Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2004 6:37:31 AM EDT
In the past alot of people talked about the type of steel they used for their gongs and targets.

What type of steel will xm193 NOT penetrate at 100+ yards? There was a certain spec for the different steels that some would cut through like butter and others were ideal?

Basically we are having a few either, 12" x 12" targets or 12" diam targets made. Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Most rifle proof targets are made from 500 brinell steel.  I am not sure what that means.  I did price some locally and a 4x8 sheet was something like $1200 IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
And the big thing for when you get that sheet is to make sure that when it is cut that it stays at 500b and doent soften.
I've used 1/2" thick mild construction steel for shooting at but the minimum I've shot it at so far is 300yds. At that distance with a .223, I get a very small dent and the steel will handle thousands of rounds. I'm not sure how it would react at 100yds though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
goto wwwmgmtargets.com  they have alot of steel targets and have free shipping.  the 500 brinell steel is the hardness of the steel.  the lower the number, the softer the steel.  harder is allways better
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive got one for you.. DO NOT use the large 12"x8" steel plates the railroad uses to set rails. They are tempting... Ive got an entry and exit scar on my calf from this experiment.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And the big thing for when you get that sheet is to make sure that when it is cut that it stays at 500b and doent soften.
I've used 1/2" thick mild construction steel for shooting at but the minimum I've shot it at so far is 300yds. At that distance with a .223, I get a very small dent and the steel will handle thousands of rounds. I'm not sure how it would react at 100yds though.

It WILL crater and throw schrapnel.. See my above post..
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I use AR400/500 steel 3/8 inch thick, and it stops all pistol rounds flat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A cheep alternative is to weld together two pieces of 1/4 inch mild plate.  M193 will penatrate the first plate but the second will absorb the round and only dent.  I get a whole season of shooting out of these.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It WILL crater and throw schrapnel.. See my above post..

And there you have it...dont shoot at it under 300yds. I would probably say dont keep it as a static target also, I set mine up to swing and I get a small dent with .223 and a moderate sized dent with .308.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Also mount the target on an angle (tipped forward toward you.  That way the fragments and shrapnell will deflect down into the ground at the base of the target
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
goto wwwmgmtargets.com  they have alot of steel targets and have free shipping.  the 500 brinell steel is the hardness of the steel.  the lower the number, the softer the steel.  harder is allways better

www.mgmtargets.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top