Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:54 AM EDT
Does anyone know which spec(s) are cited for the Navy SEAL waterproofing depth?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a gunshow here next weekend.  I am sure the entire Team Six will be selling Jerky, Beanie Babies and Nazi Memorobilia.  I will ask them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC we're talking 75-80 feet here.

Mike

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what the Navy specifies; but I believe it is waterproof to 3ATM (66').
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is a gunshow here next weekend.  I am sure the entire Team Six will be selling Jerky, Beanie Babies and Nazi Memorobilia.  I will ask them.

Damn, I about choked on my drink!!!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy sells the product and called them on this question.
The depth rating is 3 atm which is 66ft but, its not a 100% that it will not fail at that depth.....

Hope This Helps Ya!
Remember
Pick Your Target, Exhale Slowly and Squeeze!
Louie Schreiner Founder of Yahoo! Groups : NortheastHunters  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
FACT: it will cost more than the price of two G-shocks to fix a broken crystal on a Navy Seal Watch.

/first hand knowledge

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The correct answer for USSOCOM is 66-feet, which is equal to 2-atmospheres.

Edited:  I stand corrected.  66-feet = 3 atmospheres.

Still, the USSOCOM requirement for waterproofing of optics remains 66-feet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya'll go swimming a lot?  I have a cousin who went on a cruise once, I'll ask how deep the pools are.  Wouldn't want my scope breaking on vacation.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

66' is three atmospheres (in seawater anyway). You are forgetting to add the atmosphere at the surface. After that every 33' is an additional atmosphere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Manx
Post Number :: 109

MI, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW
The last scuba class I taught I must have been wrong
hock.gif
Seems that over 20 years of deep diving in the Northeast has damage my brain because MANX with 106 post just set me straight inmy confusionhought
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Coffee almost went out through my nose!!! Thanks for the laugh before I head to work dvr!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet!  I love jerky!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Manx
Post Number :: 109

MI, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW
The last scuba class I taught I must have been wrong

Seems that over 20 years of deep diving in the Northeast has damage my brain because MANX with 106 post just set me straight inmy confusion

I thought that we count the surface as 1atm then 33 ft is 2 atm and then 66ft is 3 atm now I stand corrected.....Oh thats right HE`S WRONG.......

Car-Guy,

Manx is technically correct.  Although most of us will never dive in remote places such as South America, there are lake high in the Andes and other mountain ranges that lie above the 10,000 foot mark.  So the dive tables need to be adjusted for this.

P.S.  My 5888 posts trump your 11.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#14]
>>Car-Guy,
>>Manx is technically correct. Although most of us will never dive in remote places such as South America, there are lake high in the Andes and other mountain ranges that lie above the 10,000 foot mark. So the dive tables need to be adjusted for this.
P.S. My 5888 posts trump your 11.

I don`t think that Altitude Dive Tables came into play here??????
I thought it was a simple post ASKING OF THE ACOG`S WATERPROOF DEPTH ON NAVY SEALS MODEL did I miss something???

When someone is asked what the waterproof depth is on a watch, scope or submarine do they immediately break out the ALTITUDE TABLES ....Think Not!

It was a simple EASY question that was answered by me and another but, now you want to place yourself and your AR-15 on an assault dive with your mounted ACOG in South America or the High Lake Of The Andes for this post....WOW!
hathenWhat depth do you think my 100 meter timex will flood....
I`ll breakout the Altitude Tables On The Andes............hanks
Later
And
Remember

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
>>Car-Guy,
>>Manx is technically correct. Although most of us will never dive in remote places such as South America, there are lake high in the Andes and other mountain ranges that lie above the 10,000 foot mark. So the dive tables need to be adjusted for this.
P.S. My 5888 posts trump your 11.

I don`t think that Altitude Dive Tables came into play here??????
I thought it was a simple post ASKING OF THE ACOG`S WATERPROOF DEPTH ON NAVY SEALS MODEL did I miss something???

When someone is asked what the waterproof depth is on a watch, scope or submarine do they immediately break out the ALTITUDE TABLES ....Think Not!

It was a simple EASY question that was answered by me and another but, now you want to place yourself and your AR-15 on an assault dive with your mounted ACOG in South America or the High Lake Of The Andes for this post....WOW!
You beat me up on that one

Now when a student asks me Hey Louie
What depth do you think my 100 meter timex will flood....
I`ll breakout the Altitude Tables On The Andes............
It`s now 12 to your 5000 plus on your wisdom filled reply Thanks for teaching me something today.

Later
And
Remember

Yeah, but we are talking "Navy Seal" usage here.

Relax, in through the nose, out through the mouth (unless you are underwater).  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]
dvr9
Team Member

OK the Number IS......800-338-0563 bro ask the question of the waterproof depth of the scope
and when the answer is AROUND 66Ft Hit them with the Altitude Tables and see what reaction you get from them.......

