Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:53:50 PM EDT
Ok I have been wondering but didnt ask due to flamers.

Why does the ar15 have this removable trigger guard with its weak pin points. I mean why isnt it just machined out from the solid aluminim block.

NOW before you flame me, I mean yes so you can change them out with different shapes. Well since few do switch it out and there are only like 3 choices again i ask why?

Many many posts here of cracking the lower placing in the rollpin so im am wondering if there is another reason.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:00:11 PM EDT
so you can shoot with gloves or mittens.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:06:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By falm16:
so you can shoot with gloves or mittens.

Exactly !
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 6:16:16 PM EDT by CrotalusCo]

so you can shoot with gloves or mittens

what you take the guard off so you can shoot with gloves or mittens, or are you saying the only reason is so that you can put the larger guard on.

I dont see many people taking out and reinsterting that rollpin every time you are wearing gloves being how weak that point is.

As for the larger guard -- again why not just mill it out as a solid guard even if you make it larger. On a carbine its not like the "oversize" trigger guard size is a huge an issue as it is on a pistol as you are supporting under the trigger guard with your off hand
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:29:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CrotalusCo:
I dont see many people taking out and reinsterting that rollpin every time you are wearing gloves being how weak that point is.

That's because they don't. The roll pin stays in (the rear one), you simply press the detent (front one) in to release the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:43:25 PM EDT
Two reasons, one has been stated (gloves), the other is that if you bash the bottom of the trigger guard in (say like on a rock when you had to hit the deck due to enemy fire) and it has jammed up against the trigger you can push in the push pin and release the guard.

Supposedly the new plastic trigger guards are made of plastic to that they'll bend in and back or break instead of bending in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:45:35 PM EDT
why fix it if it ain't broke
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 7:54:00 PM EDT by xcpd69]

Why does the ar15 have this removable trigger guard with its weak pin points. I mean why isnt it just machined out from the solid aluminim block.

NOW before you flame me, I mean yes so you can change them out with different shapes. Well since few do switch it out and there are only like 3 choices again i ask why?

Many many posts here of cracking the lower placing in the rollpin so im am wondering if there is another reason.

It's not that it was designed to be removeable. It's that it was designed to pivot down, after unlocking the front, so it can be fired under arctic conditions with fingerless mittens or very thick gloves. All you need to unlock it is a bullet tip. The custom guards came about 40 years later.

Lonny
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:25 AM EDT
So Magpul can make money by selling you an ENHANCED trigger guard!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:49:56 AM EDT

I'm just making a crazy wild guess here...but I'd say that their lowers werent properly supported underneath when they were tapping in the pin...

Yes there are only a few trigger guard options...but few is better than none!
What if it was one solid piece...and YOU wanted to change it? Have fun with that! !!

Options are always a good thing

Top Top