Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 8:21:49 AM EDT
Pretty much decided I want to go with a Trijicon TA31 sight, or the TA11, I want to mount this on a Bushmaster 16in M4 type rifle with the A3 upper. I had planned on removing the CH and mounting direct, is this a good choice and is there anything speicial I need to get? I tried to reseach Trijicon, so many options my head almost exploded
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#1]
all you need other than a ACOG would be a TA51 flat top mount Larue and arms have mounts as well .
i have a TA11 and it is mounted on a flat top i like it very much !
there is a TA11 for sale on the EE with the TA51 mount for $950.00 it looks new.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me try to get to think about mounting the ACOG to the carry handle, the way it was designed.  A number of us here have done so and like it very much.  Others find it's a tad too high and doesn't allow them the cheek weld they prefer.  Here are, IMO, the advantages to going with the carry handle method first:

1) It costs you nothing to try it!
2) All of the reticle compensations are designed for carry handle mounts, so the accuracy of the optic is as good as it gets in this mode.
3) With this mount your BUIS (Back-up Iron Sights) are immediately available at all times merely by looking beneath the ACOG - no expensive flip-ups!
4) If you decide you don't like this, you aren't out a penny!!

I mounted my TA31 to my A3 Bushie's CH and it's been a dream, both with an A2 stock and now with its ACE skeletonized stock, and its speed in close and accuracy down range have been everything I've wanted.

Give it try!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a good point. I'm heading off this weekend to take a look at an Aimpoint and anything else I lay my hands on, Trijicon, Eotech, whatever. The ACOG's are looking very tempting but not sure which one I want yet.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as mounting I would go with the TA51 or the ARMS #10 (I think).  I am not so sold on all this Quick Detach for and ACOG....It cost you 1000$ and is build like a tank just affix it the the damn rifle and forget about it....I would stick with a standard mount like the ones mentioned above...I think they both run about 50$...compared to 125$ for larue.

As for CH mounting...I think it is to high...and the BDC is set for 62 grains M855....if on the flat top it works with 55 grain M193 with in a MOA (per ACOG big BDC chart and personal experince).

Just my KISS opnion.

Matt Carper
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As far as mounting I would go with the TA51 or the ARMS #10 (I think).  I am not so sold on all this Quick Detach for and ACOG....It cost you 1000$ and is build like a tank just affix it the the damn rifle and forget about it....I would stick with a standard mount like the ones mentioned above...I think they both run about 50$...compared to 125$ for larue.

As for CH mounting...I think it is to high...and the BDC is set for 62 grains M855....if on the flat top it works with 55 grain M193 with in a MOA (per ACOG big BDC chart and personal experince).

Just my KISS opnion.

Matt Carper

Yeah, I don't think I am going to go QD with my TA31F.  The more and more I think about it, the factory TA51 mount is good.  It is the lowest one that you can get, it is as solid as it is going to get, and it is free with the ACOG.  I put it on, spin up the thumbnuts as tight as I can get them with my fingers, whip out the benchmade, add an 1/8 turn to eash thumbnut and that sucker isn't ever going to come off on its one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think I am going to go QD with my TA31F.  The more and more I think about it, the factory TA51 mount is good.  It is the lowest one that you can get, it is as solid as it is going to get, and it is free with the ACOG.  I put it on, spin up the thumbnuts as tight as I can get them with my fingers, whip out the benchmade, add an 1/8 turn to eash thumbnut and that sucker isn't ever going to come off on its one.

I dont think that it comes with a TA51 mount....my TA31 did not....but i could be wrong.  Although I thought it did and when I got it, and was suprised it did not beucase the advertisment made it sound as if it did...so the guy at my local gun shop was nice enough to throw in a ARMS #10 mount to ease my pain.

Matt Carper
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Different lettered models of ACOGs are designed for different mounting heights. Make usre you do it right or your BDC will not function properly. Off the top of my head, the TA01-NSN, TA31F were designed for flat top mounting. So were several others, even in the TA11 series.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Different lettered models of ACOGs are designed for different mounting heights. Make usre you do it right or your BDC will not function properly. Off the top of my head, the TA01-NSN, TA31F were designed for flat top mounting. So were several others, even in the TA11 series.

I think that fuctioning properly and within a MOA or otherwise known as within the width of the stadia lines is close enough to the same thing.  Just MHO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that fuctioning properly and within a MOA or otherwise known as within the width of the stadia lines is close enough to the same thing.  Just MHO.

You have leeway with barrel and ammo, to a degree, but if you mount it far too high or low, you are screwed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have leeway with barrel and ammo, to a degree, but if you mount it far too high or low, you are screwed.

