Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, well this won't exactly be a complete build, basically me just fitting together a lower receiver and an upper. However, this will not only be my first AR15 but also my first gun, so I want to make sure I make the right choice. Originally I wanted to get a remington 700 vsf for some long range target shooting, but I have an indoor 100 yard range nearby a lot closer than the outdoor 4-500 yard range. So, I would use something like an AR15 a lot more than the remington 700 most likely. Besides, I rented one at the range the other day to shoot the ar15 for the first time and it was awesome, I loved it. Ok, now to the gun. I really like the way Cav Arms MKII lowers look. I was thinking of getting a cav arms lower and mating it up to a stag arms lefty 20" upper. I do everything righty, except shoot haha, I'm a lefty at that. So, would those two match up right and work properly? Also, I really would like to get something as accurate as possible. Are there any suggestions for a different upper that would be more accurate and in the same price range ($600 or so)? Doesn't have to be a lefty upper, I just would prefer to go with the stag arms lefty if it will work. Maybe go with a varmint upper with the heavier barrell from someone else? Sorry for the ridiculously long first post, hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If accuracy is paramount, look at getting an upper that is not chrome lined and is heavy barrel it's full length.  Consider free float handguards and an A3 upper for a good target scope.  A decent trigger is a must for accuracy work.  Any upper will usually mate with a differant brand lower.  Go with what you can afford.  HTH

Tom
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a lefty - the AR system is ambidextrous.... the left handed upper was a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Yea I don't mind getting a righty upper, I shot the bushmaster 20" a few days ago and had no problem when using it lefty. A few questions to that though, I figured the chrome-lined barrel would be more accurate just cause it seems to be an extra add on that costs more, what's the difference? Also, what's the difference between regular and ff handguards, and it I go with the A3 upper for my optics, would I be able to retain iron sights with the optics as well?  I originally wanted to just mate an upper with a lower to save myself doing the work because I have no gunsmith experience, but if I need to do some of the work myself I don't mind, I'm pretty handy, just don't want to screw anything up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks. Yea I don't mind getting a righty upper, I shot the bushmaster 20" a few days ago and had no problem when using it lefty. A few questions to that though, I figured the chrome-lined barrel would be more accurate

No.  Chrome lining theoretically degrades accuracy.  Typically not to the margin of error of most peoples shooting ability, however.

just cause it seems to be an extra add on that costs more, what's the difference?

Spend some time reading and searching.  This is a commonly discussed topic.

Also, what's the difference between regular and ff handguards, and it I go with the A3 upper for my optics, would I be able to retain iron sights with the optics as well?  I originally wanted to just mate an upper with a lower to save myself doing the work because I have no gunsmith experience, but if I need to do some of the work myself I don't mind, I'm pretty handy, just don't want to screw anything up.

I recommend you spend some more time reading this website.... to help you decide and answer your questions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am a lefty - the AR system is ambidextrous.... the left handed upper was a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.

The problem did exist, which is why a solution was finally developed.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem did exist, which is why a solution was finally developed.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been doing some reading/searching but haven't found much in specific terms of explaining exactly the advantages/disadvantages or reasons for a chrome lined barrel, as well as for ff upper and such. I didn't see much in the articles either. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've been doing some reading/searching but haven't found much in specific terms of explaining exactly the advantages/disadvantages or reasons for a chrome lined barrel, as well as for ff upper and such. I didn't see much in the articles either. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Well, I just did a 30 day search on the term, chrome:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=266326

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=266077

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=220072

Those pretty much nail the chrome.  As you can see this comes up all the time and isnt hard to find.  

As for FF tubes... the info is out there... you just have to read and search a lot to find it.  Basically, a FF tube is designed to increase accuracy by removing the human factor in placing stress on the barrel between shots or positions, by the sling, bipod, or your grip.  It also provides a solid foundations to attach lights, lasers, limited optics, handles, etc...    I dont recommend FF rails unless you really want the accuracy or optics benefit - there are many 2 piece easy-install railed guards on the market that meet most needs.  If you want the best FF railed tube - get a LaRue.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help. Looking around online and checking with everyone's recommendations for something accurate, I think I may ditch the idea of a cav arms lower and just go with a full rifle from rock river arms. I don't exactly like the look of the stainless barrel, but it does have the 2 stage match trigger, FF handguards, and raised rail for my optics. I'm talking about the RRA EOP Varmint rifle. Would there be a big accuracy difference between the 20" and 24" barrel? Also, on their website it comes out to being almost $100 cheaper if I buy the lower and upper for the rifle seperately, only difference is it wouldn't come with a mag and their case/manual. I would imagine it's worth it to purchase the lower/upper seperately and just mate em together right? Let me know what you think. Here's a pic of the rifle I'm talking about, but I'm thinking about the 20" one. http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/06veop.gif
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help. Looking around online and checking with everyone's recommendations for something accurate, I think I may ditch the idea of a cav arms lower and just go with a full rifle from rock river arms. I don't exactly like the look of the stainless barrel, but it does have the 2 stage match trigger, FF handguards, and raised rail for my optics.

I hate raised rails and would rather use mounts to get the correct height.  I like standardized parts, but that is just me.

I'm talking about the RRA EOP Varmint rifle. Would there be a big accuracy difference between the 20" and 24" barrel?

Zero.

Also, on their website it comes out to being almost $100 cheaper if I buy the lower and upper for the rifle seperately, only difference is it wouldn't come with a mag and their case/manual. I would imagine it's worth it to purchase the lower/upper seperately and just mate em together right? Let me know what you think. Here's a pic of the rifle I'm talking about, but I'm thinking about the 20" one. www.rockriverarms.com/images/06veop.gif

Sometimes it changes the warranty, since buying parts does not equal a factory rifle.  The $100 most likely covers the excise tax that must be paid on complete firearms.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
You might look into supporting website backers. I have done business with Eaglefirearms.net and was very happy. Reading more will help you make your decision.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top