Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2003 11:22:50 PM EDT
I am at my local pawn shop(country owened) and see two pre-ban AR/15 setting on the ledge!

They don't look too cool so I ask can I look at them,and they are a PWA pre-ban with a colt 20 inch With flash sup and bayo lug !

The other is a DPMS pre-ban W/bushy 20 inch with flash sup and bayo lug! And Ser Numbers check out!

He is asking 599 for each!  So I don't have a job or money,so I put 50.00 down and say hold the Dpms bushy for me!  

Then I think about it and call him and tell him hell just put them both back for me!

Now I have to weed out the guns to sell to buy these bitches!

I don't want to sell my Garand or savage 99 in .308 or ten mil pistols but something has  to go!

You ever put your self in this position?

Damn I have to give up some to get some!

I am going to offer them to family first,then you my friends!

This is an early DPMS with BECKER and such right where the cat should be,and I know PWA is cast and shit,but this lower looks pretty good!

Is there anyone else that would have failed so badly as I to get two for the price of one?

I have a bushy 16 with a god awful brake,with the pre-ban DPMS I can put an adjustable stock on it and mount the 16 and have a short and loud CQC rifle!

What do you think is the DPMS or the PWA the lower I should keep?

Bob
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would just wait and see what September '04 brings us, before any Pre ban buys.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would just wait and see what September '04 brings us, before any Pre ban buys.
View Quote

Generally speaking, I agree with this.  However, at that price I don't think bobbyjack has much, if anything, to lose.  I'd jump on it too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never seen a cast PWA pre-ban or post-ban. That does not mean there arent any out there. They are the quality "sleeper" on the pre-ban market.

Maybe you are thinking of PWA or the early Oly's?

Bob
Get them both, BTW.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck getting $1,200 hope you get um.

You should ask the dealer how much time he will hold the rifles for you, you may want to know when you need the money or lose your $50
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Bobbyjack,

Be very careful; look at and write down the serial numbers, then run a check against current manufacturer historical databases to make sure they are bonafide prebans. Manufacturers like armalite even have an online lookup, I used it to verify my Eagle Arms preban before I bought it at a gun show.

$599 sounds too cheap, especially for a pawn shop. It seems like they are usually quite aware of what guns are worth, and often ask a bit more. Prebans are still going for $900-1500 at gun shows and in auctions, that sounds too good to be true.

There was a guy that posted here a while back (can't remember who) that bought a Bushmaster preban that was very cheap, and the serial was within the range. But when he called Bushmaster to verify, they said they had records showing that it was sold as a stripped lower AFTER the AWB. This makes it a documented postban, not good. If the preban recever was sold as a stripped lower, but the date of sale is not documented anywhere, it is up to the ATF to prove it was not a preban rifle before the AWB, but if the manufacturer has documentation that it was in fact sold as a stripped receiver after the ban, it is a postban even though it has a preban serial. There are skanky individuals out there selling guns like this in preban configuration, be careful.

It's easy enough to check. You don't want to get ripped off. If they won't let you note the serials to verify, DON'T BUY THEM (unless you want them as postbans). But if they check out OK, then it's a fantastic deal, if the lower receivers are in good shape.

Be wary, be very wary.

_DR
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep I was thinking the same way,so I wrote both serial numbers down and checked AR/15 serial numbers!

Both are way below pre-ban cut off dates,and the DPMS was before they had the panther on the magwell like a four digit ser number!

The PWA is the one I think I will claim for myself it looks to be forged,the buttstock is worn to hell so looks like I will be looking for a colapsable one!    

I sold a bolt Savage scoped in 30/30 today to start the layaway proceedure!  Double 10 guage goes tommorow!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds to me like all of the guns you are selling...you can get back or replace one day by saving up again.

If the AWB is renewed or made permanent, you will be glad that you are doing this. If it does sunset and is not renewed, then you still got those guns at a very good price.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Marinesniper I have sold many guns that I can never get back(one 1894 New Navy Colt)the best I have ever seen on Gunsaution and any Vegas show probably the finnest 1894 in America!

But by selling it to my son-in-law it is the same as in the family!

All of my guns have been purchased by trial and error till I became a member here!

Now what I have to offer are all primo from trades,and buys!

And what I offer up are just that,up tradeing to get what I really want!   A gun is nothing more than a tool to me and just like a cheap knife that won't hold an edge,a gun that I can't hit with is soon gone(no matter how cool it may be)!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
get a signature loan, buy both of them, sell one to pay for the other.  = free preban AR15.

you can get around $600 for the dpms lower.  part the rifle out and get more.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you will find that, if you ever want to use a RDIAS, the PWA is the way go.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Go back with your credit card and get both.  Ask for a price break for purchasing two guns.  Then Sell one for about $900 or $1000.  Then you will have paid very little for your preban.  Or shit sell both, and make some profit.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top