Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2009 6:02:35 PM EDT
Just installed an AAC Blackout FS.  It makes a really loud "tuning fork" sound any time I release the charge handle.  Actually, it makes that annoying sound nearly every time I pick the damn gun up.  Anybody have any success resolving the issue?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
get used to it
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My Vortex does that too. It doesn't hurt anything, so I don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Blackout on my M1A - the tuning fork effect is about ten times as bad on it as on the AR....

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats what open prong flash hiders do.  The reason they suppress flash so well and can take so much abuse is also because they are open prong.  The solution to your problem is to find a less effective, weaker flash hider so you dont hear the noise.  I suggest purchasing a Phantom.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Not all open prong flash suppressors do that (most of them do), and I've seen a closed flash suppressor make slight tuning fork sound too.

It's something you'll get used to soon enough.  Just don't let anyone tell you it's the sound it makes that dissipates flash signature, or the vibration of the prongs
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Le tme guess . . . . without reading the thread . . . . you can't stand the ping because it gets your mangina sandy?

Seriously, I run these with their cans and you either get used to the ping or you buy another suppressoir, or you put a muzzle brake on the gun.

The only solution is to use another flash hider that will not be as effective!

I have sold a few of AAC's finest to folks and they love the supression, but then they can hear the ping and it drives them nuts!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Less erosion on the open ended Blackouts as well.  But, I do wish AAC would make the 18 tooth A1 birdcage again, just looks cool.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to notice the tuning fork ring when I got my first Blackout, but with a half dozen so-equipped systems now, I just don't notice it any more.....kinda like the spoing of the buffer spring.

One thing that I do definitely notice is the lack of muzzle flash when shooting in reduced light, even with NOD's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get a fatter Wolff spring like mine and get rid of the sproing though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not all open prong flash suppressors do that (most of them do), and I've seen a closed flash suppressor make slight tuning fork sound too.

It's something you'll get used to soon enough.  Just don't let anyone tell you it's the sound it makes that dissipates flash signature, or the vibration of the prongs

Which open prongs dont?  It would have to be short enough to not suppress flash as well to not ring. BE Meyers, Vortex, Blackout all ring.  Which closed flash suppressor rings?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can get a fatter Wolff spring like mine and get rid of the sproing though.

But that is a very useful means of knowing when to make a mag change, if one is not counting shots.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Put a hose clamp on the prongs to dampen the vibrations!

This pinging varies from gun to gun.  My mount doesn't ping at all. (11.5" Colt Commando w/ pencil barrel profile)

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which open prongs dont?  It would have to be short enough to not suppress flash as well to not ring. BE Meyers, Vortex, Blackout all ring.  Which closed flash suppressor rings?

Both uncommon.  My AR180's 3 prong does not ring, and a custom made HK bird cage type suppressor rings.  The AR180 3 prong is indeed short, A1 length.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine does it to.  At this point I don't even care anymore. If I don't think about it, I don't hear it. The flash suppression it gives is better then anything I seen. I shot with it last week late on a Friday night at my local private range. On my 10.5" SBR there is little to no flash.  I moved it over to a M4 and there was none at all.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the ping.  I'm tempted to move my blackout to another gun so I can get a better ping from it.  It's music.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Less erosion on the open ended Blackouts as well.  But, I do wish AAC would make the 18 tooth A1 birdcage again, just looks cool.

Get the one that sig makes for their 556 swat rifle, it's almost indentical. I have one of these I'm putting on my upper.

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Put your can on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Put your can on it.

+1

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the one that sig makes for their 556 swat rifle, it's almost indentical. I have one of these I'm putting on my upper.

Hmmmm.  Is that compatible with my AAC silencer?  It's an older M4-2000 and uses the same 18 tooth mount as the current M4-1000s.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#21]
FYI, I don't think the "pinging" has to do anything with the open ended design. I have several AAC CLOSED ended flash suppressors and they also "ting". I have tried other open end flash suppressors that aren't hardened (even a knock off "Vortex") and they don't make that noise so I'm pretty sure it's more a function of the HARDNESS of the steel that AAC/SEI/etc. uses.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FYI, I don't think the "pinging" has to do anything with the open ended design. I have several AAC CLOSED ended flash suppressors and they also "ting". I have tried other open end flash suppressors that aren't hardened (even a knock off "Vortex") and they don't make that noise so I'm pretty sure it's more a function of the HARDNESS of the steel that AAC/SEI/etc. uses.

WRONG.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG.

Then explain to me why my AAC CLOSED end flash suppressor also pings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I can only try to explain why my custom made HK flash suppressor and AAC Phantom (made for them by YHM) ping.  The walls on these flash suppressors are pretty thin, I believe if the material was thicker, these close ended flash suppressors would not ping as much.  I'm guessing due to the thinness of the prongs, they vibrate more than the thicker walled counterparts.

AAC doesn't sell these Phantom flash suppressor mounts anymore, because they are not as durable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Then explain to me why my AAC CLOSED end flash suppressor also pings.

I've got phantom mounts that produce a slight ping.  But it's nothing compared to the tuning fork effect of a blackout or vortex.  The pinging is just that... at tuning fork effect.

A regular phantom produces noise because it's a relatively thin walled piece of metal hung on the end of a more densely materialed barrel.  Barrel harmonics and barrel whip can make it ring.  If I flick an unmounted flash hider with my finger, it'll ping.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I strongly recommend ordering a M4-2000 silencer from AAC......that should eliminate that pinging sound!

I have the same flashider/mount on my 16" and their blackout muzzle brake on my 24"......just awaiting my M4-2000 to ship to my dealer this next week and send money off to the ATF for them to play with for several months before I can use my silencer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm.  Is that compatible with my AAC silencer?  It's an older M4-2000 and uses the same 18 tooth mount as the current M4-1000s.

