Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2004 3:27:51 PM EDT
Really happy with how it turned out.  What do you think?

After several opinions, I have decided to undo the Bushmaster logo and leave just the safe & fire.   I think the opinion that really did it in for me was the fact that the tail of the snake looked like a penis.  I would have to agree, and the color makes it only stand out more!!!  There is no way that I could seriously shoot my rifle with the thought of man sausage on my mind.  Anyways, here's the final configuration:

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
For what you wanted it to do...it looks fantastic.

But I think filling in the lettering on AR's looks absolutely awful
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't like highlighting the markings on AR's either. But for those that do, yours turned out great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For what you wanted it to do...it looks fantastic.

+1
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Not my cup of tea either, but you stayed in the lines so hey, good job!

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it was a china grease pen that its done with?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I've done this many times on various rifles with model paint. Clean thoroughly, thin the paint slightly, use a fine paint brush and fill in the grooves. Then take a low lint cloth and dampen with thinner lightly wiping away the excess paint.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks soooo HKish, and I REALLY like HK!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought it was a china grease pen that its done with?

I've heard it called that as well.  I think they are one in the same.  Must just depend on the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It looks soooo HKish, and I REALLY like HK!

Me too, but thats a bushmaster :-)
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
They are called oil based pastels also.  You can get them in Michaels w/ the art supplies.  Pretty cheap.
Paige
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
looks pretty cool, just dont like the snake filled in. but on the saftey, it looks great
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know about you all but I'm glad it's a snake with a tail like that , other wise I would think it's a penis. And when did a bushmaster turn into a rattle snake? It still looks good though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Don't hold back now, tell me what you really think.  LOL

I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't hold back now, tell me what you really think.  LOL

I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

I wasn't trying to be insulting, but you asked for our opinions.  I just don't like filled in lettering.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Good catch on the rattles.  I had not noticed that on my Bushy.  My son is heavily into herps and he will have a fit when he see that.  Rattles on a Bushmaster, that's like tits on a bore hog.
I too fooled around with filling lettering and found Testors model car paint work very well and is much more durable than the grease pencils.  Another nice thing about the Testors is that no matter how long it is there, a little mineral spirits takes it off if and when you get sick of it without hurting any finish that I have tried it on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Dear god that's ugly (hey, you asked).

Some of the silliest looking shit I've ever seen on or done to a firearm have come about because of sheer boredom.  I'm going to assume that's the case here too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I like it, but then again I think that an AR with a forward grip, laser light, flashlight, and scope looks like shit.  It's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I like it, but then again I think that an AR with a forward grip, laser light, flashlight, and scope looks like shit.  It's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

Perhaps if those items were intended to make the rifle look good that might matter.

I'd say we're of two completely divergent points of view.  A large part of why I think the grease pencil look is horrible is because it serves absolutely no purpose other than "looking cool".

I behold a hammer that someone decided to paint in tigerstripe cammo all because they thought the purpose of the hammer was to look good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I agree, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps if those items were intended to make the rifle look good that might matter.

I'd say we're of two completely divergent points of view.  A large part of why I think the grease pencil look is horrible is because it serves absolutely no purpose other than "looking cool".

I behold a hammer that someone decided to paint in tigerstripe cammo all because they thought the purpose of the hammer was to look good.

Well said.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I buy firearms for two reasons:

1)  Functionality

2)  Looks

Can you honestly tell me that you have never looked at a firearm, and said "wow, that looks cool (awesome, sweet, etc, etc)".   If you answer yes to this, then I feel very sorry for you.  To me, funcionality is only 1/2 of the thrill of the hobby and I get the impression that you make your firearms purchases based solely on functionality.

What would be wrong with this, does personal cosmetic preference deteriorate from performance?  seems to me that the hammer would still work just fine.

A large part of why I think the grease pencil look is horrible is because it serves absolutely no purpose other than "looking cool".

Your comment implies that I was trying to enhance my rifles performance in some way???  Do you ever trim the hair around your jimmy or is that a horrible look because it serves absolutely no purpose?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just don't get it.

What don't you get???  That I wanted my rifle to look the way that I would like it.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude, calm down.  You posted pics and asked for opinions.  Don't get upset when we give them to you.  I personally like a good looking weapon, but I believe form must follow function, and what you did serves absolutely no functional purpose.  Your time would have been better spent practicing reload drills, but it is your time, so...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just don't get it.

What don't you get???  That I wanted my rifle to look the way that I would like it.

You seem to be off to great start here on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
and what you did serves absolutely no functional purpose.  

