Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2003 6:24:07 PM EDT
Why are all the stickys on this board nothing but a Trijicon infomercial? Can we maybe try to be a little less bias and give Aimpoint, Eotech, Leupold, ETC. equal billing. Is Trijicon a paying advertiser? To the best of my knowledge they are not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Because they're THAT good!  

Seriously, because they're top of the line scopes, many people have "pre-purchase" questions, concerns, pic requests, etc. to help them justify the expense.  Not to mention that a lot of local dealers don't have them in-stock to look at, like mine!  And then there's the endless model #'s, etc.

The list goes on...
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't it be funny if new arguy tacks this thread to0? [:d]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
There was just a thread about this last week...

Look, Im as guilty as contributing to Trijicon threads as much or more than anyone. Probably more. But it wasnt all that long ago where the only things people would talk about were Aimpoints, Reflexs and to a lesser degree, EoTechs. It was because of this that I didnt know squat about ACOGs. I read some Trijicon info and when I read what the BAC was, I had to read it twice. Then I gave it to a friend and asked them to tell me if they didnt think it meant the same thing I did. When he thought so too I called Trijicon to make sure I was reading this right and if BAC actually did what it claimed to. When they said yeah... I sold my TAO1 and bought a TA31 within the week. The only reason I had a TAO1 is because thats the only ACOG anyone was talking about, that and the TAO1nsn.

And seriously, if you want an Aimpoint, take your pick, M2 or ML2. If you want an ACOG, you have to decide, between Compact or full size. If you go full size, 3.5x or 4x? Then when you decide which power, you have to decide which reticle. Then which mount? And if you want to go Comp ACOG... forget it. 1.5x, 2x or 3x? Then, which reticle, crosshair, dot or triangle. OK, now you know what power and which reticle, how about which color reticle. How about special ring mount or M16 base? See, there's a lot more you need to know about ACOGs and thats one of a few reasons you will see so many more questions.

And finally, not too long ago, I wanted to see more discussion about ACOGs. Like I said, all anyone would talk about like a year oge was Aimpoints Reflex's and EoTechs. So I didnt start a thread and start asking why Aimpoint is getting so much play, I just started asking questions, reporting observations, and sharing my opinions of ACOGs. It has taken a while, but they have finally caught on and I couldnt be happier. And not because I ave any stake in their company or product at all. I just think that they are that good.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Neil,
Don't let these guys pull your chain.
We/I all love and value your ACOG info.
I'm buying one, and I looked at all the different optics out there, that I could put my hands on.
So.........  keep them coming!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The 4xACOG has the National Stock Number (NSN), that makes it the "real deal" so its popularity and user reported satisfaction will be in that porportion.
The only other US scopes (that a civilian can reasonable obtain as so to be "correct")that I can think of right now, that also have NSN's, are Leupold 10x Mk4's w/M3 turrents as issued with the Army's M24 Sniper Weapon System (SWS), and Leupold's Long Range Tactical 3.5-10x Vari-X III/M3 turrent w/M118LR cam as issued with the Mk 11 Mod 0 system, and the Leuppold Illuminated reticle model Long Range Tactical on the SPR.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Tacking thes posts has somewhat reduced the number of "Which ACOG should I get" questions.

The "Best GP Scope" thread addresses Aimpoint, CQ/T and others as well. It does sort of evolve into an "Acog's Rule" thread, since, well, Acog's rule [8D].
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#9]
It's BECAUSE of all of the Trijicon threads that I was finally able to make an informed decision about optics that lead me put the TA31 on my new Armalite M15A4 SOF.  Keep the info coming!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]
[green][b][size=4]Could go back to the Aimpoint / Eotech thread from hell![/size=4][/b][/green]

Myself I like the ACOGs threads, as still shopping for a TA11 vs TA31 ... however, with the discussion on Magpull stocks looks like will have to pass on the Tittle II Uzi just to cover costs of accessories for the M16 [;)]

So for today's ACOG fix (it is raining out so we are not shooting ...) anyone have a side picture of the TA11 showing eye relief ....

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Why are all the stickys on this board nothing but a Trijicon infomercial?
View Quote

Because the people on this board who own Trijicon products really really like them?

Actually, I disagree with your perception of bias here. There are exactly three tacked threads in this forum. Only one deals exclusively with the ACOG (the BDC chart). The other two are a best general optic discussion and a thread that started out asking for ACOG reticle pictures; but now includes IOR Valdada, Springfield Armory, EOtech, Aimpoint, Leupold and more.

