Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2014 9:49:31 PM EDT
What tools do I need to build an AR? I'm going to college so the only tools I'll have are a set of action blocks, multi tool and vice. What I'm asking is what punches, hammers, etc?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you have a stock wrench, a small hammer, a small set of roll pin punches, and a flat blade screw driver, you can build a lower. I built my first one with a nail punch and a framing hammer and a cheapo $3 gun show special stock wrench.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You will want a good roll pin punch set, a brass hammer, and some needle nose pliers. A set of Allen wrenches may be a good idea too. Sometimes the pistol grip screw has a Allen head screw, not to mention they come in handy for railed handguard installations and a few other applications.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
-Any hammer. It doesnt have to be fancy. Seriously. Small is preferable, but if its regular size then just grip it on the head.
-Flat punch
-Center punch (what you will use for roll pins and the stake job)
-Vice + block
-Random grease, anti seize, OMG TACTICAL AEROSHELL33MGERRRREDD, molly grease, whatever.
-Torque wrench w/ barrel nut wrench
-Long flat head (for the grip screw)
-Maybe consider loctite but its not necessary. Some companies like to go full retard with that stuff
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
A set of vise grips comes in handy for doing roll pins as well. Put some painters tape on the jaws so you don't mar the finish on your receiver.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Do y'all have any preference where to buy from?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]
You'll want a good armorers wrench, I have this one from Gem State Armory, it's very nice well made.  A lot of the cheaper ones will break pretty easily. Another must have is a set of roll pin punches, they make dealing with roll pins 100x easier.  Other basic tools that you need are a hammer, various screw drivers, allen and torx wrenches for some hand guards.  A Geiselle reaction rod is very nice to have if you are installing barrels or muzzle devices.  Also a set of small pliers come in very handy, needle nose especially.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I use brass punches for the roll pins, less likely to mar the finish.

I bought mine from Amazon for like 30 dollars, namebrand was Grace I believe.

Also invest in a reaction rod and not a viceblock, and spend the 8 bucks on a gas tube roll pin starter.

When I built my first AR I almost started throwing my tools through my window just trying to set that thing up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do y'all have any preference where to buy from?
View Quote

I bought all my tools from Brownells.  I made sure they were all "Made in USA" and am happy with what I got.

Small hammer w/ nylon & brass heads, Grace roll pin & punch sets, armorer's multi tool, "NRA edition" screwdriver set has the bits you need & not the ones you don't. I even ordered a small tool box to throw everything in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Grace makes great punches. I agree on the gas block roll pin starter punch and I also bought a bolt catch punch which makes it easier installing the bolt catch pin. Painters tape is also good to have for tape the lower in case you slip with a punch.  It makes it easier if you have the right tools and prevents mishaps, most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use brass punches for the roll pins, less likely to mar the finish.

I bought mine from Amazon for like 30 dollars, namebrand was Grace I believe.

Also invest in a reaction rod and not a viceblock, and spend the 8 bucks on a gas tube roll pin starter.

When I built my first AR I almost started throwing my tools through my window just trying to set that thing up.
View Quote

Reaction rod is best for muzzle devices only and a poor idea for barrel nuts. Receiver vice blocks are for barrel nuts.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#11]
^^^Yep^^^
Even though I've been at this for decades I just got a set of roll pin starter punches off  Amazon. Maybe they will make the job a little easier. I also have smooth jaw channel lock pliers to press pins in if I want.
Don't forget to get a 1/4 inch diameter clevis pin at the hardware store to help put in the front pivot pin.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top