Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2004 12:46:10 PM EDT
Many questions: How were the originals made? Were they cut down full lenth triangle handguards? Were front and rear stamped metal Delta rings especially made for these?
Can these be made by cutting down triangle type handguards ? What parts would be needed to do this.
I know there is a company making reproductions of these but the quality is not good.
Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not aware that triangular handguards were ever used on issue carbines (XM177, CAR-15, or M4).   I cannot recall ever seeing them on any AR-15's with 16" barrels, either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen pics. IIRC, there's a company making them. I do'nt have the link, but i'm sure someone will post it in no time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently, the only triangle carbine HGs were put on a couple of early experimental carbine types built up by Colt when they were first trying to peddle the AR to the government. They were never an issue item, and I doubt any more than a few hundred were ever made, if even that many.

I don't see any way you could modify an A1 rifle set to work as carbine length.  Even if you could cut the rifle set down and get it to fit on a short barrel, without destroying it, the dimensions of width and height would be all wrong.  Apparently someone has made up some in the right dimensions, because I've seen pics of a couple.  To my eye, they look like crap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Total Silence  home.comcast.net/~luthier4/ has the short carbine triangle handguards.
There's a stamped triangular piece of sheetmetal with a lip at the rear.  The handguards are shortened from the back, with the front part staying the same.

uxb & a few other arfcommers have them on their carbines, uxb even has the early style telestock on his (Colt xm601 style).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I also found this:

Quoted:
Last time I checked they were around $35.00 per set.

Hay River Trading Co.
P.O. Box 176
Almena WI 54805
715-357-6054

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
i want one made for my mid-length...

that would be interesting to see
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top