Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/19/2016 8:33:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 8:55:16 PM EST by miwafr]
I bought a pair of triangle handguards awhile back from someone here on the forum.
They are a poor match finish wise & I have to attempt to get the finish to match.
I am perplexed that I cannot get them to fit on the A2 20 RRA I "wound" up with.
It came with skinny round handguards, but love the triangles,duckbill & A1\A2 buttstock look.
Does the front cap come in different sizes?
Will ad pics later.
I know this isn't rocket surgery ,but did I overlook something or just not pry enough?
Triangle front cap...
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:47:40 PM EST
Silly question, is your front cap round or triangular?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:51:49 PM EST
FPNI. you need a triangular handguard cap
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:54:06 PM EST
cap is triangle
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:44:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 10:48:36 PM EST by Cdenmark]
Measure the barrel diameter and HG opening holding both HG's together. HG's should be around 0.835ish. If barrel diameter measures larger than HG opening you will need to trim a bit off HG's.

Not uncommon with heavy match barrels but I'd measure or inspect before any trimming of HG's. If HG gets twisted a tad on install it will appear like they won't fit. Might need an extra hand as per USGI TM for A-1 HG install if lacking skills or tools to do them without assistance. You are trying to install rifle length HG's on a rifle length system?

Put one side on. Should be able to get that one in or at least see why it won't fit. I use channel locks or the plastic coated handles for my wrench if necessary especially on new weld springs as they can be a little stiff. Main reason they ditched the flat slip ring was most the GI's couldn't remove the HG's without assistance. It's how it was done per technical manual for A-1.

Once delta ring was instituted most GI's could at least remove a HG without their buddies help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:41:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/20/2016 8:42:56 AM EST by miwafr]
It is an HBAR upper so maybe that's it.
Will measure & possibly trim for fitment
I am gong to dig out the dissapator upper & check that as well
Now just getting the finish right on the HG's
Got skills & tools & carpal tunnel to boot! LOL
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:22:23 PM EST
OP, saw in other thread you have a NM A-2 RRA upper which is free floated. The A-1 HG's are not going to work without more modification than I described on the NM free float tube. I didn't know it was a RRA NM upper or it didn't register when I posted previously. Look at the inside of the A-2 HG's that came with upper we know will clear and mod your A-1's to fit, if that's what you want to use. It can be done. Probably going to have to cut or remove the heat shields or a rivet or two and mod shield as NM upper has a free float tube which is larger diameter than the already heavy profile barrel and the A-1 HG inside diameter was never intended to fit over a NM free float tube.

Easiest to remove front four rivets (two on top and 2 on bottom) and slice / cut at notch in shield where ID is still larger than free float. Still leave some riveted in heat shield rearward in case of excessive heat. Probably not going to get a NM very hot shooting as intended. You can also remove the complete shield do some metal expansion and re-install shield. Going to have to open up end on HG also.

I know Hot Wheels toy car Hong Cong version / mfg rounded restoration rivets are nearly identical to those used on the A-1 HG shields in physical dimension. To remove the original rivets they are almost threaded like a wood screw so kinda pain to remove. I use a punch and then drill them out. Mod and epoxy in new. Good luck!

May be easier to remove free float but those are generally factory loc-tited and can be a pain to remove without scarring all up. Many don't like taking a torch to their AR-15 especially a brand new NM upper. Probably best to leave alone for now find a set of beater triangle HG's, remove the heat shields, dremel the front to clear as in previous post and you have a NM free float w/ A-1 HG's.
Top Top