Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
Thinking about trying a heavier rnd. in my 20" 1/9 twist barrel. Question is does the extra velocity of a 20" barrel increase my odds that a 75 or 77 grain bullet will stabilize? Will the chances MK262's 77gr. bullet will stabilize before a slower 75 gr. bullet because of higher velocity? Simply put does increased velocity increase bullet stablization? I'm tring to decide between BH's 75gr. and mk262 and don't want to waste money on something I can't use. Does anyone know if mk262's yaw faster in actual shootings than the long neck found in gel?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Question is does the extra velocity of a 20" barrel increase my odds that a 75 or 77 grain bullet will stabilize? Will the chances MK262's 77gr. bullet will stabilize before a slower 75 gr. bullet because of higher velocity? Simply put does increased velocity increase bullet stablization?

No, velocity is not the answer, twist rates often vary between manufacturers, so one 1/7"twist may be close to another's 1/8", etc. The trick is buy one box or two of said ammo and shoot it at the range and see how it does for you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, increased velocity DOES increase bullet stabilization, because the bullet will spin faster.  HOWEVER, a slight variation in barrel twist rate (1:8.9 vs 1:9.1) can have a big impact on whether a given bullet will be stabilized or not.

-Troy

So 77gr should stabilize well in a 20" m16a1 barrel with a 1/12 twist?

ETA:  Interestingly enough, I fired the Orange tip military tracer out of my 11.5" 1/7 twist barrel Friday night.  It stabilized the projectile quiet nice but bullet drop was insane compared to the 20" rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
However (and Troy already knows this) you may be able to stabilize a heavy bullet from a 1/9 in thin Summer air only to find that in thick Winter air the bullet goes stupid at 50 yards.

The only way to know is to try.

Good luck.

SD
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
What grn bullet are you moving up from?  If youre going from a 55grn in a 1/9 upto a 75 or 77 grn youre making too big a jump too fast.  Ya might wanna try a 62 or even a 69 first.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info, I've decided to order a box of MK262 .  I use a wolffe XP buffer spring and like to keep my pressures up to prevent short stroking.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top