Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2018 2:24:00 AM EDT
Started looking into buying another ACOG. Trijicon now offers an led powered ACOG.

Has anyone had experience with both? Likes/dislikes of the led ACOG?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I like my  traditional ones. Less to break. Fiber rod will work forever. But if I found a good deal I would buy a led one. I don’t think the mil has any led ones in service.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I think a cool model would be Fiber Optic and LED powered.
LED Powered for use when ambient light isn't available. I think it's superior as you're able to adjust how bright it is, however you insert the problems of an LED optic.
Fiber Optic for outside use as they can get bright as hell. (I like em' bright)

I also think Trijicon should make an ACOG that has the adjustable cover for the fiber optic like they do on their Accupoint series.

I remember Trijicon came out with the tri power, I don't know why they flopped. Probably had a fatal flaw.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LED Powered for use when ambient light isn't available. I think it's superior as you're able to adjust how bright it is, however you insert the problems of an LED optic.

I also think Trijicon should make an ACOG that has the adjustable cover for the fiber optic like they do on their Accupoint series.

I remember Trijicon came out with the tri power, I don't know why they flopped. Probably had a fatal flaw.
View Quote
That'd be pretty snazzy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with the trit/fiber.

For the right price, I'd be willing to try an LED one though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Disclaimer. I am not an operator, door kicker, weapons expert, competitor, etc, etc. So don't be too critical. I have however owned several ACOGs (all with tritium and one with LED) and one Browe over the years. I have used both red and green reticles and several different magnifications and reticle patterns. I have fired both day and night matches. My most recent purchase is a TA110 LED 3.5X green horseshoe and it is my favorite by far. Reasons for choices follow

1. Shooting from dark areas to well lit areas I very often find the tritium/ fiber optic light reticle disappears. This doesn't happen with the LED. If it does I can turn a knob.

2. Reticle bloom. I have never really experienced it but I have never used one in Iraq or any other mega sunny area either. LED does away with this.

3. The night course I fired, granted it was a few years ago, the tritium reticle and other lines were essentially absent for the most part as far as acquisition and engagement. I understand that isn't the intent for the tritium but the LED functions more like an Aimpoint would and is adjustable to boot.

4. Cant say anything as to durability of an LED right now. The data on the LED is exponentially less as it has not been fielded to the degree the tritium has. Even if it was I am sure it would be a bit less durable due to the simple fact there is more shit to go south. A vast vast majority will never have this issue I bet. Even if it does the etched reticle is still present for normal engagements. Having said that battery life of 12000 hours on a setting 4 of 6 is awesome. BTW 4 is bright as hell and much more than you will need a majority of the time depending on your location of course.
ETA for frame of reference: 1 year is 8760 hours.

5. I can say I love the adjustment knob of the ACOG LED, especially over the Browe push button method. It is much more K.I.S.S. IMO This of course is my personal preference. I am also a huge fan of the Leupold HAMR which is essentially the same type optic as an LED ACOG but it has been discontinued.

6. Speaking on personal preferences, magnification, reticle colors, and patterns are all geared to your personal preference and environment. They are very subjective to each individual.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You can buy fat black plastic staws for cheap. The .240" diameter or .300" diameter will work.

Cut the black straw slightly shorter than the fiber optic tube.

Cut it again in half.

Then slit the straws lengthwise in a straight line.

The straws will completely cover the fiber optic if you don't want any glow. You can slip one of the straws over the edge of the other straw and slide it down until you get the brightness you desire.

They will stay on the fiber optic and not leave any sticky residue like tape does.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had several TA31's over the years.  The only thing I didn't like about them was going from light to dark.  It always seemed to take a few seconds for my eyes to adjust and see the lighter reticle.  I just picked up a 3.5x LED about a month ago.  That should solve my only problem.

disclaimer: not a tier 1 tactical ninja frogman
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Have both.  Fiber has few short-comings.  The LED does away with these.  Not a mandatory upgrade, but a nice one.

Batt lasts forever.  Personally love it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
They DO make ACOGs with adjustable fiber optic brightness, just not any of the TA31s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They DO make ACOGs with adjustable fiber optic brightness, just not any of the TA31s.
View Quote
Huh, I thought that the only acog they offered it on was their 6x.
To be honest, I'm surprised that no one has made a product to do that. It wouldn't be hard to make something that wraps around the acog and could slide up or down the fiber optic to adjust brightness.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
which one?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Disclaimer. I am not an operator, door kicker, weapons expert, competitor, etc, etc. So don't be too critical. I have however owned several ACOGs (all with tritium and one with LED) and one Browe over the years. I have used both red and green reticles and several different magnifications and reticle patterns. I have fired both day and night matches. My most recent purchase is a TA110 LED 3.5X green horseshoe and it is my favorite by far. Reasons for choices follow

1. Shooting from dark areas to well lit areas I very often find the tritium/ fiber optic light reticle disappears. This doesn't happen with the LED. If it does I can turn a knob.

2. Reticle bloom. I have never really experienced it but I have never used one in Iraq or any other mega sunny area either. LED does away with this.

3. The night course I fired, granted it was a few years ago, the tritium reticle and other lines were essentially absent for the most part as far as acquisition and engagement. I understand that isn't the intent for the tritium but the LED functions more like an Aimpoint would and is adjustable to boot.

4. Cant say anything as to durability of an LED right now. The data on the LED is exponentially less as it has not been fielded to the degree the tritium has. Even if it was I am sure it would be a bit less durable due to the simple fact there is more shit to go south. A vast vast majority will never have this issue I bet. Even if it does the etched reticle is still present for normal engagements. Having said that battery life of 12000 hours on a setting 4 of 6 is awesome. BTW 4 is bright as hell and much more than you will need a majority of the time depending on your location of course.
ETA for frame of reference: 1 year is 8760 hours.

