or the ammo.  Have you ONLY used Wolf?  hmmmm....

Try some new mil-surp or WWB before sending it back.

flcracker
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Also, if you have a collapsible stock, make sure it is all the way in before slamming the buttstock on the ground, otherwise, that will be the last time it collapses

Not that I speak from experience, but I saw someone do that at a range with his M4.  Slam, then uh-oh..

Edited to remove edit.

Its best to just remove the stock body completely off of the buffer tube then whack the tube on a wooden surface...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just got my Stagarms Model 4, fired the first round and the bolt got stuck shut. I managed to get the casing to eject, and thinking it was a mishap i tried again.. It happened again!! Now I can't get the bolt open no matter what, its stuck almost all the way forward and the thing with the teeth is lined up to where it should be... I just can't get this to open!

This is a brand new rifle and my Bushmaster M4 doesn't seem to have a problem ejecting Wolf 55gr FMJ ammo!! The Stag says its 5.56 but it shouldn't have a problem with .223...

Any help would be appreciatedhr

For what it's worth my M4 bushmaster has the exact same problem as yours with the wolf steel case....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=275046&page=1?

I have to pull back the charging handle and ram the cleaning rod down the barrel... make sure it's a spent round tho ;)

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No guys, I didn't have to slam my rifle around... I had to put a cleaning rod in the barrel and bounce it against the casing a few times to get the bolt to retract and the case then ejected... what the fuck is going on? Might call Stag tomorrow and see if I can just get a new upper...

Try different ammo before you do so.  Otherwise, I'm positive Stag will help you.  Those guys are great.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a similar event two days ago, it was due to a not inspecting the ammo closely enought, it was a badly distorted case that jammed on the way into the chamber. The bolt had not cammed closed but would not move.

The first thing i tried was banging the butstock, but it did not budge. Remember, thsio was a live round.

I had some smith tools with me so I took a punch that would fit into the gap between the bolt carrier front and the barrel face and slid it into the gap, then tapped down on it with a small mallet. Tow or three gentle whacks and the bolt slid back and the round popped out.

be carefull!

efxguy
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]
My Armalite did that when new.  The carrier key wasn't staked and was really loose when I got it apart.  Tightened, restaked, and it never happened again.  Something to check on.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe it's just me.  But my M4gry is an instrument of war, just like my M16A2 is.  Sometimes you just have to beat on them a little bit.  If I have to baby my gear or my rifle something is wrong.  I've kicked, dropped, smashed etc., hell, my Senior DI once threw my rifle down the entire length of the squadbay, sparks flying and all, and I still shot expert with the damn thing.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Maybe it's just me.  But my M4gry is an instrument of war, just like my M16A2 is.  Sometimes you just have to beat on them a little bit.  If I have to baby my gear or my rifle something is wrong.  I've kicked, dropped, smashed etc., hell, my Senior DI once threw my rifle down the entire length of the squadbay, sparks flying and all, and I still shot expert with the damn thing.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I agree, these things are meant to take some abuse, I wouldn't dare drop one, but if I did I'd be confident it would still be fully functional.  I know someone who dropped an m-16a2 out of a chopper during an STX (prob 40 feet) and the thing was fine.  (He wasn't afterwards, but that's a different story)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#24]
There's no doubt that you can abuse these things... and we know it!  Especially those of us who have "used" service rifles.  Why people beat the shit out of their POWs just because they know it can take it is beyond me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
wolf ammo did the same for me.... jammed my m16a1 and my stag.... switched to the old faithful.. winchester 55g FMJ.... did the trick... the wolf ammo is moody... like my wife....

switch the ammo. then call stag....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Based on what you have tried (swapping bolt carrier groups and all) I would suspect you have a ruff chamber or an undersized chamber. Since the gun is new let the manufacturer deal with it. If the chamber is ruff, they will simply polish the burrs out and it will be fine. If it is a chamber issue, they may just replace the barrel. Should have been caught if they test fired the rifle at the factory before it shipped.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top