Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2003 8:23:42 PM EDT
I have to get this off my chest, because I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

I just purchased a TA01 from the EE. Luckily I got a great deal on it.

The first thing I noticed is that the machining on the body is not the best (pits, gouges,and uneven finish).

Then I pulled off the adjustment caps and noticed the adjustment screws. NOT impressive at all for a high dollar optic. Theres more play in between clicks than my $60 Simmons.

The objective is nice and clear except the reticle is fuzzy on the right side. I've never experienced a problem like this on any of my low or mid priced optics.

I realize these are very popular, but I am rather disappointed. I feel a $600-$1000 scope should blow you away with it's quality,durability and craftmanship. I still trying to see how they justify the high cost. I guess the illumination is nice.

I bought this because I really wanted to build a M16A4 Squad designated marksman type rifle and thought I'd be thrilled to have something similar to what our solders have.

I'm beginning to regret selling my Leupold.
Please tell me I'm unlucky an I have the only sub par ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn sounds like you got a second.

My finish is fine, knobs work well (this is a combat sight not a target one), and the image is sharp (and was still when my eyes started going not sharp).

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The blurred side is from how the optics are able to have such a low paralax and its even in the FAQ on the Trijicon site.  Your adjustments should be precise and track correctly.  What exactly is your problem and how much is your scope off by?  I have never seen a poor finish on an ACOG.  Its made of the same material and is equal in quality to your reciever.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My NSN was really nice.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The welds on ACOGs are huge. Im not exactly sure thats what they are, but they are beefy and I think I know what you mean and depending on how you look at it, I can see how someone might say it is sloppy. I dont view it as sloppy, I view it is durable.

I dont know what problems you might be having with the adjustments. I have never had any. Nor have I ever seen any problems.

The fuzziness is, as Dev said, explained in the FAQ on their www site. It's also been discussed here with some regularity.

To me, it sounds a little like you wanted a sports car of a scope and was disapointed when you got a tank. Did you do detailed research on it before the purchase?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the welds are for step before TA31..

Trijicon probably used same metal for both
TA31 and TA01..
(which cut down the mfg cost)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The welds on ACOGs are huge.
View Quote

Those aren't welds, they are forging "seams" from the forging die.

If you look at some lower receivers, you will see the same in the front of the mag well and the rear of the receiver.

As to how predominant it is, depends on how well the manufacturer finish machined the piece. I have seen a couple of TA01's that were showing a lot of "seam".

ACOG's are designed to be strong for rough usage, being "purdy" ain't part of the design.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm very impressed by all of the helpful responses. I feel a lot better now.

[beer]

I was mostly discouraged by the reticle blurring. I've been on the forum quite awhile and haven't come across a discussion related to it, but I only became interested in ACOGs recently.

I tried to get onto their website but I think it has been down for awhile.

Could someone link me to a thread or explain to me the reason for the blurring?

Yes, the seams are a little rough and the actual scope, if you look really close has some pits and digs underneath the finish. I realize this is supposed to be a tank of a scope, but from first glance it kind of looks like cutting corners. I was hoping it's not one of those $50,000 toilet seat deals. [:)]

The adjustment knobs are fine, but I was just suprised to see the same type of knobs on the ACOG as the Leapers.

I shouldn't have blown up until I went to the range and tested it out. I'm headed out there tonight.

I let you know, maybe a retraction will be in order.[noclue] [peep]

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Got it from Impactguns.com.

Sounds like I need new glasses [:(]. Guess I'm starting to age.

The right hand side crosshair is blurry. Is this normal?
Yes and this is why: By removing metal from a prism mirror makes the ACOG reticle pattern. This mirror is at about a 45-degree angle inside the gun sight. This means that the left side of the reticle is closer to the eye than the center of the reticle and the right side of the reticle is further from the eye. The result for the right side of the reticle is that it is focused beyond infinity. This can cause distortion on the right side of the reticle. The perceived distortion will be more or less depending on an individual's eyesight. The left side of the reticle is unaffected because the human eye has no difficulty focusing on a closer object. This in no way detracts from the performance of the scope. The image of the target area is not affected. Only the right hand side horizontal reticle line is blurry. This construction is required to achieve a parallax free vertical center of the scope, which allows the built in ranging on the reticle pattern.
There may be delays in delivery of this item due to military contract requirements.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
In use, you really won't notice the slight blur over there on the right...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top