Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2018 6:24:21 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Pretty noob to this as I've never mounted a scope before.  I may just be overlooking something dumb and I accept that.  I've watched about 5 different YT videos on how to properly mount and align your rifle scope but I can't seem to be able to find a way to do it in a way I feel confident about it.  It's an AR15 pattern rifle but this quick detach mount literally takes up the entire rail leaving no real estate to lay down a bubble level.  (Wheeler leveling tool)  The only space under the scope I can get any purchase on is the top of the charging handle.  I understand that the hand guard rail is not necessarily 100% inline with the rail on the upper receiver so I can't trust that, right?  If I try to put the bubble level between the scope and the mount itself it won't fit.

So I tried using the Arisaka Optic Leveler kit to help me but I'm still not 100% trusting of it because the section of the mount that the bottom piece of the Arisaka kit rests on is beveled like a ditch and I can't determine clearly if the tool is sitting flush across the entire mount or if an edge is slightly down down into the beveled indent.  This mount base is wide as hell.

To the best of my determination I threw my trust behind the Arisaka tool and tightened the rings down. (Boy that was a bitch getting the Arisaka tool out.  Had to untighten the screws a little to get it to even budge back out.) I also kept the bubble level on top of the turret while tightening to make sure the scope wasn't being torqued to one side while tightening the screws. But the scope feels off when I look through it or just eye balling it while holding the rifle in front of me.

Is the mount with the auto adjusting levers just attaching to the top rail crooked?  Or is it just my eyes? (I realize you can't answer this)  I suppose the next thing to try is again using a bubble level on top of the turret again and then using a plumb line to see if the reticle lines up on the vertical.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Would just use the level on the upper rail and secure the rifle (level), then attach the mount.  Mount the scope, adjust position for eyebox, then look through it at a plumb line to set the reticle.  Tighten the screws slowly, periodically checking for plumb, then torque to however many inch-lbs are specified (if that much).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top