Info about the TA31 direct from my email to Trijicon last week:

Thank you for your patronage of Trijicon products. By mounting your TA31 on a TA51 mount, you will not be able to use the iron-sight see through. Also, because your TA31 is calibrated for mounting on the higher profile of the carry handle, you may experience difficulties with sighting in. In addition, your bullet drop reticle will no longer be accurate. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact me at the number below.
Jim Clark
Customer Service

Subject: RE: ACOG flattop mount
So, my best bet is to put on a detachable A2 style carry handle, and mount the TA31 on that, then the sighting in, and BDR won’t be affected?

Yes, the carry handle mounting is recommended.
Jim Clark
Customer Service

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
npd, check, certain TA31 models are meant to be flat top mounted. most are meant for the carry handle though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Done deal, decided on a TA01NSN, found one in stock and should have it this week. If I'm not mistaken, this sight with fixed backup iron sigths and a flat top adapeter. So, all I need to do is take the carry handle off the Bushmaster carbin and bolt it one? Am I right or do I need something  else.

What grain ammo should I be using for this sight?

Thanks, NV
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Done deal, decided on a TA01NSN, found one in stock and should have it this week. If I'm not mistaken, this sight with fixed backup iron sigths and a flat top adapeter. So, all I need to do is take the carry handle off the Bushmaster carbin and bolt it one? Am I right or do I need something  else.

What grain ammo should I be using for this sight?

Thanks, NV

Yeah, it will bolt right on. I have on, 18 months old for $700 if thats cheaper than what you found. You'll want a BUIS, the ARMS#40L is good and will fit under it.

Use 62gr M855/SS109 in a 14.5 inch barrel for exact results. You ought to not be off by much with 55gr or commercial 62gr or even a 16" barrel, but some time at the long range table will let you know.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]
He will not want a BUIS actually.  His scope is not QD so he cant use the BUIS if he gets in a jam.  He will have to go back to his carry handle and use tools so he can just go to the carry handle once he removes the scope and then drop on the carry handle which he already owns.  UNitll then he has to use the crappy irons on top of the TA01NSN.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Combat_Jack...you mentioned "certain TA31 models are meant to be flat top mounted. most are meant for the carry handle though" ... i have a TA31, but have not used it yet, and mine is not marked as either a carry handle model or flat top model ... how can you identify which model you have? is there a factory reticle conversion available that converts TA31 from carry handle to flat top mode and visa versa? do ARMs or Larue mounts compensate for the difference between carry handle and flat top mounting so that TA31s can be zeroed in without approaching the adjusting limits of the TA31?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:00:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Combat_Jack...you mentioned "certain TA31 models are meant to be flat top mounted. most are meant for the carry handle though" ... i have a TA31, but have not used it yet, and mine is not marked as either a carry handle model or flat top model ... how can you identify which model you have? is there a factory reticle conversion available that converts TA31 from carry handle to flat top mode and visa versa? do ARMs or Larue mounts compensate for the difference between carry handle and flat top mounting so that TA31s can be zeroed in without approaching the adjusting limits of the TA31?

It doesn't make that much of a difference!

Read and believe!

ACOG BDC Thread
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Let me try to get to think about mounting the ACOG to the carry handle, the way it was designed.  A number of us here have done so and like it very much.  Others find it's a tad too high and doesn't allow them the cheek weld they prefer.  Here are, IMO, the advantages to going with the carry handle method first:

1) It costs you nothing to try it!
2) All of the reticle compensations are designed for carry handle mounts, so the accuracy of the optic is as good as it gets in this mode.
3) With this mount your BUIS (Back-up Iron Sights) are immediately available at all times merely by looking beneath the ACOG - no expensive flip-ups!
4) If you decide you don't like this, you aren't out a penny!!

I mounted my TA31 to my A3 Bushie's CH and it's been a dream, both with an A2 stock and now with its ACE skeletonized stock, and its speed in close and accuracy down range have been everything I've wanted.

Give it try!

am I wrong or are there certain ones you can't mount it to the handle with.. Something about having ot buy an adapter to fit the removable handles?

WARNING: I may just have lost my mind or be remebering bits & pieces of two or three things together.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Only the special ring compact ACOGS dont fit on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
hrm, so it's just that some come with the mount ... Okay then.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
npd, check, certain TA31 models are meant to be flat top mounted. most are meant for the carry handle though.

I specifically asked him about MY TA31. I have the DoD not the TA31F.

The ACOG models designed for flattop mounting. They can be identified by their chevron reticles, with the exception of the TA01NSN which sticks out like a sore thumb with it's integral top mounted BUIS:

TA11E Red Chevron .308
TA11F Red Chevron .223
TA11FA Amber Chevron .223
TA31F Red Chevron .223
TA01NSN No BAC Amber Crosshairs
TA55 Red Chevron .223
TA55A Red Chevron .308
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top