I breath fine just, I just don`t like you attempting to make me look like I don`t know what i`m talking about when....The call was made to the company by my friends gun shop, before I posted the 66ft at normal sea level and then you want to show me after 20 years of teaching scuba that I should have taken in the fact of The Andes Mountains......Come On Bro STOPhrough
Did you also know that one can do what you stated in your closing statement UNDERWATER TOO??? ...................I can......In my full face mask or my commercial dive helmet.

Thats 13 to your 5000 plus I`m catching up Right???
Later Bro & I Hope No Hard Feelings
I Breath Just Fine
And
Remember
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
How about negative atmospheres for NASA space shuttle door gunners?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah, will my ACOG work in outer space?
At what altitude will it fail?

What if the SHTF in outer space? I  want to make sure I bought the right optic.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, will my ACOG work in outer space?
At what altitude will it fail?

What if the SHTF in outer space? I  want to make sure I bought the right optic.

My cousin's cousin's brothers's neighbor is a Door Gunner on an intergalatic cruiser with the uber Top Secret  Outer Galaxy Research Teams and he said they work just fine in our Galaxy out to about as far as Pluto  after that  an Aimpoint Clone is your bet if you want it to work in outer space.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
dvr9
Team Member

OK the Number IS......800-338-0563 bro ask the question of the waterproof depth of the scope
and when the answer is AROUND 66Ft Hit them with the Altitude Tables and see what reaction you get from them.......

I breath fine just, I just don`t like you attempting to make me look like I don`t know what i`m talking about when....The call was made to the company by my friends gun shop, before I posted the 66ft at normal sea level and then you want to show me after 20 years of teaching scuba that I should have taken in the fact of The Andes Mountains......Come On Bro STOP

>>Relax, in through the nose, out through the mouth (unless you are underwater).
Did you also know that one can do what you stated in your closing statement UNDERWATER TOO??? ...................I can......In my full face mask or my commercial dive helmet.

Thats 13 to your 5000 plus I`m catching up Right???
Later Bro & I Hope No Hard Feelings
I Breath Just Fine
And
Remember

Car-Guy...

You take yourself too seriously.  FWIW (for what it is worth) I too am a diver and a dive master, have been for coming up on 10 years.  You are new here so you may not know, but means that the statement was not to be taken to seriously and not meant to be offensive.  That is why I posted "relax, in through the nose, out through the mouth."  

If you ever find yourself in FL and need a place to dive, let me know, I can hook you up.  

DVR9
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#21]
www.iantd.com/rebreather/phys.html

Diving Fizicks and Fizzyology

PADI Open Water Inst (ret)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread has me wondering which is more gay...

Space or the ocean?

I hate the ocean.    Opinion comes from years spent in a pool swimming laps through out the year.   Freezing my ass off in the pacific ocean while growing up.    And getting a PADI certification and then getting over it due to the trauma of earlier years.

Every time I see water my nuts shrivel up and head for my armpits.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#23]
All their M4s I've seen here have TA01NSNs. I would call Trijicon and ask.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
All their M4s I've seen here have TA01NSNs. I would call Trijicon and ask.

they said 500' underwater.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I think that would qualify for a Navy Submarine Door Gunner rating....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So where can we buy the aqua-bump Navy Submarine Door Gunner certified M4?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So where can we buy the aqua-bump Navy Submarine Door Gunner certified M4?

Duh....at the gunshow.

Just ask the Seal Team Six guy selling Jerky and Miracle Aluminum Weld.  He has a crate load of them in his van out back.  Just ask for "the good stuff."

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Why worry about the scope, i would worry more about the ammo.  At what depth does the sealent let go, or lets say what depth does the bullet get pushed into the case.   If i'm underwater in my MK 21 helmet Thats a (superlight 17) for you civis out there,  My weapon of choice is the BROCO underwater cutting torch.  It's got a glow point on it, and anything the glow point touches is cut.  The range verys from 3' to a inch or so.  and the reload time suck.

Or you could always put your weapons and ammo in a watertight case, that would keep them close to ambiant air pressure 14.7 psia and not have to worry about anything.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#29]
That is an interesting question with the bullets.  Any other sealed cavities on an AR?  If the bullets are truly watertight, it doesn't take much overpressure to start squeezing things.  Get an air pocket in the fold of a drysuit and you'll find out pretty quick.  OK, someone's got to take a round of sealed 5.56 diving the next time and find out what depth "Little Geek"  folds at...

Outer space is an interesting question too...  Since it can take 2 ATM of overpressure (about 45PSI) it might be able to take 15PSI of underpressure...  Depends on how the seals are designed.  Wonder if they have a slight overpressure design for the NO2 fill as a way of keeping ambient pressure air and moisture out?  

Jeez, it must be Friday if these kinds of questions are troubling me more than my job!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#30]
jesus chr!st...

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I've heard 66' as well, thats my 2 cents.

Although to be honest, all the pics I've seen of seals doing training anfibious assaults, I haven't seen an optic on their firearm. Maybe they do use them is the field, I dunno????

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top