Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 8:32:54 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these?  If so how do you like it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The polarizing filter is some sort of obscene joke. The threading is amazingly fine, and easy to strip. With it on, it is to dark to see through in lower-light situations, and with it off, it is too easy to wash out the reticle.

For the money, get an Aimpoint.

ETA: I did own one, once upon a time. The first optic I bought, actually. I have learned since...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the previous poster. I've got  one and it's the optic I started out with but everything he said is accurate.

Mine now bounces between an old preban AK and a Ruger 10-22. It's still fun on those guns but in this day and age for what I consider serious work it's Aimpoints and Eotechs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The polarizing filter is no joke and is actually a very important addition to the reflex. When shooting with illumination in a CQB environment you turn it all the way to blackout so you can aquire the dot. Same with bright sunlight. You don't really need to be able to see through the sight at all, as your off (weak) eye sees the target and the (dominant) eye sees the dot. They merge together in the brain and you see a target with a superimposed dot on it. In fact I always use the sight in blackout mode, day, night, indoors, out. Overall it is an extremely useful sight that is strong, requires no batteries, and is simple to use. It gets a bad wrap from a lot of people because of dot washout. That is why the SOPMOD kit includes a polarizing filter on its reflex, to eliminate the washout problem. It seems that some people have used a reflex without the filter and concluded that it washes out, then they write this on the net and suddenly everyone thinks the reflex is crap. Not so. Sorry, I am just tired of seeing negetive things said about the reflex without a whole lot of reasoning behind it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I know that is supposed to work and it does to a point.  But all in all I prefer being able to see through the scope thankyou very much.  I had one too and got rid of it. It washes out too easily against certian backgrounds. The lens is tinted making it harder to see through as the sun goes down. I prefer my eotechs.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not so. Sorry, I am just tired of seeing negetive things said about the reflex without a whole lot of reasoning behind it.

It is a piss-poor design, plain and simple. To repeat for the reading comprehension impaired: The filter's threading is too fine. The simple act of putting on the filter can easily strip it of it's threads.
And even once it's on, it must be constantly adjusted, depening on light conditions and target background. And without the filter, the damned thing washes out too easily.

I don't understand why some make excuses for inferior optics. Sure, it doesn't need batteries. What is the battery life on Aimpoints these days? Aimpoint lists the M3 as being good for 50,000 hours at setting 7 (out of 10). Let's cut that in half, and say 25,000 hours. That reduced figure works out to over 2 and 1/2 years. And you don't need a POS filter for them to work.

They may be listed on some SOPMOD poster, but you don't see an awful lot of them in the pictures we get, do you?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one (the NSN) that I use on my AR6721 for duty use and I like it.  I have not had any problems with "wash" so to speak and as far as looking through it, I don't.  I use both eyes open so that I don't have to look through it.  To each his own I guess.  What suits others may not suit ones self.  Just because it doesn't, doesn't mean that it is an inferior design.  And for me, the no betteries is a definite plus.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The reflex is a good sight considering the many "plus" points that come with its design.  I too have an Aimpoint, having learned a lesson from a earlier reflex purchase, and I will admit that it is the superior sight as far as ease of use and function.  However, the reflex is built like a tank, doesn't need batteries, and is waterproof.  I would like to have another for the AK or on a Shotgun.  Now what I can't figure out is that if the general consensus is that the sight is crap, why does everyone still sell their used sights and the new ones for that matter so damn high.  I hardly ever see a totally abused reflex for under $300.00 dollars.  

I figured that someday, like the NSN Acog, when all the Spec. Ops., SOPMOD hype died down that the price would follow suit.  When the TA31 took off, you could actually get a deal on a NSN, but this has not been true for the Reflex.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I jumped on a NIB one that a friend bought and didn't like, I got the scout fixed handle rail, flat top rail mount, filter cleaning kit all for $230 like 2 years ago. I knew what it was and jumped on it.

My filter stays on all the time and it is adjustable. Without the filter, you do get some washout. Big deal. So, I keep the filter on. I personally don't like red dots myself. I guess that makes me a POS.

