Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2005 4:03:01 PM EDT
Where can I find an exact discription of the type III anodizing process.

I always read that it is not done at home because of the high current and low temperatures required.

I have ac and dc welder both capable of 300 amps.

As for cool temperatures, dry ice can be purchased at a local store for a resonable price (dry ice has a surface temperature of -109.3 degrees F ).

If these are the only requirements that differ from type II anodizing (high amps and low temperatures), the process could be done at home..... or is the something else I should know?

Thanks .... Mike
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Start reading here - you may find something there.

Caswell
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, same here.  Was thinking of the same question.  

I'm not sure about Caswell having a type III finish, although they claim to conform to MILSPEC 8625F which is what Bushmaster claims for its finish as per their catalog.

Frontsight
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The bulletin board could provide you with some educated discussion on the topic.  I haven't spent much time there, but I may in the future.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top