Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/10/2003 3:35:15 PM EDT
Any opinion on these?

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:45:05 PM EDT
I use the front sight on all my ARs. It helps with front sight indexing in low light CQB situations, and to me is a good investment. I have not used the rear sight, so no opinion on them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:56:14 PM EDT
I have a set on one of my carbines. I like them. They are not on the same leval as an Aimpoint or an ACOG, but if money is low they will give you a rifle that you can accuratly aim in the dark. I like having the front and rear. One of my OLD uppers had just the front. It worked but I will always have a full set from now on if I am going to use them. My old upper had a Meprolight front. My current Carbine has the Trijicon front and rear. The Mepro is thiner and looks more like the older A1 round post. The Trijicon is wider. Just FYI.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:34:10 PM EDT
Some people dont like the bright green tritium in the rear. They make a dimmer yellow as an option for the rear.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:11:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2003 5:13:48 PM EDT by gregw45]
I was impressed with how visible they were at night. Never had a problem with dots on the rear aperature. They really give the user an amplified awareness of the rifle's orientation in the dark. Never actually shot at night since the ranges close before sundown. Problem was, I do most of my shooting during the day and the front post is wider than I cared. Not a total deal breaker, but... I had to concentrate on the front sight tip because my brain liked to focus on the front dot instead which raised bullet impact. Eventually sold them to a guy - he loves 'em. He rarely shoots at distances over 50yds. Haven't looked back since getting an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:47:20 PM EDT
I was given a set that a friend of mine had laying around in his parts box. I use the front, but sold the rear. I found that the glowing effect of the tritium in back was useless, given how small the vials are and how close they are to the eye when the rifle is mounted - the dots just "ghosted" out with the rest of the sight. And just FYI, the front night sights typically require a special sight tool to adjust, b/c the elongated head doesn't fit the standard tool. You can adjust it the "GI way" using the nose of a bullet, but that's tricky too b/c of the night sight's two-piece design.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:17:51 PM EDT
Point of impact using the top of the sight during day is different than using the tritium dot at night. NRC requires Tritium to be installed a minimum distance from the exterior surface. Well made, but skip them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:13:11 PM EDT
Execellent information! Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2003 10:27:46 PM EDT by AK_Mike]
I like them, got them on three different uppers, two of which the rear sits in BUIS. Admittedly, I am an accessory freak. Alaska experiences 24 hour darkness in the winter in trade for the 24 hour sunlight in the summer, so they can be handy on a rifle with no lights. Even if the front will be off, it's better than not seeing the front at all for me. I really like them on a pure basic upper I have that has no accessories. Just another option where I had none at all. The first two sets were used and I did not get the sight adjustment tool (and front site plunger) that comes with the sights NIB. The standard plunger is long enough, but not as solid as the extended plunger the NIB packs come with. I had my smith bore out two sight tools so I could adjust the front site, the bullet tip wasn't cutting it towards the end. The bored out sight tools made it so much easier we thought there may be a market for them. Then I got a third set NIB, and saw that they came with the damn adjustment tool to begin with. Allright, and aw crap. Oh, FYI if you get the bright green rear, wish you had the dimmer yellow rear, someone else posted that he simply went over the dots with a marker and that dimmed them nicely.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:48:37 PM EDT
They’re not a match site, but I love them on all my shorter rifles.
Originally Posted By Shooter521:I found that the glowing effect of the tritium in back was useless, given how small the vials are and how close they are to the eye when the rifle is mounted - the dots just "ghosted" out with the rest of the sight.
View Quote
I only get the front site. I find having the two vials in the rear site creates a pretty good green haze right in front of the ole eyeball. As far as accuracy goes, with those sites on a short 223 I can still break clay pigeons at 150 yards, just have to use the top of the site like normal. Best regards, J
Top Top