Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 6:06:55 PM EDT
Im trying to decide between a Rock River Arms and Ares Bolt Carrier Group.  If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated.  

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Any particular reason why you're deciding between those two BCG's and not others?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive read reviews on several BCG's and the Rock River has really good reviews.  Ive heard good and bad things about Ares.  But this is my first build and this will complete it.  I just don't want to waste my money on something that won't perform.  so any advice would be great.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of good BCG's out there. I have zero personal experience with the 2 you have listed, but I do have several Colt, Daniel Defense & Spikes Tactical BCG's. All have been 100%.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy LMT or BCM either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO there is high end LMT enhanced. Then you have mil spec equivalent BCG's- DD, BCM, Spikes, Colt, FN, etc. These are all pretty giid BCG's. Very similar in quality are the 9310 and C158 bolts without HPT and MPI, most of these are just fine as well. Then you have 8620 bolts, those are a no go.

I have never seen the stats on how many bolts are culled by the HPT/MPI test. My understanding is very few are culled by the process. Since heat treatment is done in batches I view batch testing as a viable alternative even though it doesn't meet mil spec.

ETA, I believe JP has an advanced bolt design as well. I've read toi many issues with the sharps BCG's and I won't use one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a Stag and don't look back.  You can spend more, but you won't get more.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything I have purchased from RRA has been just fine.  No idea on your other option.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]

RRA has a good reputation, but their communication and shipping are lackluster...Ares has been good for my son and I, four of their bolts between us and never a problem.

I recommend their low friction nitride BCG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0LP0cfmAEw
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
BCM makes a great BCG
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCM makes a great BCG
View Quote

Agreed...as does PSA.

Its hard to beat a basic mil-spec phosphate C158 BCG, the only reaon I went with nitride BCGs is due to the crazy humidity down here in LA...anything that sits too long will rust, so the more nitride/melonite, the better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BCM makes a great BCG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#12]
BCM, Colt, DD.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I went LMT.  Why? I don't know but I'm sure you'll be okay with any of the premium brands.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agreed...as does PSA.

Its hard to beat a basic mil-spec phosphate C158 BCG , the only reaon I went with nitride BCGs is due to the crazy humidity down here in LA...anything that sits too long will rust, so the more nitride/melonite, the better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM makes a great BCG

Agreed...as does PSA.

Its hard to beat a basic mil-spec phosphate C158 BCG , the only reaon I went with nitride BCGs is due to the crazy humidity down here in LA...anything that sits too long will rust, so the more nitride/melonite, the better.

Yep. Best option there is. Only so many people make BCG's, so if you stick with well known companies and follow the part in red, you're destined to end up with a high quality BCG. No miracle coatings either. Learned that the expensive way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep. Best option there is. Only so many people make BCG's, so if you stick with well known companies and follow the part in red, you're destined to end up with a high quality BCG. No miracle coatings either. Learned that the expensive way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM makes a great BCG

Agreed...as does PSA.

For $150.00 arms unlimited has Colt BCG's free shipping most places 199.00 good deal in my book.

Colt BCG
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For $150.00 arms unlimited has Colt BCG's free shipping most places 199.00 good deal in my book.

Colt BCG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM makes a great BCG

Agreed...as does PSA.

Colt BCG

IMO - There is nothing better then a standard Colt M16 BCG. That is the standard that everybody else (BCM, DD, etc.) tried to match. Some of them have done a good job but no one has done it better (unless you are looking for a special finish) and $150 shipped for a BNIB genuine Colt M16 BCG is as good as it gets.

Sure, the RRA/Stag BCG's are less expensive and will usually get the job done just fine but as far as reliability goes, the BCG is one of the most critical components in the AR platform so I personally think its worth spending the extra money there to get the best. YMMV?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

IMO - There is nothing better then a standard Colt M16 BCG. That is the standard that everybody else (BCM, DD, etc.) tried to match. Some of them have done a good job but no one has done it better (unless you are looking for a special finish) and $150 shipped for a BNIB genuine Colt M16 BCG is as good as it gets.

