Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/30/2015 9:07:01 PM EDT
I got this out of the deal: Early, unmarked, 2 "E" clip bipod and an original 601 lightweight cleaning rod.  My 601 "package" ,as delivered to the military now only needs either a green handle bayo, or brown handle one.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:21:33 PM EDT
Very nice Rob. What did you trade for it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:34:21 PM EDT
Very nice, good luck find a bayo!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:34:40 PM EDT
Score!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:36:31 PM EDT
Nice score dude, as I just said in our email, congrats on the unicorn!

Todd
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:55:38 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:
View Quote

Shhhh,, it's a secret!!  I will only say I was extremely pleased,, so was he!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:58:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By m1sniper:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

Bah!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:22:33 PM EDT
just incase you guys don't know the cleaning rod variations (i had to look it up).  here's a pic and details courtesy of willyp

AR15/M16 cleaning rod sets
Top to bottom:
1)4pc lightweight metal, knurled handle w/tip & bore brush (Colt), 1959-1964?
2)3pc M11E2 military rod set, T-handle w/tip & bore brush, military set 1966?
3)4pc M11E3 military set, early variant w/horizontal hole in T-handle as M11E2, came w/tip, bore brush & chamber brush, E1(not shown), E2 & E3 sets had different threading than the Colt provided sets & took the chamber brush which came into service approximately 1964-1965, E3 sets came into service approximately 1968-69.
4) 4pc M11E3 military set, same as #3 but had the hole in the T-handle drilled in a horizontal position.
5) 4pc knurled handle, similiar to #1 but handle/rod lengths are different, these sets are usually id'd as Colt "commercial" items & were supplied w/SP1 models also, the set shown came out of military stores from the 60's. Most probably provided by Colt w/th rifles around 63-64 between the 601 set (#1) & phase in of the first military set M11 (not shown).
6) 4pc knurled handle set, this is the same as the above (#5) but came w/a new Colt 6920 in 11/08, this set also came w/a chamber brush.
There were also 2 other military rods which are not shown (I haven't found either set yet to photograph, if anyone has a set of either for sale/trade please let me know), the M11 set which was a 3pc knurled handle set, it came w/a bore brush & tip, approximately 1964, then the M11E1, which was another 3pc knurled handle set, same lengths as the M11 but it used different threading, came w/a tip, bore brush & chamber brush (believed to be the reason for the different threading), it also had a smoothed area around the knurling on the handle, reportedly this would indicate at a glance that is could be used w/the newly introduced chamber brushes, I have also been told many of the original M11E1 sets were actually modified to M11E2 standard, one of the reasons the M11E1's are so hard to find, approximately (1964-1965)
View Quote

guess i know more about my bipod now.  thanks for confirming rob.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/656990_Need_some_early_bipod_expertise_here.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:27:54 PM EDT
Anyone of those items alone are very difficult to find never mind all three that amazingly stayed togeather. Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:42:51 PM EDT
Actually LL, I took the info you gave me, plus what Bill wrote in the milsurps thread, then contacted Tgus to see if Bills info jived with what Tgus has. Tgus gave me the specifics whereas Bill just mentions that they were wider and also states the E clips were shiny. On mine, one is, other not.
On yours, are the legs slightly wider then the other bipods? Is the rib running down the legs also a tad wider?? Are your E clips shiny? If yes, then yours is matching Bills and Tgus info.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:43:36 PM EDT
A whole other level of sickness That is an awesome score!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:49:14 PM EDT
BTW, if anyone has the rod marked # 4 in willps pic and wants to sell, please let me know. I'd like to get one for the guy I did my trade with. Please note the location of the hole in the handle on #4. TIA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:49:40 PM EDT
Actually LL, I took the info you gave me, plus what Bill wrote in the milsurps thread, then contacted Tgus to see if Bills info jived with what Tgus has. Tgus gave me the specifics whereas Bill just mentions that they were wider and also states the E clips were shiny. On mine, one is, other not.
On yours, are the legs slightly wider then the other bipods? Is the rib running down the legs also a tad wider?? Are your E clips shiny? If yes, then yours is matching Bills and Tgus info.
View Quote

slightly wider spread, maybe 1/8" or 1/4" on each side.
rib running down side is wider
E-clip isn't shiny but look to see if yours matches mine.  couldn't make it out in your pic.  the double headed one has the 2 cutouts that are more circle-like matching the outside of the clip and the middle divider is more straight.  the colt/armalite ones are more like ears, kind of like a radiation symbol.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:02:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By boywonder777:

E-clip isn't shiny but look to see if yours matches mine.  couldn't make it out in your pic.  the double headed one has the 2 cutouts that are more circle-like matching the outside of the clip and the middle divider is more straight.  the colt/armalite ones are more like ears, kind of like a radiation symbol.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k517/s0b3/20140923_221359.jpg
View All Quotes

From the little info we've gathered, I'm definitely calling yours good to go!!! So, do we name them now?? 1st pattern Armalite bipod???
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:04:41 PM EDT

From the little info we've gathered, I'm definitely calling yours good to go!!! So, do we name them now?? 1st pattern Armalite bipod???
View All Quotes

version beta.0?  

everything was fine until the engineer said this would be a lot easier to assemble if one head was enlarged, that was we only have to clip one side.

then the marketing guy said well since we're making changes, i'll get a stamp made.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:07:20 PM EDT

version beta.0?  

everything was fine until the engineer said this would be a lot easier to assemble if one head was enlarged, that was we only have to clip one side.

then the marketing guy said well since we're making changes, i'll get a stamp made.

View All Quotes

version beta.0?  

Yeah,yeah,, I'll go with that!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:10:16 PM EDT
Wow, Way to go - although this thread gives me both major retro envy accompanied by a retro headache

I am often glad I have a more minor case of RBRD... my wallet is thankful as well.  Cool stuff though!  

(now I have to go look at my bipod one more time to verify clip configuration )
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:04:59 AM EDT
I hope to make it to the Springfield MA Militaria show in June and talk with Bill Ricca and show him my bipod like the one pictured along with a cleaning rod and pouch.
Top Top