Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 8:46:16 PM EDT
I read the directions on how to install a Troy MRF and it's fairly simple and straightforward. How hard is it to install the Daniel Defense 7.0 FF? On another thread, someone said that on the DD you need to remove the FSB and someone else said you don't need to remove the FSB. So what is it? Also, is there a difference between the Troy MRF-C and MRF-CX? Lastly, when they say to dremel off the delta ring, would it be easier to just remove the barrel and take the delta ring/retainer ring/spring off that way or just go ahead and dremel it all off?

sharp
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The MRF-CX has more railspace, as the rails are extended out past the front sight (it's 10 inches in length i believe).
pic:
http://www.troyind.com/Finished/10
Whereas the MRF-CX simply stops before the front sight
Pic:
http://www.troyind.com/Finished/MRF-C.jpg

Dremeling off the ring is quite easy, you just have to be very careful that you do not accidentally dremel your reciever instead.  Once the ring is off, you can either continue to cut the spring beneath it, or try and rip it off with some vise grips.  All in all, I'd say it would be quicker and easier to just dremel it off than have to remove the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
On another thread, someone said that on the DD you need to remove the FSB and someone else said you don't need to remove the FSB. So what is it?

Having installed both in the last month (a MRF and a DD) I can say YOU WILL need to remove the Front Sight Base.  If you have a permanently attached muzzle device you will need to remove that as well.

My LW FSB removal was easy & strightfoward, my HBAR remove was a bear and a half to remove. YMMV.

Once the FSB was removed, DD installation was fairly easy, and reinstallation of the FSB was quick and easy.

Lastly, when they say to dremel off the delta ring, would it be easier to just remove the barrel and take the delta ring/retainer ring/spring off that way or just go ahead and dremel it all off?

It is MUCH easier and quicker to just dremel the ring off with the cutting wheel - then use vice grips to remove the spring and retaining ring.  Takes 5-10 minutes.   I can't set up the vice, remove the gas tube, remove the barrel, dissassemble the parts, then put all back together nearly as fast.  Unless your barrel is 'over torqued' I wouldn't bother with the barrel removal for the MRF.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys, that was all very helpful info.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you still attach a bayonet with a CX?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you still need to remove the FSB if the barrel is already off? I plan on putting together a SAMR copy and really like the DD rails. I have the reciever and Im still shopping for a barrel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can you still attach a bayonet with a CX?  

I'd think yes, but i don't know for sure.  i don't see why it wouldn't mount, though as the bottom is clear.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do you still need to remove the FSB if the barrel is already off?

Yes.

The barrel nut need to be replaced with the DD barrel nut and the only way to do that is remove the FSB.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Forest..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top