Sure, the RRA/Stag BCG's are less expensive and will usually get the job done just fine but as far as reliability goes, the BCG is one of the most critical components in the AR platform so I personally think its worth spending the extra money there to get the best. YMMV?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: SNIP

I have to disagree. Colt BCG's are the standard, but several companies have designed BCG's to beat the standard. Specifically the LMT-E BCG and KAC's proprietary BCG/barrel extension. While the majority of HPT/MPI BCG's are directly on par with Colt and simply sought to emulate Colt's performance, LMT E-bolts will last longer due to their superior design and material. The question is whether the superior design is worth the extra money.

http://www.lmtstore.com/parts/bolts-carriers-and-groups-complete/556-enhanced-bolt-assembly.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Colt BCG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM makes a great BCG

Agreed...as does PSA.

Colt BCG

I ordered that BCG yesterday after seeing the link in the other thread. You can wonder if the BCG you're buying is GTG, Or you can buy a Colt and know for sure it is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I like Young's carriers, the chrome is easy to clean and they are nicely made, but it seems they can be a little hard on uppers occasionally.  I have a phosphate Toolcraft, and it is nicely made.  The phosphate carrier in my PSA upper seems about the same as a BCM I bought a long time ago, and has worked just fine for the few hundred rounds it's been around for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Continental Machine & Tool
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the $79.95 BCG from AIM Surplus and move on with your life; you won't regret it. Or spend a few dollars more and get the NIB or nitride if you want a fancy coated one. Either way, $100 shipped or less and they are fine quality BCGs.

AIM Surplus BCGs
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy a Stag and don't look back.  You can spend more, but you won't get more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have to disagree. Colt BCG's are the standard, but several companies have designed BCG's to beat the standard. Specifically the LMT-E BCG and KAC's proprietary BCG/barrel extension. While the majority of HPT/MPI BCG's are directly on par with Colt and simply sought to emulate Colt's performance, LMT E-bolts will last longer due to their superior design and material. The question is whether the superior design is worth the extra money.

http://www.lmtstore.com/parts/bolts-carriers-and-groups-complete/556-enhanced-bolt-assembly.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: SNIP

While these are kinda cool, I have not gotten enough benefit to justify the price.  I've owned 3.  If I didn't give a shit about money in the slightest I might run one but I have not seen any tangible benefit for a bolt that is over 2x the price of a BCM.  They are beautiful tho.  But 170 is just too much...  I'd be ok with 120 but not 170.  There are only so many materials that a bolt can be made from so the "stronger" material is not doing it for me considering that there isn't real proof that these materials significantly outperform carpenter 158 outside of some hypotheticals.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I ordered the Colt BCG from Arms Unlimited and got it today.  I am disappointed that its in a small padded (very little padding) envelope and that's all.  No box, plastic, wrap, bag, nothing...  All the bubbles were popped on the side where the bolt was at so it couldn't have offered much protection.  It does look ok though, pretty hard to mess one of these up.  I assume that a retailer gets a box of these and sells them individually but they should at least wrap it in something before shipping.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I ordered the Colt BCG from Arms Unlimited and got it today.  I am disappointed that its in a small padded (very little padding) envelope and that's all.  No box, plastic, wrap, bag, nothing...  All the bubbles were popped on the side where the bolt was at so it couldn't have offered much protection.  It does look ok though, pretty hard to mess one of these up.  I assume that a retailer gets a box of these and sells them individually but they should at least wrap it in something before shipping.
View Quote

It's a BCG bro, you could run one over and it would probably be fine lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Bought an Ares BCG a few.months ago when they were on sale and it functions fine. It's my first one with a  NiB coating, it sure does make cleaning easier. I've got 4 other makes of BCG's and this one works just like the others. Nowadays, I can't see why anyone would pay more than a C-note for one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top