Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2004 7:06:41 AM EDT
I’m having trouble grasping the charging handle because the eyepiece of my scope is so close to it. Are there alternatives to the configuration of this piece, perhaps one with a larger handle to grab?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
you can get oversized handles like PRIs or there are so called tac-latches.

www.adcofirearms.com/acc/pri.cfm?page=

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Dang.  I shoot with my nose touching the CH.  I can't imagine having the eyepiece so far back that it's near the CH latch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
ar's are a little trickey to scope properly, good eye relief, and acess to the ch handle....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah.  Armalite makes a decent looking mount.  It puts the scope a bit further out front.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah.  Armalite makes a decent looking mount.  It puts the scope a bit further out front.

the larue mount moves the scope foreward too, pricey....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Larue sounds FRENCH, so Forget it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If the scope is an 'economy' model they sometimes have very short eye relief.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a picture to clarify the problem.
http://www.gaugerfamily.com/temp/ar1_sm.jpg
Also scope is a Nikon 6.5-20x44 AO fine crosshair with matte finish.
I don’t recall the model number off the top of my head.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
listen to bookhound
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
GOOD GOD!  How can you get a cheekweld and still shoulder the rifle?  Man oh Man that scope is far back, Mama!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Several of the dealers here sell Tactical Latches here that would help with that problem. I use one I got from AMEETEC Arms and like it, but I'm sure that most of them are very similar and work just as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sent an e-mail off to AMEETEC Arms per the suggestion in the previous post.

I also saw these Badger Ordnance tactical latches:
www.bravocompanyusa.com/TacticalLatches.html

Any thoughts or expierences with them or similar products.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
AGauger,

Your current setup doesn't allow the scope to go far enough forward. The Armalite mount would be your cheapest solution. Occular lens of the scope should be just in front of the charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]
BookHound,

Do you think that by moving the rings to the front edge of the upper receiver rail and pushing the scope as far forward as the rings will allow will suffice?
I figure that I can get the eyepiece just above or slightly in front of the charging handle.

I’m not trying to shortcut things but I really don’t have the budget to add too much more to this gun. I pieced it together with the best parts I could afford based largely on the suggestions of many people far more educated in the subject of AR-15s than I. Opinions will differ but I’m ALWAYS open to ideas or suggestions on how I could improve my setup. And yes, I’m trying to do it the right way, the best way I know how. The purpose of this gun’s purchase was to get into long range target shooting.

Thanks for your thought thus far.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Having some southern Louisiana roots, I resent that!  Anyways, LaRue Tactical proudly makes everything they offer in Leander, TEXAS, U.S.A.!  I'm not sure how close that is to Paris, TEXAS... but they are both far from FRANCE!

-Randy
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]
IMO.  Charge the weapon from the left side only.  Grip the left side of the CH with the index finger of your left hand and pull.  This does tear up the CH after a few K pulls.  This is how I do it any way.

IO1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your a F*$%ing dumb ass! The name is actually Scott/Irish! Even if his name did come from French heritage, he is 100% Texan and 100% American....

C4

Well twiddle my thumbs and Spin my Spurs!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top