Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 8:51:00 AM EDT
I have my rifle set up in Strelok Pro and want to true the BDC to the ammo. Lets say the LPVO has an ordinary zero of 100 yards. If I enter a lower yardage like 90, 75, 65 etc it will move the zeroing distance accordingly.

When I start entering ranges past 100 yards it will also start putting a closer zero in as well. Ex: I enter 150y as the range to zero and it will now show 70/150 on the reticle display thus saying it set a near zero at 70 and a far zero at 150y.

How do I get it so that I can enter 150y and that be the first time the bullet crosses LOS?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
if i'm understanding right you're asking how you can set a zero of 150yds and have that be the only time the bullet crosses line of sight, or is in line with LoS?
It's not possible.  100yds is a unique zero point with .223/5.56 and the AR15 in that it's the ONLY zero (i know of) that produces this behavior.   If you zero at 100yds you'll be dead on at 100yds and anything before or after that your POI will be below your POA.  Whereas with say a 200yd zero, you'll be dead on at 200yds, high at 100, and depending on setup you'll be high before that too until the first point with POA/POI are the same.  According to Strelok Pro for one of my rifles this is like 27yds.

What i've been playing with on Strelok is Zero Offset under the ammo selection area.  I changed it to inches and tried "zeroing" for an inch high at 50yds basically.  According to the reticle screen that gives me a 27/209yd zero.

My issue is confirmation.  The range I belong to has a 200yd burm, but it's up hill as compared to 50yds or 100yds.  By how much I don't know, but I feel like angle might play a role in it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My issue is confirmation.  The range I belong to has a 200yd burm, but it's up hill as compared to 50yds or 100yds.  By how much I don't know, but I feel like angle might play a role in it.
View Quote
Strelok Pro lets you use your phone camera to determine the angle to the target.  Sitting in my living room I just entered +10° into the slope angle and it changed the calculation by -.1moa for a 200y target.

If you have the Pro version (maybe lesser versions as well) you can use the camera in your phone to determine the slope angle to the target.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What i've been playing with on Strelok is Zero Offset under the ammo selection area.  I changed it to inches and tried "zeroing" for an inch high at 50yds basically.  According to the reticle screen that gives me a 27/209yd zero.
View Quote
This is what I do but instead of inches for my offsetting, I use MOA. So if I need to offset I'll offset by 1/2 MOA increments (one click for my scope) so I know for example zero at 200 yards and raise elevation one click I can acquire 200 yard zero and just add a click.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have my rifle set up in Strelok Pro and want to true the BDC to the ammo. Lets say the LPVO has an ordinary zero of 100 yards. If I enter a lower yardage like 90, 75, 65 etc it will move the zeroing distance accordingly.

When I start entering ranges past 100 yards it will also start putting a closer zero in as well. Ex: I enter 150y as the range to zero and it will now show 70/150 on the reticle display thus saying it set a near zero at 70 and a far zero at 150y.

How do I get it so that I can enter 150y and that be the first time the bullet crosses LOS?
View Quote
It sounds like what you're asking is how to find the "peak" of the bullet's trajectory.  Let's start with where you are now:
At 70 yards, your bullet passes through your scope's crosshair on its way up.
At 150 yards, your bullet passes through your scope's crosshair on its way down.

Somewhere in the middle, the bullet reaches its maximum trajectory and begins to drop. THAT is the point you're looking to isolate.  I'm sure there's a smarter way to find that exact "peak", but I would just start testing zeroes in the middle (110y, 120y, 130y, etc) & then look at the drop chart to see where the trajectory tops out.  It'll probably be an odd number, so you might want to change your step distance on the drop chart to 1 yard increments.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
doh! I didn't realize Strelok had the angle/camera feature built in. I'll play with that the next time I'm out.
But, even with just playing with it at home and trying 10deg and 15deg i'm not seeing an enormous difference on a 200yd target.

I guess what I'm struggling with is I've been zeroing stuff at 50yds on this range for a "50/200yd" zero.  According to strelok with either the 62gr stuff or the 77gr mk262 clones if i'm zerod at 50yds i'm about .5 mil low at 200yds.  I just expected it to be closer.
If i zero .2 mil high at 50yds according to strelok i'll be pretty darn close for a 200yd hit.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top