Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:29:31 PM EDT
In building my next AR, I REALLY want to go with something without a Front Sight Base, but a couple of friends have had bad luck with "gas blocks" giving trouble.

What is the local consensus on this?

Since I want a flat top SBR, the 2.5 inch FSB will be in the way and look funny, in my humble opinion.  SURELY I can get a gun to run 100% without the FSB (?) judging by all the SPR and other custom guns I see.

Is there any advise or pointers in this area I need?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
the only problem i could see using the low profile gasblock is

user error
if you dont line up the gas holes then you cut of the gas that cycles the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I installed an adjustable low pro. gas block from jp myself. i've never really worked on guns before but I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I even screwed up the roll pin and still managed to get it to work properly. It's not terribly easy but it is also not too difficult.

It performs flawlessly, plus I can adjust the speed at which the bolt actions after firing to reduce wear and a little recoil. All this and it looks better, IMO, than a FSB.

eklikwhoa, I agree 100%. make sure you line up the holes on the gas tube, and you also need to space the gas block on the barrell properly. what i did was move it all the way back, then moved it foward about 1/16 of an inch or so and tightened the set screws, added locktite.

after 500+ rounds through it with the new setup, i'm extremely happy with the results. my cheapo rifle is capable of 3 holes in 1 at 100 yrds, and is fairly consistent with cheapo ammo (olympic too, haha).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top