Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2003 5:13:39 PM EDT
I just wasn't very impressed after all the hype I heard. Seemed chincy and real awkward with a 16" barrel. It just felt like I wasn't cleaning the bore and chamber quite right. Having the bore brush pop out of the muzzle and spray solvent/CLP all over really sucks too. I don't know, maybe it will just take some time to get used to it, however my overall impression is that this kit was designed with a hasty field cleaning in mind.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
How is it any different as far as spray is concerned with any other kit? Are you pulling the thing out at hyper speed or what?  Every rifle should be cleaned from breach to muzzle no matter what kit you use. Did you get the M16 kit?   Having a tight patch is far better IMO! Not some bore snake or metal rod.

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel that I have more control with the rod and jag. The patches I push with the rod and jag are also just as tight if not tighter than the Otis. As far as spray, you can simply place a rag in front of your muzzle or use a patch hog. When your pulling, the spray hits you and goes all over the counter top.

Im not looking to start a flame war here. I do think that this M16 kit is better than the USGI kit with sectional steel rods, however for a good thourough cleaning I don't think it can touch the high end Dewey and Boretech rod kits.

DD out!!  [sniper]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The patches I push with the rod and jag are also just as tight if not tighter than the Otis.
View Quote

Only in your mind.  Seriously, the mechanics of the situtaion allow you to pull a much tighter patch than push it - no matter if you're using a rod or a cable.

As far as spray, you can simply place a rag in front of your muzzle
View Quote

An excellent suggestion.

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Agree with the above!

I dont wanna flame either.  Didn't mean to come off that way!  The rag method sounds good I have just never had the spray problem with mine.  I will say pulling a patch with a flexible rod that will follow the rifling exactly to it's dimensions seems the way to go for me.  I will also say you can pull a patch so tight with the OTIS that would never come out with a rod.  If you get a tight patch with a rod it will flex and bend inside the bore lapping the bbl and possible marring it.  An OTIS will not.

Just my one cent[:)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as the brush spraying solvent when it exits the muzzle, I have a nasty-ass old bath towel that I drape around the muzzle when using the brush.

I find myself using the bore snake quite a bit.  It seems to save a lot of time.  When I'm doing a thorough cleaning, the bore snake will get the heavy lifting out of the way quick. Then I settle down with a rod and a jag to get out the remaining powder fouling and the copper.

But for a simple "clean the gun after returning from the range", the bore snake is hard to beat.  Run it through a couple times, wipe off the bolt and carrier with a CLP-soaked patch, and I'm good to go.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top