Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:10:20 PM EDT
Anyone have any suggestions for installing the trigger hammer?  With the amount of force put on the hammer by the spring, I am having a hard time keeping it lined up to inset the hammer pin.  Can't keep it lined up with the receiver.  I put a punch through the receiver and hammer to try and hold it in place, and then tried backing out the punch while inserting the pin, but this didn't work either.  Anyone else run into this problem and have a easy way to insert the pin?  I tried doing a search and didn't find much on this.  Am I the only one that faces this difficulty?  Thanks for any ideas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Try pivoting the hammer to the cocked position, that helps keep it in position.  I have to admit I've never had a problem installing the hammer pin, and that might be why.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Try pivoting the hammer to the cocked position, that helps keep it in position.  I have to admit I've never had a problem installing the hammer pin, and that might be why.

This is how I was able to get the hammer in.  If you have somebody else that can help you hold the hammer down or the receiver it may help you put the pin through.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Prepositioning the pin in the lower helps immensely too.  You get the hammer pretty close, press the pin against it, and sort of tilt the hammer around until the pin catches it.  Once you have that aligned, the pin will hold the hammer pretty securely while you slide it in.  It sometimes takes more fiddling to get the pin through the other side of the lower, but the hard part really is the start.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a punch to lever it down as I flex my mighty thumb of steel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a punch from the right side to hold the hammer in place.  Push the hammer to the left and slightly forward so that the hammer pin has a straight shot through the receiver into the hammer hole.  Taking the pin with the  non-centered groove to the left insert into hole from the left side, might have to wiggle the hammer alittle.  When the pin stops about half way, tap it past the "J" spring.  From there just push until the punch comes out and make sure the hammer pin lines up with the receiver hole and push home.  The reason for putting the outboard groove on the pin to the left side is so that you don't have to fight the "J" spring twice, unless you're installing the pin from the right side.  Anyway, that's the way I do it.  Oh, don't forget to hold your tongue just right.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top