Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2007 12:05:46 PM EDT
Just out of curiosity which would you guys pick a single or double stage trigger and why?, also any feedback on the Timney single stage trigger would be greatly appreciated?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you use the rifle for.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's largely a matter of prior training and personal preference.  

Supposedly, a two stage is preferred in a semi-automatic because you can run it at higher total pull weight for safety and have it "feel" lighter than it really is.  This is achieved by tkaing upo most of the total pull weight in the first stage.  A small additional force (second stage) is all that's required to fire.\

Supposedly, a single stage trigger is faster, as you don't have to waste time taking up the first stage but being careful not to trip the second stage.  0.5 seconds per round was once quoted as the difference.  That's 5.0 seconds total over a 10 round string.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think it's largely a matter of prior training and personal preference.  

Supposedly, a two stage is preferred in a semi-automatic because you can run it at higher total pull weight for safety and have it "feel" lighter than it really is.  This is achieved by tkaing upo most of the total pull weight in the first stage.  A small additional force (second stage) is all that's required to fire.\

Supposedly, a single stage trigger is faster, as you don't have to waste time taking up the first stage but being careful not to trip the second stage.  0.5 seconds per round was once quoted as the difference.  That's 5.0 seconds total over a 10 round string.

Was that a three toed sloth that gave that difference in trigger pulls?  My recoil recovery takes longer than pulling  the trigger of a two stage so the time difference is ZERO up close.  I pull straight through like a single stage trigger.  At a distance you have to have a "suprise" break with a single stage where for a good 1-3 seconds you dont know exactly when the trigger will release if you want maximum accuracy.  With a two stage I know the exact millisecond the gun will go off.  That is its biggest advantage to me... knowing when the gun will go off and being able to release the instant I am sure I have a good shot.  I like 2 stage triggers for all rifles.  I have one on my SBR.  There are no real downsides to a two stage trigger IMO.  You cal always pull straight through like a single stage or go for the timed precision only a 2 stage offers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a recent National Champion, not a three toed sloth.  This guy KNOWS rapid fire shooting.  Unless you are one of those few world class match shooters in the USA, you would do better to listen rather than speak.  If you are, all I can say is to each his own.  

Whether you are or aren't I read your post and will consider what you say.  All I know is I don't get on my trigger until I settled back from the recoil.  For me, it adds time.  I'm lucky, though, I can adjust my trigger to make it into a single stage if I want to.  That was his suggestion.  I'm just too busy to do it.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer a single stage pull.

My background is with defensive handguns, shooting them for the last 25 years and carrying them for the last 18 years.

I am used to and prefer a short, crisp trigger pull on my handguns. So thats what I like on my rifles too. I have a Timney trigger in my AR.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just out of curiosity which would you guys pick a single or double stage trigger and why?, also any feedback on the Timney single stage trigger would be greatly appreciated?

It depends.

I shoot a service rifle across the course in NRA high power.  The rules say I have to have a trigger no lighter than 4-1/2 lbs.  A 4-1/2 lbs single stage trigger is still a relatively heavy trigger, so most (dare I say all) high power service rifle shooters use two stage triggers 'cause it makes 4-1/2 lbs feel a lot lighter than it really is.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top