Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:02:11 PM EDT
First off like to say that I'm new to ACOG scopes and new to optics in general so please excuse my ignorace.

I'm planning on betting a TA31RCO-A4 for my 20" barreled AR. I know this is calibrated for the 20" barrel and that is why I'm wanting it. What I'm wondering is can it be setup to work properly with the 16" barrel AR? Is there even enough different in velocity to worry about it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Carb850:
First off like to say that I'm new to ACOG scopes and new to optics in general so please excuse my ignorace.

I'm planning on betting a TA31RCO-A4 for my 20" barreled AR. I know this is calibrated for the 20" barrel and that is why I'm wanting it. What I'm wondering is can it be setup to work properly with the 16" barrel AR? Is there even enough different in velocity to worry about it?

Thanks

They make two RCOs one calibrated for a 20 inch barrel and one made for the 14.5inch barrel
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:24:55 PM EDT
But I'm getting this primarily for my 20" rifle. Just wondering about the potential of swapping it to my 16" rifle if I ever wanted to. Or if I should just get the TA31F model instead for possible use on both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:40:00 PM EDT
It's going to be good enough for Government work while shooting unknow distances. I sent several of my Marines to the ACOG-instructors course and they used the both the 31F and the 31FA4RCO when they shot both the M4 and the A4 because of those being the one that can be found in the system. They didn't seem having to have any problem hitting man sized silhouettes on the unknown distance part of the course.

You have to remember the BDC on each is based on the assumption that you that the projectile is moving at X velocity (never going to happen) and that you are range finding the average sized man, standing with no angle on you. This distance becomes allot less precise when you are not absolutely steady or the target is moving, is above or below the average, is angled on, moving, or even you or the target are under poor lighting conditions.

If you are however shooting at a KD, you may notice the BDC is high or low for that range.
Top Top