AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2004 7:38:31 PM EDT
Anyone ever seen one of these..?  

www.copsplus.com/prodnum2162.php
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]

I have one.

It never worked for me.

If you want to get an idea what it is like, close the front lens cap on your Aimpoint and shoot.

It works, kind of, but I was never comfortable with the idea of not being able to see through the sight.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
So you cant see thru it? So does it work better if looking into it with your week eye or the dominant eye?.. Reason I ask is I shoot righty but I am left eye dominat...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info troy...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't that be the case for the AGOG BAC as well?

Quoted:
From the OPTICS forum.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=196976

Very obsolete technology, and probably unusable with cross-eye dominance.

-Troy

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So you cant see thru it? So does it work better if looking into it with your week eye or the dominant eye?.. Reason I ask is I shoot righty but I am left eye dominat...

That's right, you can't see through it.

Here's the info that came with mine (Model #AR03):

O.E.G. (OCCLUDED EYE GUNSIGHT) USERS INSTRUCTIONS

The O.E.G. is a day/night combat gunsight for infantry use.  These instructions must be followed to acheive the maximum benefit from this equipment.

The gunsight is used with both eyes open at all times.  The user must concentrate on the target when aiming.

Before loading the weapon or zeroing the sight, the user must practice raising the weapon and placing the spot on the target until he can do it quickly every time.  This will save time and ammunition when zeroing

ZEROING PROCEDURE

The small screw in the center of each adjuster must be slackened slightly until the adjuster can be turned by hand.

Only the user must fire the weapon when zeroing.  The sight cannot be zeroed by one person for another to use.

Stage 1:  Rest the weapon and line up the iron sights with the target then without moving the weapon raise the head and observe the position of the spot in relation to the target.  Move the adjusters until the spot is also on the target.

Stage 2:  At a range of approximately 25 yards the user raises the weapon, places the spot on the target and fires immediately.  DO NOT HOLD ON AIM.  The sight is then adjusted up, down and left or right until the hits are in the centre of the target.  The user may then move back to 50 or 100 yards for final zeroing if required.  When zeroing is complete, retighten the locking screw in the centre of the adjusters.

NOTE

Dry practice without firing is very beneficial and improves the user's skill without using ammunition.

Remember you must fire immediately the spot is on the target.  The faster the user shoots, the better the results.

NIGHT USE A quick reference

The best way to test the night dot is to get up after you have been asleep for some time after dark.  Practise th quick aim and shoot technique with an unloaded weapon in your own home.  Please do not try to see the night dot by covering the daylight collector when you are in the daylight.  Your eyes get accustomed to the darkness as the sun goes down.  If you must try to see the night dot in the daytime, plan to spend at least 10 minutes in a completely dark closet.  The gunsight must be on a weapon so that it is properly positioned in front of your eye.  You must try to look into the distance which is hard to do since there is nothing to see in the distance in the dark closet.

The night dot is intentionally not a bright dot so that it will not interfere with your night vision when you can just distinguish a target in dim light.  Both of your eyes adjust together to the light that is brighter.  If the dot were to be made brighter like some other types of gunsights which use a battery illuminated dot, the dim target literally disappears before your eyes and you have to shoot at where you last saw the target before you brought the weapon up to aiming position.  A white bowling pin on green grass in moonlight is a good example of a dim target that begins to disappear even with the Armson dot.  Try it.

You should have read our brochure or been told before purchase that you must have binocular vision (two good eyes) in order to use this sight.

Hope you find it as interesting as I did.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
i tried one at the nra show last year.

i'm cross eye dominant.  i got nothing

my buddy (who's not) tried it and it worked.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top