Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2011 8:08:20 AM EDT
I have a set of Trijicons on my Colt 1911 and very pleased with the quality. However, seems all the reviews I read about Trijicon AR sights are about 50-50. Based on some of your experiences here, which do you feel is the better route? If there's a better night sight you recommend, by all means, put it up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Meprolight front sight on my duty AR.  I've used this set up during night shoots and it is by far superior to non illuminated sights.   I don't see any reason to purchase the rear aperture sight with tritium dots as the aperture focuses your eye on the front sight  and is accurately aimed.  The Meprolight front sight I purchased is more like an A-1 front post and uses an A-1 sight adjustment tool.  The Trijicon front sight is an A-2 design with more of a square post and uses an A-2 sight tool.  For the difference in price I am satisfied with the Meprolight.  I think the illuminated front sight is great on a rifle/carbine with fixed carry handle.  I prefer the E O Tech on a flat top carbine for low light but for people with the fixed carry handle I think this is a must for low light use and not very expensive.  I think a carry handle really compromises an E O Tech or other red dot  and I personally don't care for the over the handle mounts or the cantilever mounts which put the red dot in front of the carry handle.  If stuck with a carry handle a tritium front sight is worth the bucks IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had both on my Glock 19.

The Trijicon has a patented sapphire crystal lens to better focus the illumination.

The Meprolight doesn't have this.

The difference in my experience is the Meprolight is a tiny bit brighter and the Trijicon is a little bit sharper.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the Meprolites as my eyes pick up the front sight quicker.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a set of Trijicons on my Colt 1911 and very pleased with the quality. However, seems all the reviews I read about Trijicon AR sights are about 50-50. Based on some of your experiences here, which do you feel is the better route? If there's a better night sight you recommend, by all means, put it up. Thanks.

Relevant to my interests as well...

Anyone w experience with the AR sights?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
After working at a gun shop for several years i found the Trijicons to have 0 issues as far as reliability was concerned. We had to send a few of the Meprolights back. they would prematurely burn out. I  witnessed this on 4 occasions and this was from 1994 to 1998. I always chalked this up to a bad run on there end as we installed literally dozens of others that never came back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd bet that those 50/50 reviews aren't talking bad about the sight itself, but rather the idea of using night sights on an AR.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet that those 50/50 reviews aren't talking bad about the sight itself, but rather the idea of using night sights on an AR.

Plus 1 on that.  The sights are not the issue, it is just the whole need of having dots on a AR that is questioned.  A good flashlight would serve you better.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally use the truglo tritium/fiber optic front sight. The way it's designed allows maximum light absorption for a bright dot. Fiber optics (great for day/low light settings), Tritium glow for night. As for why? I see this front sight to be an alternate of using a red dot sight.

Here is a link Truglo Tritium/Fiber Optics
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I am planning on going with the Trijicon.  At night they would likely be close to a wash but the white outline around the Trijicon looks to be a big help in the day over the mep's.  That truglo looks interesting but the exposed tube looks prone to being broken if banged on something.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The optic is made of soft plastic (not hard) so it can flex but not break. The housing is made of metal and the way the optic sits, its protected by flanges on the post. Just my two cents
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The optic is made of soft plastic (not hard) so it can flex but not break. The housing is made of metal and the way the optic sits, its protected by flanges on the post. Just my two cents

Your making it sound awfully good. Have you ever tried it with a red dot? Curious how they would coexist as I do use one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Trijicon>Meprolight

Meprolight customer service is handled through Kimber, whose customer service blows goats. I won't spend another brown dime on Meprolight/Kimber products.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have an AR upper with Trijis.  It's a personal decision, really.  In very dark conditions, I find the rear dots were overpoweringly bright and would make it impossible to see what you were aiming at. Sure you could see the dots, but not much else.   In dusk, no issue, just the dark was impossible.

now that the AR has aged, and the trijis are 12 years old,  I find the rear perfect (halflife, so it is half as bright as new) but I plan on replacing the front sight with a new triji.  Also keep in mind that the front sight post is wider than stock.

And with the rear triji, the inserts are mounted only on one of the appertures, so you can always flick the apperture to the other one if you like.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, I havent used it with a red dot sight but I am guessing it would be abit busy, (especially during the day).  Just something to keep in mind, the sight isnt always going to stay bright like a red dot sight. Depending on the surrounding light condtions the brightness will very. Over all in MO, the sight provides a noticable contrast (tip of sight) in any light condtion. I have seen youtube videos of trijicon sights that super glow after a flash light is held to them, this sight will not glow that bright at night because the tritium is housed below the optic tube. LOL abit hard to explain. When it comes down to it, its the users preference.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry, I havent used it with a red dot sight but I am guessing it would be abit busy, (especially during the day).  Just something to keep in mind, the sight isnt always going to stay bright like a red dot sight. Depending on the surrounding light condtions the brightness will very. Over all in MO, the sight provides a noticable contrast (tip of sight) in any light condtion. I have seen youtube videos of trijicon sights that super glow after a flash light is held to them, this sight will not glow that bright at night because the tritium is housed below the optic tube. LOL abit hard to explain. When it comes down to it, its the users preference.

You sold me, I ordered one.  We'll see how it coexists in practice I suppose.  Amazon Prime costs me to much money impulse buying.  Good thing they don't have that many AR parts on there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus 1 on that.  The sights are not the issue, it is just the whole need of having dots on a AR that is questioned.  A good flashlight would serve you better.

Have both... You don't always want to use a flashlight.  There are times when you need to stay dark.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used both Trijicon and Meprolites on my AR's and I prefer the Meprolites.  It really boiled down to the Trijicon front sight was to wide for my taste.  The Meprolites were closer to the standard front post width.  The rear night sight I found was useless for me and was not clear once you have the front sight in focus. I've used both with Aimpoints and have no clutter issue either at night for cowitness.  The trijicon will give a round dot and night while the Meprolites give a small vertical oval. My trijicon is about 8 years old and still bright. Not as bright as the Meprolite, which is less than a year old.  

One draw back with the trijicon I had was it only allowed you to adjust the front sight for a 360 rotation.  Fine if you have A2 rear sight but, with an A1 folding rear I had to be happy with an inch off elevation for zero.  The Meprolite has a double adjustment that will let you turn the illuminated side towards you without changing your elevation.  This may have changed for the new trijicons but, that's how mine was.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#18]
+1

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have both... You don't always want to use a flashlight.  There are times when you need to stay dark.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top