Just because something is so popular, don't always make it the best.

Remember that if you decide to bad mouth something, doesn't make it a bad product. It's your opinion only - and you don't speak for me.

I like mine. Centcom, when you solicit opinions on the internet, you will get just that. Personal opinion, bias, invective, bravado. None of it based on science. You'll get all the answers under the rainbow.

Make your own opinion and go try one out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#9]
i have 2 and they work great,plus anyone who is red green colorblind will appreciate this sight. it's amber dot is completly visable to colorblind individuals such as myself.on bright sunny days i cant see the dot at all on aimpoint, eotech is alittle better but with the reflex it glows like the sun.
anyway to each his own.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Tomislav,

No need to get testy. I was only trying to be informative. By the way regarding your SOPMOD comment, I don't need to look at the posters or pictures as I've seen and experienced it first hand. Thank you. I will admitt that the Reflex may have been eclipsed by other systems recently but it is still a good design. There are pros and cons to every sight that I can think of, but I don't think this one deserves quite the bashing it gets.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Glockfan,

I agree, if you do like to look through the sight it is a bit hazy and will wash out against some backdrops. If not, its not an issue. I also use a TR-21R, close the front lense cap and get the same "reflex" effect. For those interested in that technique, you can have a good medium range sight and a CQB sight in one. It may not be quite as cool but it works in real life. Not pictures or posters.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I have two, and they work well for me. I don't shoot at street lights, so washout is not an issue for me. Nor has the sight never been too difficult shooting that I couldn't pick up the reticle reasonably quickly. Is it a perfect design? No. Is it very good for what it was designed for? Hell Yes!

Every sight has issues, none are perfect.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I also have two of them.. I admit it took some getting used to .  It is realy totaly differnt from the Aimpoint and Eotech that I also have.

That being said, the reflex is what is on my current duty weapon. No batteries, no switches, no nonsense..It wasn't realy designed for precision work..If it washes out, you can still use just the ring as a reference..

My only complaint about them would be when the sun is behind you..I get an orange glow in the tube..depends on how bright it is.

I will have to agree with just about everyone here...no one sight will work perfectly in every condition for everybody...thats why there are more to choose from.

Just my .02 worth
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Its great if you like too look through optics that look like you are looking through the bluest, darkest, sunglasses ever!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
A Reflex II was the first optic I had on my first AR15, I then purchased an Eotech 552 for my 2nd AR, shortly after that the Reflex II was put on Ebay.
Don't waste your money, get an Eotech or Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#17]
   +1 LawDog205, just traded for one of his...I love aimpoints but in my past situations in Iraq, I think the reflex would have been better at times, due to how they self-adjust for the light enviroment. I was blown away when I stepped out in the sun! Didnt experience the wash factor until I was looking into a bright area from a darker one (out the window), still it wasnt very extensive. The tritium is also +1
     Not tryin to hijack but has anyone tried this optic with a PVS 14?? Just curious of the results.  hug.gif

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#18]
For the cost of a Reflex + mount you can get a EOTech 512, Pack of 4 NiMH battereies and a recharger and have a better setup.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#19]

You don't really need to be able to see through the sight at all, as your off (weak) eye sees the target and the (dominant) eye sees the dot. They merge together in the brain and you see a target with a superimposed dot on it. In fact I always use the sight in blackout mode, day, night, indoors, out.

If you just want to use the sight as an occluded eye gunsight all the time, you can buy an Armson OEG for a fraction of the price and it will do the same thing.

It will also have all the same problems that any OEG sight has including:
1) Different zero for different people
2) Zeroed only at one range - at all other ranges changes of both vertical and horizontal points of impact by as much as 8 MOA.
3) Shift in impact changes with position of your head

Of course if you sight it in with the polarizing filter turned where you can see through it, you will also see that POA does not equal POI when you turn the polarizing filter all the way up. However at close ranges, an OEG sight will work great because the shifts will be slight enough not to make a difference.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top