Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2004 6:28:46 AM EDT
Are there any restrictions or limits re: Tracer use/ownership/possession?

legality is foremost question.

perhaps fire hazzard in super dry areas?

other?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Check local/state laws.   Using tracer (mil-spec) will start a fire in dry debris.  I have shot them into a backstop and seen them sit there and burn.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Most states do not specifically prohibit ownership of tracers.

All states specifically prohibit reckless use of tracers.

Most states specifically prohibit casual use of tracers.

To my knowledge, you are free to shoot them on private property.

So these statements are to characterize my opinion if you are caught shooting them, you'll probably be told to stop.  At the most, a ticket and confiscation.  They might even confiscate if you possess them in a prohibited area.

I have been shooting tracers from many, many years.  No one has ever said anything to me about it.  But I don't shoot tracers where they are specifically prohibited either.  Never during fire season and never in areas prone to a fire hazard.

I have never started a fire.  But I mostly shoot in the air...long range.  Yes they do burn, even when they sit there and burn for awhile, they usually go out.  Most of the time they do not start a fire.  You must always be prepared to put out a fire if you shoot tracers.  Unless you shoot in a dry, parched grass/leaves, you don't have much to worry about.  Tracers fires don't usually start in the dirt and the rocks.  Better to shoot tracers when it cool or moist.

But I know tracers will start huge fires because we started them everytime we shot them in the military on the range.  If you shoot tracers, be prepared to take responsibility.  Check your local laws.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
good info and advice

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
they are a serious fire hazzard, I would not reccomend them except at night when you need to show the rest of your fireteam the location of contact

in other words its a bad bad idea
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely, tracers are a serious fire hazard.

But....nowhere near as hazardous as tannerite, campfires, vehicles backfiring in the woods, and lightning strikes.  And these aren't even due to carelessness.

Understand that there is a potential for a fire, watch where you shoot, wait around after you finish shooting to make sure the area you shot at is not kindling, and you won't be causing any forest fires like many other people who do using the "harmless" methods above.

I have to defend tracer because there are gun people who hate them and attack them needlessly just like there are non-gun people who attack guns without the facts.  If you just remember safety, you'll be alright.  If tracers were really that bad, the sale and possession of them would be illegal.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top