I also think if you looked you'll see that the ACOG-Reflex (a Trijicon product) is not all that popular while the ACOG scopes are very popular. The reason they get mentioned a lot is not because Trijicon pays to have it that way but because it is a solid product that almost everyone here likes a lot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There was just a thread about this last week...

Look, Im as guilty as contributing to Trijicon threads as much or more than anyone. Probably more. But it wasnt all that long ago where the only things people would talk about were Aimpoints, Reflexs and to a lesser degree, EoTechs. It was because of this that I didnt know squat about ACOGs. I read some Trijicon info and when I read what the BAC was, I had to read it twice. Then I gave it to a friend and asked them to tell me if they didnt think it meant the same thing I did. When he thought so too I called Trijicon to make sure I was reading this right and if BAC actually did what it claimed to. When they said yeah... I sold my TAO1 and bought a TA31 within the week. The only reason I had a TAO1 is because thats the only ACOG anyone was talking about, that and the TAO1nsn.

And seriously, if you want an Aimpoint, take your pick, M2 or ML2. If you want an ACOG, you have to decide, between Compact or full size. If you go full size, 3.5x or 4x? Then when you decide which power, you have to decide which reticle. Then which mount? And if you want to go Comp ACOG... forget it. 1.5x, 2x or 3x? Then, which reticle, crosshair, dot or triangle. OK, now you know what power and which reticle, how about which color reticle. How about special ring mount or M16 base? See, there's a lot more you need to know about ACOGs and thats one of a few reasons you will see so many more questions.

And finally, not too long ago, I wanted to see more discussion about ACOGs. Like I said, all anyone would talk about like a year oge was Aimpoints Reflex's and EoTechs. So I didnt start a thread and start asking why Aimpoint is getting so much play, I just started asking questions, reporting observations, and sharing my opinions of ACOGs. It has taken a while, but they have finally caught on and I couldnt be happier. And not because I ave any stake in their company or product at all. I just think that they are that good.
View Quote

As a relative newbie on this site, and having absolutely no experience with ACOG/EOTech sights, I would like to thank everybody who has posted regarding the various models of both sights. The discussion of the pros & cons of the different sights has saved me a lot of time, trouble & probably wasted money trying out things that are not what I need. There are no dealers anywhere in my area who stock this level of equipment, & I appreciate the chance to learn from the experience of members of this board. The discussions here were a major reason I just purchased a TA31 for my ArmaLite. Strong recommendations from new-arguy, Kevin B, Lumpy & Bartholomew Roberts were major factors in making the decision....

So Thanks A Lot, Guys!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#13]
So everybody who own 5-10 different Trijicon scopes payed full retail for everone of them?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So everybody who own 5-10 different Trijicon scopes payed full retail for everone of them?
View Quote

Why would you think that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I owned just one and I would NEVER pay full retail for one let alone 5-10.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
VA, it sounds like you are implying some of the Trijicon fans here are getting deals on optics for their reports here?

I have not paid full retail for any of my ACOGs, but I have never got any of them from Trijicon either.

My first ACOG, a Trijicon Reflex 2 I got brand new from SABLE Co. My second ACOG, a TAO1, I bought used from a board member here. The TAO1nsn, my third ACOG, I got used from SABLE Co. My fourth ACOG, a TA31, I got brand new from SABLE Co. My fifth ACOG a Compact, I got used from a board member here. I got most all of my ACOGs before the recent MAP pricing kicked in this year so I got the well below full retail (full retail of a TA31 is about $1200!!!). I no longer have the Reflex or TAO1.

My rifle apeared in the local newspaper in IL durring the first Black Rifle Convention in '01. The TA31 was clearly visible, I sent Trijicon a copy. They had no idea who I was. They sent me a free hat that I wear with pride at many FDCC shoots. At the BRC the Trijicon rep, who didnt even know who I was, gave me two Trijicon lapel pins. At this point in time I was not even a mod of the optics forum.

By the time of the shot show this year, I think I was a moderator. I went to their booth and started asking a lot of questions. One of the guys recognized some of the things I was talking about and he knew who I was. We spent the next hour or so talking about ACOGs and Surefires etc. He gave me a Trijicon T shirt that I actually wound up giving to the friend that came with me because he was sweating it so hard.

