Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2009 3:25:56 PM EDT
Planning to get front and rear Troy BUIS. Which style of front sight do you recommend - the M4 or HK styles?

http://www.troyind.com/Images1/frontM4.jpg
M4 style

http://www.troyind.com/Images1/fronthk.jpg
HK style

This is for my first AR build, and the rifle will be used for fun, light competition, and home/property defense if the need arises (unlikely, but not impossible give I live two miles from a major faultline in the Bay Area).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Planning to get front and rear Troy BUIS. Which style of front sight do you recommend - the M4 or HK styles?

http://www.troyind.com/Images1/frontM4.jpg
M4 style

http://www.troyind.com/Images1/fronthk.jpg
HK style

This is for my first AR build, and the rifle will be used for fun, light competition, and home/property defense if the need arises (unlikely, but not impossible give I live two miles from a major faultline in the Bay Area).

Thanks!

I find that the ring of the HK style sight "locks" the eye into the center of rear aperture much better and speeds pickup.  I've engaged man-sized silhouettes at 400yds using these sights and was easily able to score consistent hits using holdovers.  The AR type front was made to please the more traditional AR crowd.

I'm in Foster City.  Where U?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered the new diamond rear sight and the HK style front.  Why?  Just like the looks of the HK front better....it really is a personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem with the HK type protective ears is the same thing that makes it great for some ... with the semi-circle protective ear, your eye will natuarally align the rear apperture (circle) with the semi-circle protective ear of the front sight. It makes for a very fast sight aquisition ... when you engage targets at the correct distance for that setting.

You will start to have problems when you zero your rifle using the elevation adjustment of the front sight. When this happens, you will now find that your eye still tend to align the front semi-circle protective ears with the rear apperture and not the front sight post. It can be a PITA and confusing. This will however not be a problem if your rear BUIS also has an elevation adjustment and you use that instead of the front.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one of each. I prefer the HK style.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The problem with the HK type protective ears is the same thing that makes it great for some ... with the semi-circle protective ear, your eye will natuarally align the rear apperture (circle) with the semi-circle protective ear of the front sight. It makes for a very fast sight aquisition ... when you engage targets at the correct distance for that setting.

You will start to have problems when you zero your rifle using the elevation adjustment of the front sight. When this happens, you will now find that your eye still tend to align the front semi-circle protective ears with the rear apperture and not the front sight post. It can be a PITA and confusing. This will however not be a problem if your rear BUIS also has an elevation adjustment and you use that instead of the front.

True enough, and I considered that when I got my first HK style sight, which was a PRI flip up gas block.  I've owned and built quite a few ARs, and never really had one that required a gross adjustment to the front post up or down.  The only one I did was my M16A1 in the Army, and someone probably used it as a pry bar at some point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top