Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 3:42:50 PM EDT
I have a Colt Sporter II, I've noticed that the trigger pin moves left during firing (to the point of slipping out of place after 30-40 shots).  Anybody else had a problem like this or know what is going on?  Needless to say, it's becoming very annoying to have to push the pin back into position every few shots to avoid a lengthy session of "try to get the pin back into place".
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Trigger and hammer pins are clearance fit into the receiver and have two grooves cut into them.  The center one engages the J spring in the hammer to keep it centered.  The hammer spring legs are supposed to lie on top of the trigger pin and engage the second or outer groove to keep it centered.

I suspect your hammer spring leg is not engaging the groove in your trigger pin.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Oldguy, right idea, but wrong pin.

The trigger pin is retained by the leg of the hammer spring. You need to open the rifle and look down into the receiver.  The hammer spring legs should be on top of the trigger side C slot and pressing down on the pin in the grove (pin is grooved on one side only).  If the hammer spring has been bent (lightened), check to see if the back of the C slot on the trigger is raising the spring leg off the pin and out of the groove when the trigger is pulled. If the legs where bent to lightened, it should have been done at the coils, and not down the leg that changed the angle of the spring leg to the pin.

Also, if you have polished the pins, you may have to deepen the groove in the trigger pin to keep the spring leg from riding out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Bilouxi,

Did you get the point that the hammer sping legs are supposed to on top of the trigger pin and one of them should set in the outside annular groove of the trigger pin thereby retaining it?

I hope you have got it since you were told twice. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, can't get to work on it until mid-week though due to the fact that I'm at school right now and they make us keep weapons locked up in the on-campus police station.  Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll be able to fix this before my next trip to the range.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top