Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/8/2005 9:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 7:20:10 AM EDT by Viper318]
So here's the story, I have a M4gery consisting of a Model 1 Sales kit on a Rock River Arms lower.  When I first put the rifle together, I had some trouble with extraction.  I have since installed a Wolff XP extractor spring, and that fixed the problem for ~ 700 rnds.

So yesterday, I was at the range and I had three FTE's.  However, these all occurred with one magazine, a black steel mag stamped as English military, and one type of ammo, green tipped "mil-surp" ammo.  I am not sure of the origin of the ammo, as my friend brought it, and they were loaded on stripper clips in unmarked brown boxes, three clips per box.  I have no idea if this was really M855.

Anyway, there were only 60 rnds of the green tipped ammo, 50 of which were fired with the black steel mag, 10 through aluminum USGI.  The rest of the 200+ rnds fired were a combination of Hornrady, WWB, and Wolf, all with USGI mags.  The green tipped ammo did not malfunction with the USGI mags, but only 10 rnds were fired with them.

Since it looks as though I have botched an objective test by trying different combinations of ammo and mags, I'm hoping y'alls experience will help out.   Is this an ammo problem, a mag problem or a combination of both?  Oh, or is my rifle screwed up again, and what would you suggest?

Changsta
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:19:29 AM EDT
Ok, since no one has replied, I'm going to try this idea on for size.  

I've discredited the mag theory since the problem was with extraction and not with feeding.  My idea is that it is a combination of the ammunition and my carbine.

Like I said, when I first built my M4gery I had extraction issues, which, by utilizing this forum, I discovered was a result of the shortened gas system delivering a much stronger impluse on the bolt carrier and causing it to recoil too violently preventing effective extraction.  It doesn't help that M1S bolt carriers are supposedly a bit lighter.  I had since installed a Wolff XP extractor spring, which resolved the issue for commercial ammo.

However, I have read that military ammo is loaded a bit hotter than commercial ammo, which could be causing the weapon to cycle too quickly again resulting in the FTEs.  If this is the case, what would y'all recommend I do to remedy this?  Would a heavier buffer or an XP buffer spring sufficiently slow down the cycling?

Changsta
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:25:20 AM EDT
The first thing I would do is replace the buffer with an H buffer.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:20:03 PM EDT
If you find one, a 9mm buffer will do a better job.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:37:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Viper318:
I had some trouble with extraction.  I have since installed a Wolff XP extractor spring, and that fixed the problem for ~ 700 rnds.

I had three FTE's.  However, these all occurred with one magazine,
a black steel mag stamped as English military,
one type of ammo, green tipped "mil-surp" ammo.  

Since you already stated what the problems are, and how to correct them, what's your question?

P.S. My rifles ruin like crap when they are feed trash Oly ammo too (you really need to spend some time in the ammo forum to see what surplus/foreign ammo to buy, and what to not). As the saying goes, if you won’t drink their water, then why would you use their ammo?

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:18:10 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies guys.

To clarify, I rectified the extraction problem with commercial ammo by installing an XP extractor spring.  However, the problems resurfaced when using this ammo of questionable origin.  But I will definitely spend some time in the ammo forum, Dano.

Changsta
Top Top