Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/21/2003 7:12:00 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience with these sights & are they worth the $170. Trying to find good reliable sight, but am on a low budget. THANKS
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:00:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By greenman: are they worth the $170.
View Quote
No, they're not. They were great back in the late 70s/early 80s when they first came on the market and it was that or irons, but just about anything out there is better. The OEG stands for Occluded Eye Gunsite. Occluded as in blocked. To understand the way it works, with both eyes open hold your thumb a few inches in front of your dominate eye. See how your thumb blocks the view from one eye but you can still see using the other? Now imagine there's a glowing dot on your thumbnail that you can use for aiming. It works, but there are far better options out there. As for the price, check around especially on places like the Equipment Exchange on this site and at on-line auction sites. There are some very good deals out there. Earlier generation Aimpoint CompMs and Tasco ProPoints can be found much cheaper than $170 and are far superior.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:16:56 AM EDT
I was going to ask the same basic question but it looks like greenman beat me to it. I like the 'no batteries' bit but the price is a bit hard to swallow for old tech. I still might try to find one used cheap to play with on my shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:24:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
Originally Posted By greenman: are they worth the $170.
View Quote
No, they're not. They were great back in the late 70s/early 80s when they first came on the market and it was that or irons, but just about anything out there is better. The OEG stands for Occluded Eye Gunsite. Occluded as in blocked. To understand the way it works, with both eyes open hold your thumb a few inches in front of your dominate eye. See how your thumb blocks the view from one eye but you can still see using the other? Now imagine there's a glowing dot on your thumbnail that you can use for aiming. It works, but there are far better options out there. As for the price, check around especially on places like the Equipment Exchange on this site and at on-line auction sites. There are some very good deals out there. Earlier generation Aimpoint CompMs and Tasco ProPoints can be found much cheaper than $170 and are far superior.
View Quote
I absolutely concur with Hop.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:33:21 PM EDT
I had one back then. They were an interesting concept, but time has certainly passed them by. They were also kind of hard to zero and the adjustment lock screws were easy to strip. Mine had to go back to the factory once for that. I wouldn't even consider spending that much money on one now. The above comments are right on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:51:15 AM EDT
I also concur with the above. I used OEG's back in the "good ole days". Its where this Quick shooter optics thing got started. With that said, If I were tryen to keep the cost thing down but still wanted a good sight, consider waiting ( I know you dont want to hear this ) saving up for an Aimpoint. You will be pleased in the long run. That $170. would be a real good start. Stay with iron untill then. Dont sink your cash in old stuf. I have also used Reflex II, Aimpoint, and ACOGs. I think Aimpoint would do you happy. Just one mans thoughts. Have fun
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:55:45 AM EDT
Top Top