Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:29:31 PM EDT
In building my next AR, I REALLY want to go with something without a Front Sight Base, but a couple of friends have had bad luck with "gas blocks" giving trouble.

What is the local consensus on this?

Since I want a flat top SBR, the 2.5 inch FSB will be in the way and look funny, in my humble opinion. SURELY I can get a gun to run 100% without the FSB (?) judging by all the SPR and other custom guns I see.

Is there any advise or pointers in this area I need?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:56:13 AM EDT
the only problem i could see using the low profile gasblock is

user error

if you dont line up the gas holes then you cut of the gas that cycles the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 9:09:57 AM EDT by TheStig]
I installed an adjustable low pro. gas block from jp myself. i've never really worked on guns before but I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I even screwed up the roll pin and still managed to get it to work properly. It's not terribly easy but it is also not too difficult.

It performs flawlessly, plus I can adjust the speed at which the bolt actions after firing to reduce wear and a little recoil. All this and it looks better, IMO, than a FSB.

eklikwhoa, I agree 100%. make sure you line up the holes on the gas tube, and you also need to space the gas block on the barrell properly. what i did was move it all the way back, then moved it foward about 1/16 of an inch or so and tightened the set screws, added locktite.

after 500+ rounds through it with the new setup, i'm extremely happy with the results. my cheapo rifle is capable of 3 holes in 1 at 100 yrds, and is fairly consistent with cheapo ammo (olympic too, haha).

Top Top