Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2003 4:55:17 AM EDT
I have the barrel blank, chamber reamer and headspace gauges inbound to do an upper in 30 Carbine.  With a 50AE style magazine in place it should run the factory 30 Carbine ammo just fine, or you could load it with a 200gr bullet to duplicate the 300/221 for subsonic use.  I guess you could call it a 30 Whisker.  With the long bullet, it should run from an unmodified magazine.

The case head on the 30 Carbine is a bit smaller than the .223, but I am pretty confident that I can get it to work anyway.

I'll post up some pics when I get it finished.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
www.tromix.com

Link Posted: 2/14/2003 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking that a .30 Carbine upper would be great.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/14/2003 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Tony were are you going to tap for gas close to the chamber with a pistol length tube? Will the bolt head have to be welded up and recut for the smaller case head. thanks pappyo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2003 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Sir,

So are you still in business or not? I'm confused because som time ago you had stated that you had stopped doing the gun business. None the less, I AM quite interested in this and would like more information. It is my opinion that this would make an interesting short barelled upper or a pistol.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/15/2003 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Tromix was never out of business.  I simply took a break...like temporary retirement.  There is a good chance I might do it again.

Link Posted: 2/18/2003 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tromix was never out of business.  I simply took a break...like temporary retirement.  There is a good chance I might do it again.

View Quote

Uh-oh..... don't get over worked again.

30 Carbine= .360"
223 Reming= .378"
Diff      = .018"

It should work....that's not much.

Link Posted: 2/18/2003 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
MartyW said Olympic showed a 30 carbine AR at the shot show. He said it took carbine mags.
Link Posted: 2/19/2003 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I heard about that.  If I had known that Oly was going to do it, I never would have started the project.  Too late now.  Probably just end up as another Tromix loser like the other mountain of prototype wastes in my past.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
Link Posted: 2/19/2003 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, I heard about that.  If I had known that Oly was going to do it, I never would have started the project.  Too late now.  Probably just end up as another Tromix loser like the other mountain of prototype wastes in my past.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
View Quote

[>:/] [:O]
Link Posted: 2/23/2003 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My question on the .30 Carbine is why?  Not to sound critical--I am actually curious.  I recall that the Israelis did the same thing in recent years with the Galil.  Made for an interesting looking and handy little weapon.  What are the advantages to using that round?

GR
Link Posted: 2/23/2003 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2003 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love a .30 carbine upper!  Especially if it takes M1 carbine mags.  I brought this idea up over a year ago and got flamed for it.  I guess I should've made it myself which I still might!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You know, I was looking at all the 30 carbine ammo piled up around the shop.  All those pre-ban mags.  You know Tony, I would be interested just to have one to shoot up all that ammo I cannot sell.

I don't think it will wind up in the scrap heap.  Your stuff is just plain better than olyarms.

Drop me a line when its done!
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know, I was looking at all the 30 carbine ammo piled up around the shop.  All those pre-ban mags.  You know Tony, I would be interested just to have one to shoot up all that ammo I cannot sell.
View Quote

Give it to me!  I've got 2 M-1 Carbines and an AMT Automag III that would love to eat up all that ammo!

Link Posted: 3/9/2003 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
(SNIP, SNIP)

With a 50AE style magazine in place it should run the factory 30 Carbine ammo just fine, or you could load it with a 200gr bullet to duplicate the 300/221 for subsonic use.  I guess you could call it a 30 Whisker.  With the long bullet, it should run from an unmodified magazine.

(SNIP, SNIP)
View Quote

Well, for us that have a 50AE/440Corbon mag, it's no problem.  But the option of running longer bullets seems interesting.  One can have "similar" ballistics to the Whisper w/out getting new brass (and related reloading stuff).  Granted, one would have to get 30 Carbine loading stuff, but the brass is available more then the Whisper.

Link Posted: 3/12/2003 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#15]
What are the specs as far as lengths and widths compared of a standard AR mag compared to a carbine mag.  How does the carbine mag latch in?
Could a lower be modified to take carbine mags and then AR mags with no special block?  That would be awesome!  150 grain mil-surp bullet loaded backwards should feed from a standard carbine mag, and be cheap to boot!

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Well Tony?  Any update on the 30 Carbine upper?  I saw 30 Carbine listed on your site, so I'm wondering.... What's the mag situation (ie blocking off the mag like w/ the 50 AE rounds?)  Just wondering....

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Last time I spoke to Tony he said he had shelved the idea since Oly was doing it. Shame.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Last time I spoke to Tony he said he had shelved the idea since Oly was doing it. Shame.
View Quote

Ah, I see....
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I took the blank that was slated for the 30 carbine and made it into a 30/221 and sold it.

The 30 carbine project is dead.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top