Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:10:40 PM EDT
i need a torque wrench for my need barrel...wheres the best/cheapest one i can buy online? prolly wont use it but once or twice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do you need a torque wrench?  Just to install the barrel nut on the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yea i was under the impression it had to be a certain tightness to be safe.?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
the threads are pretty coarse and the torque recommendation is 35 ft lbs.  So just follow the directions posted on this site and you will be okay.  As long as some moderate force is used, you will have enough torque.

35 ft lbs. isn't that much...  A spark plus is around 15 ft lbs.   And a lug nut at 85-100 for comparison.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yea i was under the impression it had to be a certain tightness to be safe.?

Nawww... you just have to get it snug.... then tighten until the next gas tube notch lines up.  I suppose a torque wrench wouldnt hurt for your first build to understand about how much 25-35 ft-lbs is..... but I own a t-wrench, but have never used one on an AR.  If you are really nervous... by all means do it.  But I sure dont find it necessary.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Harbor Freight has one for $19.00 (click here). I  have this one and it works fine.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to your local auto parts store that gives out loaner tools.  Purchase some thing cheap such as a lug nut and tell them you would like to borrow one(usually requires a deposit).  As long as you remember to bring back the wrench it'll only cost you the cost of the lug nut, consider it rent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go to your local auto parts store that gives out loaner tools.  Purchase some thing cheap such as a lug nut and tell them you would like to borrow one(usually requires a deposit).  As long as you remember to bring back the wrench it'll only cost you the cost of the lug nut, consider it rent.

good thinking for a 1x or very limited use.

Harbor freight ones should serve you well. They're not as accurate as something used over at NASA, but for general purposes, it's "close enough".
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]
When I first started building AR's I bought a torque wrench, but tossed it after a couple builds.  It's really not needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]
so long as i tighten it more than a sparkplug but alittle less than a lugnut on a tire it should be ok?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
a lot less than a lug nut...

What you are trying to avoid is the instance of where you a torque wrench to get to 35 ft lbs and you are nearly a whole hole off from getting it alighned and you end up 85 ft lbs plus to get it there.

Like I said, the threads are course and once it starts to tighten up, the forces increases very fast in relation to nut movement.

I am not sure how strong you are, but 35 ft lbs is achievable with arm strength alone and "not" applying body weight or bracing yourself against something with more force.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a torque wrench for the times that you may get close to the 80lbs limit.  I can get the 35lbs just by hand but incase you have to really increase the torque I use the torque wrench to keep from going over 80lbs to align the barrel nut for the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I use a torque wrench for the times that you may get close to the 80lbs limit.  I can get the 35lbs just by hand but incase you have to really increase the torque I use the torque wrench to keep from going over 80lbs to align the barrel nut for the gas tube.

So... with this method..... what do you do if the first hole isnt enough torque.... but the next one is going to take over the 80LBS?

For instance... on several occasions I have seen when the first hole lines up with only 20lbs.... but to get to the next one, I have to get REALLY close if not over 80lbs....  In those cases, I just work it back on forth 5 or 6 times, to smooth out the threads just a bit, and this lets me line it up without overtorquing.... but it is still really tight in this stiuation.  I just do it by feel now....  but since you are actually using the wrench, what do you do to remedy the situation?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So... with this method..... what do you do if the first hole isnt enough torque.... but the next one is going to take over the 80LBS?

For instance... on several occasions I have seen when the first hole lines up with only 20lbs.... but to get to the next one, I have to get REALLY close if not over 80lbs....  In those cases, I just work it back on forth 5 or 6 times, to smooth out the threads just a bit, and this lets me line it up without overtorquing.... but it is still really tight in this stiuation.  I just do it by feel now....  but since you are actually using the wrench, what do you do to remedy the situation?

If its a new receiver I torque it to 40-45lbs three times loosening it between each time and then on the final torque if 35lbs isn't enough to align it and it will need more than 80lbs to align the next slot.  You'll need either another reciever or a new barrel nut.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Tools are like guns.... even if I don't use them all the time I need a whole collection....

I have Craftsman Torque wrenches and love them....  I have two, one in inch-pounds and the other in ft-pounds
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You have them, but do you use them for AR barrel installations?

I have them.... but I dont use them.  Once you have torqued a few nuts you get the feel, and you understand how hard it is to screw up an AR barrel.  One gas tube slot alignment will be obviously too loose, the next will be within range..... so whats the point?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tools are like guns.... even if I don't use them all the time I need a whole collection....

I have Craftsman Torque wrenches and love them....  I have two, one in inch-pounds and the other in ft-pounds

You have them, but do you use them for AR barrel installations?

And... YES, I do use them....  With teh AR-15 it really isn't all that critical but when you do other projects it is more critical...  I follow the following manual when I build...

quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/tm9-1005-319-23.pdf
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top