5. I can say I love the adjustment knob of the ACOG LED, especially over the Browe push button method. It is much more K.I.S.S. IMO This of course is my personal preference. I am also a huge fan of the Leupold HAMR which is essentially the same type optic as an LED ACOG but it has been discontinued.

6. Speaking on personal preferences, magnification, reticle colors, and patterns are all geared to your personal preference and environment. They are very subjective to each individual.
View Quote
Thanks, you addressed the pros/cons I was going over in my head and answered the questions I haven't asked yet as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
which one?
View Quote
I'm pretty sure it's this one

But damn, at 36.9 oz why. I think the British use it for their new LMT DMR with a rmr on the top picatinny rail.
I think some countries use them as LMG sights as well, I remember seeing a video of one, but can't recall who.

Again, it wouldn't be hard to make something that slid over the fiber optic on any of the current ACOGs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can buy fat black plastic staws for cheap. The .240" diameter or .300" diameter will work.

Cut the black straw slightly shorter than the fiber optic tube.

Cut it again in half.

Then slit the straws lengthwise in a straight line.

The straws will completely cover the fiber optic if you don't want any glow. You can slip one of the straws over the edge of the other straw and slide it down until you get the brightness you desire.

They will stay on the fiber optic and not leave any sticky residue like tape does.
View Quote
Damn fine idea.........thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#15]
If Aimpoints and Eotech bloom because of astigmatism will the LED ACOG?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If Aimpoints and Eotech bloom because of astigmatism will the LED ACOG?
View Quote
no
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Day, velcro fiber cover:

Night, kydex chemlight civer:

Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Day, velcro fiber cover:
http://rs296.pbsrc.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/DSCN1439.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

http://rs1219.pbsrc.com/albums/dd427/rrt1875/IMG_1404_zps0646f3fd.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
http://rs1219.pbsrc.com/albums/dd427/rrt1875/IMG_1406_zps9c779484.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
How well does that cemlight cover work? I heard there is not enough output for the fiber rod
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To be honest, I'm surprised that no one has made a product to do that. It wouldn't be hard to make something that wraps around the acog and could slide up or down the fiber optic to adjust brightness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's called bicycle inner tube
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How well does that cemlight cover work? I heard there is not enough output for the fiber rod
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Day, velcro fiber cover:
http://rs296.pbsrc.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/DSCN1439.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

http://rs1219.pbsrc.com/albums/dd427/rrt1875/IMG_1404_zps0646f3fd.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
http://rs1219.pbsrc.com/albums/dd427/rrt1875/IMG_1406_zps9c779484.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
a 1" chemlight works very well
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
just use tape
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

just use tape
View Quote
meh.
to me that's still a band-aid to a problem with the ACOG. I mean it works, but...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the tritium fineroptic ACOGs.

The reticle is fantastic, and...... there are no batteries. None. It will literally last for a decade plus before you have to send it back to re-fit the Illum-tube.

Fuck fancy shit. Go with the one that works better
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Started looking into buying another ACOG. Trijicon now offers an led powered ACOG.

Has anyone had experience with both? Likes/dislikes of the led ACOG?
View Quote

If you want an LED ACOG, buy the Browe, it’s a better product. Better glass, better LED tech, and better reticle intensity tech.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Browe, had a LED Acog, and have 5 or 6 FO Trit Acogs.  The Browe and LED are significantly heavier and even though they work great I like the simplicity, always on, and light weight of the standard ACOGS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

it's called bicycle inner tube
View Quote
This, I use several and slip them one over the other...

I use bicycle inner tubes for a lot things. Makes the best sling control bands.

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been wanting to try one of the new LED ACOGs, I have no interest in the traditional ones.

Why?

Despite the tape fix mentioned here for toning down the fiber optic, what about when your're in the shade shooting towards somewhere very bright?  I first experienced this in Afghanistan in 2002.  I was a SAW gunner but my gun got "detached" for gate duty so I got to have whoever was at the gate's M4 when they went there.  I pulled a few shifts in a foxhole with an M4 that had an ACOG on it (we got 2 per squad right before leaving, the first I had heard of the optic or Trijicon) and I knew nothing of how it worked (fiber optic and tritium weren't even in my vocabulary at 18) but immediately noticed when I was standing the dark fox hole looking out the reticle was fairly washed out around bright rocks yet when I was in direct sunlight it was brighter than hell.

Too inconsistent for me  I want it to be full bright 99% of the time no matter if I'm in the shade or not and if it is too bright I can simply adjust a dial down.  I'm used to battery powered devices and will gladly "pay the penalty" to have the same illumination no matter what kind of lighting is in my immediate vicinity.

The LED units have caught my eye though.  I've been pondering one for my SR-25 ACC but I just haven't been able to give up the close-in utility that the Comp M5 give me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine on its current mount. 6.5mm Grendel. Haven't had the opportunity to take it out yet with the ACOG mounted yet though.

Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you want an LED ACOG, buy the Browe, it’s a better product. Better glass, better LED tech, and better reticle intensity tech.
View Quote
Im going to agree with this. The only thing that the LED ACOG does better is battery life. With the Browe, you can be in any lighting condition shooting into any other lighting condition and have the reticle adjust itself *in real time*. It will never bloom and it will never wash out on you; shining my Malkoff super throw head on a wall 10 feet away will not wash it out.

Now, if we're talking about the good old Fiber/Trit ACOG vs the Browe....then its a reasonable debate between the two. No batteries needed and a good 5.5oz lighter versus an always perfect illumination system.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#30]

My set up when I had a ACOG...

Have not had one for years... and that's why... I want a reticle I can see in ANY condition....
Tritium sucks for "I need a reticle right now"
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top