Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2018 5:50:59 AM EDT
I am looking for an optic for my 10.3” pistol. Basically looking for a smaller rifle to compliment my 14.5” with a TA31. I love this setup and optic and have no complaints about eye relief. To me the TA50 looks perfect, a smaller lighter optic with ok field of view. Looking around it seems like no one uses the TA50 in favor of the TA33. Why does the TA50 get no love? Here are the two guns I’m referencing:

https://imgur.com/a/uOD8093
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:47:20 PM EDT
You basically get the TA33 FOV with the TA31 eye relief
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:48:06 PM EDT
I know for awhile the reticle options were a lot more limited, as Trijicon put more effort into the 33 while letting the 50 stagnate (though they made a crossbow line from the 50 (?)). This is similar to the TA-44 vs 45/47.

Also, the eye relief is pretty short. This doesn’t matter if shooting NTCH, but a lot of 33 users fancy themselves the quick shooting tactical types and use it as a magnified red dot. The 33 does allow for better peripheral vision, albeit at expense of in-scope FOV (I’ve always said it’s like looking through a straw). The 50 doesn’t lend itself well to this type of quick shooting, and is akin to how the TA11 was popular in 3-Gun while the TA31 never was.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:52:12 PM EDT
I really have no issue shooting quickly with the ta31 and am ok with the short eye relief. Looks like the ta50 now has the same retical options. Or at least the horseshoe/dot that I like. The extra eye relief of the ta33, would that also mean a bigger eye box?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:21:04 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnowshoeBBQ:
I really have no issue shooting quickly with the ta31 and am ok with the short eye relief. Looks like the ta50 now has the same retical options. Or at least the horseshoe/dot that I like. The extra eye relief of the ta33, would that also mean a bigger eye box?
View Quote
The TA33 has an almost unmatched eye box for a magnified optic. Other than the TA11 I don't know if anything can compete with the eye box of the TA33.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:36:08 PM EDT
i've had a ta33 for about 2 years now and about every six months i want to sell it for a 4x model but here i am, still an owner.

for me, it works better for faster target aqusition at 50-100yds than it does for static shooting at 100+

i am just not able to get comfortable with it at anything over about 150 but i suppose that might be outside its intended range, especially with the chevron.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:50:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mr_h:
i've had a ta33 for about 2 years now and about every six months i want to sell it for a 4x model but here i am, still an owner.

for me, it works better for faster target aqusition at 50-100yds than it does for static shooting at 100+

i am just not able to get comfortable with it at anything over about 150 but i suppose that might be outside its intended range, especially with the chevron.
View Quote
Maybe you're confusing the model?

The x3 mag of the ta33 should easily be able to stretch to 300-400 yards.
Connecting with a reddot isn't too hard at 150, granted it's not the best for printing small groups from a bench.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:43:52 PM EDT

View Quote
Its intended range is anything within its BDC. I agree it is far from an ideal long range optic, or one meant for printing groups, but attaining silhouette hits <600m is definitely a realistic expectation.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/17/2018 4:13:57 PM EDT by mr_h]
Originally Posted By BarrettBoy:

Connecting with a reddot isn't too hard at 150, granted it's not the best for printing small groups from a bench.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

no, not confusing models, just not a fan of the chevron for distances over 200. the fiber optic reticle bloom doesnt help either. if i tape it, that helps. i think the tube effect of the 33 messes with my perception too. its like visual claustrophobia!

for me, 3x isnt enough magnification on 400 yds shots unless its from a prone and rested position. more practice would help but those kind of distances are not what i see as an acog's strength. i'll pick a different rifle for that.

ideally i think i would prefer the TA11J since it eliminates the 200m line, which IMO is unnecessary anyway. just which the scope wasnt so heavy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:08:28 PM EDT

no, not confusing models, just not a fan of the chevron for distances over 200. the fiber optic reticle bloom doesnt help either. if i tape it, that helps. i think the tube effect of the 33 messes with my perception too. its like visual claustrophobia!

for me, 3x isnt enough magnification on 400 yds shots unless its from a prone and rested position. more practice would help but those kind of distances are not what i see as an acog's strength. i'll pick a different rifle for that.

ideally i think i would prefer the TA11J since it eliminates the 200m line, which IMO is unnecessary anyway. just which the scope wasnt so heavy.
View Quote
You don't use the chevron for distances over 200. The tip of the chevron is 100m, the tip of the post is 300m/the very bottom of the chevron, and the hash marks out to 600m. So I guess if that's what you were talking about I agree. The bottom of the chevron doesn't not allow any kind of precision but its made to hit a silhouette at 300m not a clay pigeon.

The TA33R-H or G-H has a much more open reticle around the post but its still not great for precision. The Acog is made to put hits on a man size target, out to 600m in the TA33s case. It does that very well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:39:28 PM EDT

View Quote
I agree with your point about visual claustrophobia that's what it felt like to me when I had one too. Maybe a TA11 would fit me but I doubt I'll be able to afford one anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:58:15 PM EDT

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You don’t use the chevron past 200 though. From 300 onward you’re using the BDC. I agree the chevron has a poor 200m hold, but it’s not alone in that regard, and 200m is the most logical hold to skimp on given how similar it is to the 100m.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:00:06 PM EDT
I ended up going with a TA33. I liked how the TA50 was smaller and lighter, but decided to go for the one with the best eye box. On a short and light pistol I thought it made more sense. Also, the FOV wasn’t enough of a difference to factor much.

https://i.imgur.com/a/xc56XNs
Top Top