Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 10:24:51 PM EDT
About how long will it take for a tracer to "light up" after it leaves the barrel? Is it immediate, or does it need a distance to be effective? The reason I ask is because I recently bought some, but the only place I have to shoot it will be no longer than 50 yards. Thanks.

Jake
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That's to short a distance. I think they light at about 100 yards.

Aint nothing like shooting tracers at a target 1000 yards away.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Lotboy...I see your from AZ.  Be carefull shooting tracers in the desert, they can start fires...dont ask

Like you said, nothing like seeing that tracer go 1000 yards down range from my M1 garand.

Jason
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
About how long will it take for a tracer to "light up" after it leaves the barrel? Is it immediate, or does it need a distance to be effective? The reason I ask is because I recently bought some, but the only place I have to shoot it will be no longer than 50 yards. Thanks.

Jake
View Quote

If you're talking about .223 tracers (M196 and M856 spec), I believe they're meant to ignite between 50 and 75 yards, with a maximum effective range (based on tracer burnout) of 500 yards for the M196 and 875 yards for the M856.  Sometimes, however, they ignite before they ever leave the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Jake --

You'll probably not see military tracers at 50 yards or only a few of them.  The tracer element only burns for a very short period of time and there's no need to trace short range fire.

I don't have my notes handy, but I doubt US 5.56mm tracers burn much beyond 400 or 500 meters.  7.62mm will go to 800 or so, but they're much larger.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jake --

You'll probably not see military tracers at 50 yards or only a few of them.  The tracer element only burns for a very short period of time and there's no need to trace short range fire.

I don't have my notes handy, but I doubt US 5.56mm tracers burn much beyond 400 or 500 meters.  7.62mm will go to 800 or so, but they're much larger.

-- Chuck
View Quote

Correct.  The last layer of pyrotechnic mixture is called the dim igniter element.  It burns but with a very low glow and this is what igites the next layer which is the actual tracer mixture.  Someone figured out that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have the tracer mixture ignite right out of the barrel as you don't need to see the tracer for short distances (< 50 yards).  More importantly, this also helps to conceal the shooter (Remember Murphy's Rules of Combat--Tracers work both ways!).
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I need to scare up somewhere to fire em off without burning up half of Texas.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top