Didn't intend for it to serve a purpose.  My whole point is, it's one thing to say that you do not like the way it looks, but do not tell me that it looks like shit because it is not functional.  Functionality has nothing to do with appearance.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I like my EBR's to look EVIL  I think the red with black (although evil colors) take away from the evilness...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You seem to be off to great start here on ARFCOM.

Why?  Because I'm trying to prove a point?  Actually, I have met a few people on here that are absolutely wonderful people.

The whole point is this.  The comments that people made were absolutely fine when they stated that they do not like the look.  I didn't even mind the puking smiley.  I actually thought it was funny.  What pisses me off are the people that are mixing functionality with appearance.  "It serves no functional purpose."  Well, now my day is ruined because I thought this would really improve my accuracy.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off or start a flame war.  Just trying to plead my case.  To some of you it may be a waste of time, but to me it was something that I enjoyed doing and I like the outcome.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#30]
looks good!  Not really my cup of tea but I did see a Blue AR here on the boards that "almost" made me puke in my mouth a little bit.  All joking aside, run with it, you spent the money on YOUR gun, do what YOU want to it!  I think it looks cool, but just dont know if I'd do the snake on one of my guns.  Speaking of the snake...why doesnt bushy just change there picture to $$$, does anyone really get what they pay for with a bushy?  Just a rant, but I see no difference between them and any other lower.

Peace out!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Yet another case of "hmm, I'm gonna do something really cool and post pics of it on arfcom; all the guys will think it/I is/am really cool", yet when it's posted and in fact nobody thinks it (or the poster) are really cool they get upset.

If you actually liked it, and did it only for yourself, and didn't care what any of us thought you wouldn't have posted it here or gotten all upset that nobody thought it/you was/are cool.

Yes, I have looked at guns and thought "that looks really cool"; then I grew up.

Oh, and your tigerstripe hammer wouldn't in fact work as well, because as soon as you dropped it you'd be wasting hours looking for it.  It's one thing to decorate a tool and not negatively effect it's function, its a whole other ballgame to decorate it and make the tool less useful.

It's no sweat off my balls either way, but you asked for opinions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Painting in the FIRE and SAFE indicators makes a lot of sense. I also painted in the very tip of my safety selector so you can easily tell what it's pointing to. Also, I have the windage knob done on my rear sights which easily allows you to see which way is right, which is left. Besides those two, the rest really is cosmetic and subject to personal taste, and quite honestly, why do we care how somebody else's gun looks? If you think it looks good, say so. If it doesn't, keep it to yourself unless the person asks for an opinion to make it look better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the lettering filled in on the safety, but that's about it for me.

That's one of the things I like about my Carbon 15 is the red and white lettering on the safety.

Is it functional? Yes. While I know the positions by heart, my wife does not. It's nice for her to be able to know if the gun is on safe at a glance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yet another case of "hmm, I'm gonna do something really cool and post pics of it on arfcom; all the guys will think it/I is/am really cool", yet when it's posted and in fact nobody thinks it (or the poster) are really cool they get upset.

If you actually liked it, and did it only for yourself, and didn't care what any of us thought you wouldn't have posted it here or gotten all upset that nobody thought it/you was/are cool.

Yes, I have looked at guns and thought "that looks really cool"; then I grew up.

Oh, and your tigerstripe hammer wouldn't in fact work as well, because as soon as you dropped it you'd be wasting hours looking for it.  It's one thing to decorate a tool and not negatively effect it's function, its a whole other ballgame to decorate it and make the tool less useful.

One more time here norm.  I did not intend to improve the functionality of the rifle.  I did it simply because I like the way it looked.  I am not mad that you do not like the way it looks.  I am mad because you cannot seem to figure out the difference between appearance and functionality.  Your idiocy is maddening.  BTW, your comment about growing up, proves that you have yet to do so.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One more time her norm.  I did not intend to improve the functionality of the rifle.  I did it simply because I like the way it looked.  I am not mad that you do not like the way it looks.  I am mad because you cannot seem to figure out the difference between appearance and functionality.  Your idiocy is maddening.  BTW, your comment about growing up, proves that you have yet to do so.

Oh for christ's sake.  Your rifle looks nerdy, and you're mad nobody likes it.  Move on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One more time her norm.  I did not intend to improve the functionality of the rifle.  I did it simply because I like the way it looked.  I am not mad that you do not like the way it looks.  I am mad because you cannot seem to figure out the difference between appearance and functionality.  Your idiocy is maddening.  BTW, your comment about growing up, proves that you have yet to do so.