That I don't know but I'm sure someone or even AAC or Sig can answer your question.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That I don't know but I'm sure someone or even AAC or Sig can answer your question.

Actually, after reading the info on the 556 SWAT on SIG's website, it says it is.  Just SIG doesn't sell them separate.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, after reading the info on the 556 SWAT on SIG's website, it says it is.  Just SIG doesn't sell them separate.  

Yes they do

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=11&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=135&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6&vmcchk=1&Itemid=6

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Never heard of that place.  Any idea what they're like?

ETA:  Out of stock.  Dangit.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never heard of that place.  Any idea what they're like?

ETA:  Out of stock.  Dangit.  

Me either, I googled it and that's what came up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:=
I've got phantom mounts that produce a slight ping.  But it's nothing compared to the tuning fork effect of a blackout or vortex.  The pinging is just that... at tuning fork effect=
I think it's a combination of both then because a non-hardened Vortex (like the fake ones) shape does not ping. If it was only the shape, then these should ping too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:18:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I strongly recommend ordering a M4-2000 silencer from AAC......that should eliminate that pinging sound!

Actually that only makes the pinging seem worse because the muzzle report is quiet, but the ping is pretty much the same.  There have been several posts of this on the silencer website.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:=
I've got phantom mounts that produce a slight ping.  But it's nothing compared to the tuning fork effect of a blackout or vortex.  The pinging is just that... at tuning fork effect=
I think it's a combination of both then because a non-hardened Vortex (like the fake ones) shape does not ping. If it was only the shape, then these should ping too.

The same mount/flash hider will ping differently on a different barrel. (assuming that all the blackouts are made the same)  I got to hear another sample of the blackout last night at at shoot.  It was mounted on a Noveske 16" SS barrel and it had a mild ping... barely noticeable, but it was there.  Mine doesn't ping at all, and others have quite pronounced pinging.  My guess is that it's more a function of individual barrel harmonics.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#37]
The two vortex fh's I fired were just as loud as any I've heard.  They weren't obnoxiously loud, but they were noticeable.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Come to think of it, a flashhider is to hide your position ... but if ya got a tuning fork going off the like a symphony ...

... that leads one to ask -  "How's that concealment workin' for ya ??".  

If you're down range of a centerfire rifle in low light, you can see some muzzle flash no matter what kind of gadget you hang on the end of a barrel.  It might be a little less obvious, but if you're looking, you can find it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Come to think of it, a flashhider is to hide your position ... but if ya got a tuning fork going off the like a symphony ...

... that leads one to ask -  "How's that concealment workin' for ya ??".  

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/LaRueTactical/Pingggg.jpg

Let's not lose our sense of humor.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAC has stated that the Sig flash hider is not approved or warranteed for use with AAC silencers.  Use at your own risk.
They have stated that they had nothing to do with the design or manufacture of the Sig flash hider.
Sig reverse engineered (that is to say, used the same pitch acme thread and put 18 teeth on the back) the mount.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

AAC has stated that the Sig flash hider is not approved or warranteed for use with AAC silencers.  Use at your own risk.
They have stated that they had nothing to do with the design or manufacture of the Sig flash hider.
Sig reverse engineered (that is to say, used the same pitch acme thread and put 18 teeth on the back) the mount.

Interesting.  Especially since SIG specifically states on their website it's compatible, which it obviously is, but...  

Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Interesting.  Especially since SIG specifically states on their website it's compatible, which it obviously is, but...  

Well, it is the correct pitch and the teeth are there, so it is "compatible" but AAC will not warrantee it at all.  I'm not going to risk blowing up a $600 can (M4-1000) + $200 stamp for a sub $100 part.
I will use the blackout and at least have some redress with AAC if something happens.  Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it is the correct pitch and the teeth are there, so it is "compatible" but AAC will not warrantee it at all.  I'm not going to risk blowing up a $600 can (M4-1000) + $200 stamp for a sub $100 part.
I will use the blackout and at least have some redress with AAC if something happens.  Cheap insurance.

Yep, that's what I meant.  I appreciate you posting this info, and agree with you.  I just find it strange SIG would do that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's what I meant.  I appreciate you posting this info, and agree with you.  I just find it strange SIG would do that.

Some of what SIG is pulling lately smells of "bottom feeder" status, example: their re-branding of CHEAP CHINESE scopes with the "SIG" name.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:42:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:27:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would think sig would do a good job of that.  It's interesting the mounts are supposedly defficient.  If it has the 1" 6 acme thread and 18 teeth and doesn't work, that's poor form for Sig.

Shoot!  There were some of us who got bad mounts from AAC!  They were eating up the detent spring thing on the M4-1000 silencers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would think sig would do a good job of that.  It's interesting the mounts are supposedly defficient.  If it has the 1" 6 acme thread and 18 teeth and doesn't work, that's poor form for Sig.

Shoot!  There were some of us who got bad mounts from AAC!  They were eating up the detent spring thing on the M4-1000 silencers.

After a little thought, I'm kinda guessing it's marketing on each side.  The M4-1000 is a very popular silencer so SIG put a compatible mount on their SWAT version 556 to appeal to agencies and individuals who use own the M4-1000.  Maybe they tried to work something out with AAC, maybe not.  AAC in turn says they won't warranty a can damaged while being used on one of the SIG mounts b/c they of course would like to sell you their mount.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
AAC in turn says they won't warranty a can damaged while being used on one of the SIG mounts b/c they of course would like to sell you their mount.

AAC had that policy before they stopped including the mounts with their silencers.  If I were an manufacturer and some goofball gun like the Sig came out with a mount for my cans that I didn't make, I wouldn't warrantee the use if it either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top