One hat, one t-shirt, and two pins. Full retail of these items is probably less than $30? This is what I have recieved from Trijicon, and none of them were even for my conributions to ACOG threads. Like I said, none of them were given to me as a contributor to threads (except maybe the t-shirt).

Now what I have recieved from use of their products is something else entirely. Something I could not gauge by material value. And it isnt just me. You can see it in almost every post from people talking about their ACOGs. They are amazing optics that do something no other optic does. People have never seen or used anything like BAC ACOGs, and this a large partof why they are so immensely popular.

Again, is there some info on another optic that you have not found with a search? If you'd like to see more discussion on other optics, please feel free to start discussions and relay your observations about them, ask questions, answer others etc. Otherwise, Im not sure what the problem is?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Gee, I wish someone had cut me a sweet deal on my TA31 ACOG...I have kids to feed.

Quit whining Dingus.

Some of the more experienced people here participated in the multipage Aimpoint V. Eotech thread, which btw, gets repeated almost weekly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to read the posts on almost all of the goodies. All of the items that I have purchased for my rifle I have done by going with the reccomedations from people on the boards. I have had nothing but great luck with the scopes, mags, ammo, ect. Also nothing but great service with the vendors reccomended on this site.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

What self-respecting gun nut pays full retail for ANYTHING? Unlike new_arguy I did get my Trijicon scope for free in a "special deal" for services rendered... I got it for Christmas from my fiance.

However, she doesn't work for Trijicon and paid $860 for the TA11. However, if anyone out there wants to send me free optics; I am here to say that I can be bought!
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I have no doubt that Trijicon makes an excellent product. I personally do not own one but, I have handled and shot several different models. Some how I missed new-arguy's "out of body experience" last time I shot one. Very nice optic, but I'll take a Aimpoint or Eotech any day. At least for what I need in a scope. I just believe they are PUSHED way to hard on this board.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Secondly, never think that expeiernce or knowledge comes with number of posts.
View Quote

I dont recall ever looking at or taking into account your post count.

In fact, see that gentleman named Coldblue up above?  He has FAR more practical knowledge and experience than you, me and everyone else in this thread combined....so numbers mean nothing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry Lumpy, I was already in the process of editing that statement out while you were replying. I reread your post and figured out what you were saying. The first time I read it, I took it the wrong way. My mistake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Thats cool Dinger.

Lets get this started off a new foot.

How about you just post that you tried an ACOG, and you didnt like it and you think Aimpoints/Eotechs et al are just as qualified for the purpose.

I can totally respect that kind of statement.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How about you just post that you tried an ACOG, and you didnt like it and you think Aimpoints/Eotechs et al are just as qualified for the purpose.
View Quote

With such an upbeat and cheery attitude, I'm sure you'll be able to convince everyone you're right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I sounded cheery and upbeat??

Euuuu
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, almost Mr.Rogers-ish. [0:)]

Sorry, no free prize Acog for you! [>(]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
DAMMIT, I missed the last free ACOGs!

That $900 bill for my TA31 and my ARMS mount could have fed my kids for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey VA_Dinger,

You are not kissing enough butt, so...
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p712a5557dfd49afb6aacfe588c63df0b/fb0f5c40.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey VA_Dinger,

You are not kissing enough butt, so...
[url]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p712a5557dfd49afb6aacfe588c63df0b/fb0f5c40.jpg[/url]
View Quote

LMFAO
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#30]
The ACOG Nazi!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Kisara, I read your signature.  If you change it to a free ACOG 31F for all who vote for you, you have my vote.

Because of the cost thats the only way I will get one.  ACOG`s to me sound like people bragging about owning a BMW.

At least most people can afford an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#32]
No that would be a Zeiss scope...

An ACOG is more like a Corvette except without the crappy ass build quality.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kisara, I read your signature.  If you change it to a free ACOG 31F for all who vote for you, you have my vote.

Because of the cost thats the only way I will get one.  ACOG`s to me sound like people bragging about owning a BMW.

At least most people can afford an Aimpoint.
View Quote

Dude, I sold a pre-ban Benelli to afford mine...
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Lumpy, Lumpy, Lumpy [nono]
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/Kisara49dollars.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll muddle along with my 870 [:P]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmph, my shotgun is a friggin Mossberg 500! Its tricked just like all my other guns, but heck, its still just a Mossberg.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top