Oh for christ's sake.  Your rifle looks nerdy, and you're mad nobody likes it.  Move on.

I like it.........dont hit me
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Why is anybody fighting over this? The only person whose opinion should matter as to how good your rifle looks is yours. Think about this, you two are fighting over a painted in picture of a snake on the side of a piece of aluminum. Is it really that big of a deal?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Get real.  Most everyone here does all this crap to their rifles for looks, not functionality, myself included (like I really need a Beta C mag when I am not going up against anything more dangerous than a 3 inch bullseye).  4 rail free float tubes, forward grips, Surefire lights, lasers, BUIS, rail covers, the list is endless and most of the people here who have all these gizmos on their rifles will never see a second's combat.  In fact for these people, all that stuff is JUST for looks.  The owners might try to justify it and pass it off as functional (for those SHTF scenarios, yah, right, like those happen every week or two), but be honest, if you never use it for anything other than playing commando, it ain't functional, it's play and it's for looks.  If you want all that stuff more power to you.  It's your rifle, your money, and if you want to put stuff on it that turns a lightweight carbine into a tank, then that is great if it makes you happy I am behind you 100%.  And if you want to highlight the engraving, or paint it a hot pink, it's your rifle and if you like it then that is all that matters.  He asked if we liked it, and saying no is OK, but there is absolutely no reason to get hateful about it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Holy shit, you replied without using the term functionality.  Thank You.  I can now move on.  Whew, thought that was never going to end, and I'm a stubborn SOB.  We could have been here until the wee hours of the AM going back and forth.

You just gatta love discussion forums!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Why is anybody fighting over this? The only person whose opinion should matter as to how good your rifle looks is yours. Think about this, you two are fighting over a painted in picture of a snake on the side of a piece of aluminum. Is it really that big of a deal?

The last part of that statement is friggin' hilarious.  You're right.  LOL.  I guess that's what forums are all about.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Get real.  Most everyone here does all this crap to their rifles for looks, not functionality, myself included (like I really need a Beta C mag when I am not going up against anything more dangerous than a 3 inch bullseye).  4 rail free float tubes, forward grips, Surefire lights, lasers, BUIS, rail covers, the list is endless and most of the people here who have all these gizmos on their rifles will never see a second's combat.  In fact for these people, all that stuff is JUST for looks.  The owners might try to justify it and pass it off as functional (for those SHTF scenarios, yah, right, like those happen every week or two), but be honest, if you never use it for anything other than playing commando, it ain't functional, it's play and it's for looks.  If you want all that stuff more power to you.  It's your rifle, your money, and if you want to put stuff on it that turns a lightweight carbine into a tank, then that is great if it makes you happy I am behind you 100%.  And if you want to highlight the engraving, or paint it a hot pink, it's your rifle and if you like it then that is all that matters.  He asked if we liked it, and saying no is OK, but there is absolutely no reason to get hateful about it.

Well said!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#42]

With that said, I like the lettering on the safe and fire... but not a huge fan of the red snake.  My kids' AR's WILL have the lettering painted.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#43]
IS THAT RUST !!!!  It looks like you have rust around the selector lever, around the rear takedown pin, and on the mag catch.

Is this really rust ????
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
IS THAT RUST !!!!  It looks like you have rust around the selector lever, around the rear takedown pin, and on the mag catch.

Is this really rust ????

aluminum dont rust
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#45]
i used crayonos. looks awesome.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this really rust ????

aluminum dont rust

Then what the hell is that?  +1 to all the posts about doing what you want with your time/money, but it's that rust-looking crap that is chapping my a$$.  

Get some CLP and wipe that crap off!  Quick!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this really rust ????

aluminum dont rust

Then what the hell is that?  +1 to all the posts about doing what you want with your time/money, but it's that rust-looking crap that is chapping my a$$.  

Get some CLP and wipe that crap off!  Quick!

Get a grip bud. It's just the light/shadow hitting the build up of oil and dust
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I did just the fire and safe on mine not sure if i wanna go any further with it..Got mine from Brownells called Lacquer Stiks pretty cheap..picked up RED,WHITE and BLACK<(for a try on stainless bbl markings..might be cool
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm planning on getting a white china marker and painting the horsey logo on my Colt AR and posting it in this forum just to see what happends.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm planning on getting a white china marker and painting the horsey logo on my Colt AR and posting it in this forum just to see what happends.  

you might as well shoot yourself in the foot and post those pictures, you'll get the same response the way this one's going!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top