Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 11:44:23 AM EDT
    I have a Bushmaster with a 1in 9, 16" barrel, I know it should stabilize pretty much anything from 68gr and down. Now when it comes to anything heavier it seems there are all kinds of conflicting information out there. I read the ammo oracle FAQ and it seems that it pretty much says 80gr and down. A post, that I think I read here, said you'd be lucky to stabilize a 77gr round. Does anyone have the answer, or is this a trial and error kind of thing that will vary from one rifle to the next?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Since every barel wil have it's own inconstancies, these are ment as guides.  The best way it to see what works best in your own rifle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to clairify, weight has nothing to do with it. The factors that matter are caliber and bullet length. Since your caliber will be consistent on the gun, people refer to the different weights of the bullets. Since they're all the same diameter, a heavier bullet will be longer. Different bullet construction (i.e., solid copper vs. copper over lead) would also affect this.

That said, the 75 grain bullets are questionable in 1:9. Some members have reported they work fine; others get keyholing. 68/69 grain should work, though. I suspect the 77 and 80 grain loads wouldn't work, but give it a try if you want.

I just ordered a box of 68 and 69 grain stuff to try. I'm leery of trying the heavier stuff, just because it ain't cheap! So, I'm trying the ones that [i]should[/i] work to see how it goes before I spend more $$$ on stuff that may or may not work at all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my 2 cents.
Just got back from the range after all day testing of BH 60's , 68's and 75's.
Out of my 20" RRA and my 20" bushy and also a friends 24" bushy we couldn't see any practical difference in poi.They all shot good. No problems of any kind. We shot from 25 yrds to 200yrds.It is my opinion that the changes in point of impact where so minor as to only be of importance to a bench rester.They where all "Minute of ground hog" out to 200 yrds.
To tell the truth I didn't see much difference in this "heavy" stuff and the way M193 or 3131A shoots in our guns, even though this is "match ammo"
I'll be the first to offer that this was in no way a conclusive test of any kind,just my experience
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If 1/9 will stabilize 72's okay, then who's tried them and wouldn't that be better than 68/69's?

Would love to see some one post trials with a bushmaster 1/9 chrome barrel using various bullets and 300yds or better. All the AR books talk about competition shooting with 1/8's and 1/7's but for most of us here 1/9 is probably the most common one owned here.

I can see the heading now. Maximizing long range results with a 1/9 barrel. Film at eleven. Hope someone will post.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ye old formula for figuring the "optimum" rifling twist is as follows:

L x t = 150
Or,
150/L = t

L (length of projectile in calibers, OR Length of projectile divided by caliber)

t (rifling twist in calibers)

So a .224" diameter procectile that is say 1.155" in length would have an "L" of 5.15625

150 /  5.15625 = 29.090909 calibers (remember .224? ) or a optimum twist of 1 in 6.5" (rounded off)

I had read this in an article and I figured I had to use in in a conversation at some point! [beer]

Tex78

Edited cuz i cant spell
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
L x t = 150
Or,
150/L = t

View Quote

OUCH math!! Me brain now hurts. I'm thinkin' I'll just have to do some testing to see what I come up with. I'm hoping to try some of the 75gr TAP ammo, is this available to civilians?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OUCH math!! Me brain now hurts. I'm thinkin' I'll just have to do some testing to see what I come up with.
View Quote

Your right on this one, just be sure you get to test to the max range you'll use it for, so you'll know in advance if your going to have a problem!

I'm hoping to try some of the 75gr TAP ammo, is this available to civilians?
View Quote

I believe it is.  Georgia Precision offers the widest variety off ammo I've seen, and would probably be a good place to start.

Tex78
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top